The Top 5 Regrets of Dying People

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

The Top 5 Regrets of Dying People

Post by Sherlock »

I'm reposting this from Facebook, for those who are interested. Definitely something to think about at least.

http://theburiedlife.tumblr.com/post/27 ... ing-people
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Not to be rude to the people who put this list together, but you've got to be a pretty selfish person to only regret not being more self-centered with your life.

Things I'll probably regret:
1. Not being kinder to my friends and family
2. Not telling more people about Jesus
3. Not serving God more passionately
4. Not having more compassion on others
5. The times when I've hurt others

And so on. I don't think I'll spend a second regretting the things I didn't do for myself. Rather, I will surely regret the times when I could've gave to others, and didn't.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Honestly, I don't think the person is trying to be more self-centered.
1. Living a life true to yourself could mean expressing your love for Jesus more when other people expect you to just conform. This could mean being a missionary when your parents expect you to be a dentist.
2. Working so hard takes time away from others. It's pretty self-centered to leave God and church and other stuff to the side for work.
3. Expressing your feelings about Jesus more, or telling people not to use coarse language or say bad jokes is good.
4. Staying in touch with your friends is kind.
5. You can't be happy unless you're at peace with God and the people around you. You can't be happy if you're continually hurting others around you. Living for Christ makes you happier.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Desiring to be happy is not at all selfish. You can be the most caring, wonderful Christian person but if you don't make a conscious decision to also be a happy person, you'll end up having a lot of regrets. Happiness is vital, both physically and psychologically. I would say that the Christian has a special obligation to try very hard to be happy, because the virtues promoted by Christianity ultimately stem from happiness.

How can you do good things for others if you ultimately have no idea how to be genuinely happy yourself?
Last edited by Sherlock on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I'm not sure I agree Christian virtues stem from happiness, if anything they stem from the denial of the passions and desires. Of course I guess it really depends on how you define happiness.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

A Christian is supposed to be joyful, but that doesn't necessarily equal happiness all the time.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I don't define happiness as an emotion, or walking around with a smile plastered all over your face but an act of the will to reject despair and vices and embrace virtue.