Bible Translations

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Bible Translations

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Which Bible translation do you use? Is there one that's "correct" and the others are wrong?

We used to go to a very legalistic church that basically said the King James and New King James were the only correct versions, and how dare anyone read an ESV or NIV or anything else. So, while I do think that some versions aren't correct, the major ones, KJV, NKJV, ESV, NIV, and New American Standard I'm okay with.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

My church is actually doing a class right now on the Dead Sea Scrolls and how it affected translations. Its really interesting. The lecturer giving the talk said that the Dead Sea Scrolls gave a lot of weight to the Septuagint text that the version I use is based on; the St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint. I do believe that is the correct one. As for the NIV I don't care for some of the translations they did in the sense that they were not very literal and I believed tried to modernize it too much, not obviously to the extent the Message or others did but more than is proper I think.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I use NIrV (New International Readers' Version) which is a simpler version of the NIV. I also read the King James, but that's a bit confusing at times (though I can understand it most of the time). I also like using the one of the Spanish translations (when I can understand it), because the different language sometimes gives a new meaning to the passage I never thought of before.
Last edited by Astronomer on Fri May 18, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I use the NKJV and I've been using this Bible since 2000, but it's really worn out now so I'm planning on buying a KJV. I honestly don't think that it's hard to understand what a NKJV Bible is saying compared to the NIV. I used the NIV when I was like 5 and 6 but then I realized that they cut out verses so I got a NKJV for Christmas.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

In fact all translations are inaccurate. So if you are going to be really strict you should be saying everyone has to learn Greek and Hebrew. Not they have to read KJV. Somehow I doubt they used Thee's and Thou's in ancient Rome.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

KJV isn't a very accurate translation comparatively and it makes me want to stab things when people insist it is the only version that should be used.

NASB and ESV are the most accurate available translations... I use NASB but would like to pick up an ESV eventually.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Though, sometimes, word for word is not as actual as thought for thought.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Astronomer wrote:Though, sometimes, word for word is not as actual as thought for thought.
But who are we to have the final say in what the thought was?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I use the KJV simply because that was my first Bible and I never really got around getting any other translation Bibles. :P
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

NIV and several other version of the Bible change the world slightly but in reality according to the origanal greek and scholars it actualy is a huge difference.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Knight Fisher wrote:
Astronomer wrote:Though, sometimes, word for word is not as actual as thought for thought.
But who are we to have the final say in what the thought was?
True, but we also would not have the same mindset as the people in that time. Therefore, either way we cannot have a completely accurate translation. We'll just have to try and understand it as best we can. Which is why several translations of the Bible is usually best.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

In our church's Sunday School time recently, they have been going over the different translations and where they came from. The man teaching about it has been very good...giving arguments on both sides. I can tell that he personally thinks that the KJV or NKJV is best, but he's not KJV only or bashing those who use other literal translations. (Like me, with the NASB. :- )
It's been quite interesting. There are 2 text types, Byzantine and Alexandrian, also known as the Majority and Minority texts. There are apparently 5,000+ texts that have been found at present, some full books, some passages, some single verses. About 200 of those texts are classified as the Alexandrian texts, being found in Egypt. Those are the Minority texts, and all translations other than the KJV have been translated from those. The Majority text type, with thousands of texts, is what the KJV and NKJV were translated from.

Anyway, I've enjoyed learning more about how and why people have decided on certain translations. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

"The Book" is the only valid translation ever! \:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I've heard NRSV is the most accurate...My church generally uses NIV, but we have NRSV Bibles as well and sometimes it is helpful to read both versions to get a better understanding of the text. Like where the NIV uses the word "Counselor" in reference to the Holy Spirit when Jesus is talking, the NRSV uses "Advocate" which the word "Counselor" CAN be...but usually doesn't IMPLY. So I think it's just good to use a couple different versions sometimes, kind of like using a Spanish Bible, like Astronomer mentioned.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Blitz wrote:NIV and several other version of the Bible change the world slightly but in reality according to the origanal greek and scholars it actualy is a huge difference.
The NIV also skips out on some entire verses. I noticed that when I was really young and wondered what was going on!!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Hadassah wrote:
Blitz wrote:NIV and several other version of the Bible change the world slightly but in reality according to the origanal greek and scholars it actualy is a huge difference.
The NIV also skips out on some entire verses. I noticed that when I was really young and wondered what was going on!!
Let us go to the wisdom of Laura. \:D/
Laura Ingalls wrote:It's been quite interesting. There are 2 text types, Byzantine and Alexandrian, also known as the Majority and Minority texts. There are apparently 5,000 texts that have been found at present, some full books, some passages, some single verses. About 200 of those texts are classified as the Alexandrian texts, being found in Egypt. Those are the Minority texts, and all translations other than the KJV have been translated from those. The Majority text type, with thousands of texts, is what the KJV and NKJV were translated from.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

My Church uses only KJV from the pulpit. NIV and NKJV are also widely used. Outside of those three and newer translations are generally not accepted anywhere.
John Chrysostom

Those two are widely accepted in Protestant circles but Catholic and Orthodox use different translations
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Ayn Rand wrote:Those two are widely accepted in Protestant circles but Catholic and Orthodox use different translations

Do you know what translations they use and their reasoning for doing so?
John Chrysostom

The Orthodox use various translations from the Septuagint because that was the text used in the Early Church. I believe the Catholics use the Vulgate which is a Latin text translated by Jerome but you'd have to ask Sherlock why and if Catholics still use that post Vatican II