[Split From Thread In Harlequin] Song of Solomon, etc.

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

[Split From Thread In Harlequin] Song of Solomon, etc.

Post by Marvin D. »

Termite wrote:
Peeta wrote:
Pip wrote:um...no...the Bible is very rarely graphic, and even then, it's not really that bad. Ya, there's plenty of violence and wars, but it's practically never vividly described.
I agree. The worst is. .when that dude in Judges chopped up his daughter into twelve pieces :p It's not really. .violent.
I mean, have either of you read Song of Solomon? ;)
Song of Solomons is graphic and violent? :-
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Regardless googley eyes remain to not be sexual content for any age so I demand the debate to continue! \:D/
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Peeta wrote:
Termite wrote:
Peeta wrote:
Pip wrote:um...no...the Bible is very rarely graphic, and even then, it's not really that bad. Ya, there's plenty of violence and wars, but it's practically never vividly described.
I agree. The worst is. .when that dude in Judges chopped up his daughter into twelve pieces :p It's not really. .violent.
It's fairly graphically sexual on its own, and then you take the "what they're actually saying/what deeper meaning this has" interpretations made by Bible scholars and it's even worse.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Ginny Weasley wrote:
Peeta wrote:
Termite wrote:
Peeta wrote:
It's fairly graphically sexual on its own, and then you take the "what they're actually saying/what deeper meaning this has" interpretations made by Bible scholars and it's even worse.
What on earth do you mean by 'worse'?
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Worse=better! \:D/

Although in all honesty I often wonder how SoS has remained as part of holy scripture after many councils and things like Enoch get thrown out.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I have read Song of Solomon, and I would hesitate to call it graphic in any way...

edit: Okay, perhaps graphic works, but it's certainly NOT erotic.
TigerintheShadows

Jelly wrote:
Ginny Weasley wrote:
Peeta wrote:
Termite wrote:
Peeta wrote:
What on earth do you mean by 'worse'?
You know how sometimes when you take the full meaning behind something and you really think about it and it seems even more awesome/evil/serious/whatever? It's that kind of thing, at least for me.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Pip wrote:I have read Song of Solomon, and I would hesitate to call it graphic in any way...

edit: Okay, perhaps graphic works, but it's certainly NOT erotic.
Dude, it's totally erotic. :P How is it anything else? For this reason the church has been so unsure about how to approach it for the longest time. The problem there, of course, is the absurd notion that sexual expression is sinful and ungodly. Song of Solomon reminds us that sexual expression, in the correct context, is beautiful and should be exercised freely. Instead, the church has always pushed for an allegorical approach between God and the church, as a way of reconciling its place in the official Biblical cannon for themselves.

The beautiful thing about SoS is that it is purely a work of art, and as such, it can be approached in almost any fashion and still speak to the heart of the reader. The original intention of the text is unknown, so we're free to interpret it pretty much however we wish (within reason). \:D/
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Erotic means arrousing sexual desire. SoS is not intended to arouse sexual desire. It's descriptive of the beauty of sexuality, yes, but not erotic. In fact, it even says "do not awaken love until you are ready" or some such thing.
Jelly wrote:Song of Solomon reminds us that sexual expression, in the correct context, is beautiful and should be exercised freely.
Yes, and erotica is not the correct context.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Pip wrote:Erotic means arrousing sexual desire. SoS is not intended to arouse sexual desire.
dude..
Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth—
for your love is more delightful than wine.
Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes;
your name is like perfume poured out.
No wonder the young women love you!
Take me away with you—let us hurry!
Let the king bring me into his chambers.
While the king was at his table,
my perfume spread its fragrance.
My beloved is to me a sachet of myrrh
resting between my breasts.
My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blossoms
from the vineyards of En Gedi.
This, my friend, is ancient erotica at its finest. 'Arousing sexual desire' is probably a line directly from the book itself. Why try to defend it? There's nothing wrong with some good ol' biblical erotica. ;)
Pip wrote:
Jelly wrote:Song of Solomon reminds us that sexual expression, in the correct context, is beautiful and should be exercised freely.
Sure it is. Who are you to say what the correct context is?
Last edited by jelly on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerintheShadows

It's a romance between a man and his wife. From the wedding night onward, a couple will experience erotica. It's a fact of life, and I think that it's a good thing that the Bible has such a book. I pretty much agree with everything Jelly has said on this subject.
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

This topic is becoming weird, split it again, I say! \:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ginny Weasley wrote:It's a romance between a man and his wife. From the wedding night onward, a couple will experience erotica. It's a fact of life, and I think that it's a good thing that the Bible has such a book. I pretty much agree with everything Jelly has said on this subject.
...erotica is not an experience or feeling.... Erotica is literature or art dealing with sexual love, in which case, SoS is erotica. But, erotica generally has the "sexual arousal of the reader/viewer" as it's main purpose. SoS certainly does not have the sexual arousal of the reader as it's main purpose.
If one feels aroused by it, frankly, one is not mature enough to be reading it. However, it has an air about it that is not lascivious or lewd. It is merely beautiful.
Jelly wrote:
Pip wrote:
Sure it is. Who are you to say what the correct context is?
I am an ordinary person with a rudimentary understanding of the basics of aesthetics. If you're referring to the "beautiful erotica" which merely deals with sexual love, than I would say you are correct, but if you are referring to the erotica which "arouses sexual desire in the reader," than I would say that is absolutely not the correct context. (This is not just some idea I contrived from my ultra-conservative homeschooled ignorant brain. This is established aesthetics.)

I'd love to continue this argument about the basics of aesthetics with you all, but it's not appropriate for this topic or this forum in general.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Pip wrote:Erotica is literature or art dealing with sexual love, in which case, SoS is erotica.
..'nuff said. ;)

The problem you're addressing is our culture's mindset in regards to 'erotica', or in contrast, the average Christian's response to it. Sexual expression is intended to be a beautiful thing (SoS illustrates this explicitly), but society has twisted and objectified it, and in response, the church has struggled throughout the centuries with going the opposite extreme and condemning sexual expression entirely.
Pip wrote:I'd love to continue this argument about the basics of aesthetics with you all, but it's not appropriate for this topic or this forum in general.
I must have forgotten that we're not allowed to analyze biblical text on a Christian forum. :(
TigerintheShadows

Jelly wrote:
Pip wrote:I'd love to continue this argument about the basics of aesthetics with you all, but it's not appropriate for this topic or this forum in general.
I must have forgotten that we're not allowed to analyze biblical text on a Christian forum. :(
I think he was referring to the nature of the conversation, because there are younger users here and the constant usage of terms like "erotica" and "sexual expression" are not necessarily to be thrown about when kids could see them. I'm not exactly the biggest Moral Guardian ever...but it's worth mentioning.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Ginny Weasley wrote:
Jelly wrote:
I think he was referring to the nature of the conversation, because there are younger users here and the constant usage of terms like "erotica" and "sexual expression" are not necessarily to be thrown about when kids could see them. I'm not exactly the biggest Moral Guardian ever...but it's worth mentioning.
Then they really shouldn't be on here in the first place.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Knight Fisher wrote:
Ginny Weasley wrote:
Jelly wrote:
Then they really shouldn't be on here in the first place.
Word.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This is a family-friendly forum. Kids should be on here. Explicit discussion should not. ;)

At least, not on the main forums...
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Sex in the Bible is great, though. \:D/ It's the perfect context for getting introduced to it.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Jelly wrote:
Pip wrote:Erotica is literature or art dealing with sexual love, in which case, SoS is erotica.
..'nuff said. ;)

The problem you're addressing is our culture's mindset in regards to 'erotica', or in contrast, the average Christian's response to it. Sexual expression is intended to be a beautiful thing (SoS illustrates this explicitly), but society has twisted and objectified it, and in response, the church has struggled throughout the centuries with going the opposite extreme and condemning sexual expression entirely.
No, this is not just the culture's mindset. The term 'erotica,' in most cases has the implication of arousing sexual desire. It even says so in the dictionary. It meant that 70 years ago. I get what you're saying, and I agree with it, but just don't use the term 'erotica,' because anyone, even a scholar, who hears that is probably not going to think "beautiful sexual expression."
Jelly wrote:
I meant Finneman's Market, not the whole ToO. ;)