Perfection?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Perfection?

Post by Astronomer »

Here is a question I've had for a few days. Is perfection attainable? I'm not talking about complete perfection (All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God), yet that verse is past-tense. Therefore, all have sinned. Once we become Christians, is it possible, with God, to be perfect? John says 'No on who is born of God will continue to sin'. Also we are to be 'perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect'. Does that mean we, with God's help, have the ability to attain perfection after becoming a Christian? Or was John meaning something else?
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I think C.S. Lewis summed up very well what the verse in John means.
C.S. Lewis wrote:The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were ‘gods’ and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I think God is continually working on us throughout this life, driving out our imperfections and making us more like Him, but I don't think anyone ever attains it in this life. I think we continue our whole lives marred by the fall, tainted by sin, and in a struggle with our flesh (Romans 7). But in another sense, we are totally perfect in God's sight because of the righteousness of Christ.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I'm perfect.

At being imperfect.

;)
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

Marvin D. wrote:I'm perfect.

At being imperfect.

;)
What Marvin said. :)
Last edited by Anemone on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I don't believe that perfection is attainable in this world. Sin came into the world and destroyed are perfectness, and it is not achievable until we die and go to heaven.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

But does that mean we don't aim for perfection? Or should we strive to be as perfect as can be while still living?
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I think we should strive for perfection.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I thing we should strive for perfection but can not fully obtain it until we are in heaven. However, I do believe before the time of Jesus that Enoch and Elijah had reached perfection and closeness with God that they were ascended into heaven. If they had not reached perfection then they were the closest ones to reaching it.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Don't let your spiritual quest ever be about gaining "it", but about seeking HIM. Isn't that the basis of Enoch's standing with God--for whom he was seeking? Doesn't that seem to be the idea put forth in the few verses concerning Enoch in Hebrews 11?
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Thank you for all your posts. All lot of it I had thought already, but some stuff was good to re-enforce and other stuff I had never thought about before.

Still, what are your thoughts on 1 John 3:9 "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God." (NIV)
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Have you read the ESV version? It's basically saying that if we make a practice of sin without remorse, we probably aren't of God. Big difference.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Marvin D. wrote:Have you read the ESV version? It's basically saying that if we make a practice of sin without remorse, we probably aren't of God. Big difference.
Yes, I like the wording in that much better. 'Make of practice of sinning' and 'continuing to sin' are quite different.
Thank you Marvin. You are quite helpful when you get serious.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

. .what are you saying, that I'm not serious?! :x

But seriously, sometimes certain versions are confusing. .that's why it's useful to read different ones :p It helps a lot. I like HCSB a lot, so I'd recommend it.

Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

I think that if we strive for perfection, we'll kill ourselves. (Impossible, you know) But because of our faith in Jesus, God sees Jesus' righteousness so trying to be perfect is not only impossible but pointless. Instead of striving for perfection, you should strive to bring glory to God.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Which is living a life holy and blameless. And if we're told to be blameless, I feel we should work on it, which does bring glory to God.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein