abortion bumper sticker

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

abortion bumper sticker

Post by bookworm »

I was behind a vehicle this morning that had a bumper sticker which read “Against abortion? Don’t have one.”

My initial reaction was that the statement was poorly founded. At first it seems like a quick jab at pro-lifers to mind their own business, but upon further thought it doesn’t hold up. This isn’t just a practice that you can tell people who don’t agree with it to not do it and stop complaining about people who chose to. To pro-life people abortion is murder, so it’s a totally different category. It would be like saying ‘If you think murder is wrong then don’t kill people, but stop telling others they can’t do it.’ It doesn’t make any sense. I thought the people who put that sticker up must not have thought through what it was actually saying.

But then I noticed something that made me think maybe they actually did. Right next to it was another bumper sticker. This one said “Some people are only alive because it’s illegal to shoot them.”
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

That second bumper sticker just shows what kind of person they are...

I agree with everything you said. Good post. I wish more people though like you.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I saw one that I quite liked, though, it does seem like it may not have been completely thought through (like your first one).

It said,
"Choose life...
Your mom did."

That one really spoke to me though, because (as some of you may or may not know) my mother couldn't handle a child financially, she considered aborting me, but (mostly because it wasn't the most popular back thing in '95) she decided to put me up for adoption instead.
So, at no more than two days old, I was picked up by my current family, and a few years later, I was officially adopted because my mom chose life.

So, I don't care if I offend people with my strong pro-life opinion.
It offends me that people would kill their children.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

JCGJ wrote:"Choose life...
Your mom did."
I’ve always liked that one, it’s about as simple as you can put it. And I think it is adequately founded.
The point is clear. Analyze the effects of your mom choosing life. You could have been aborted, but you weren’t. You are alive today because your mother decided to let you be born. If you appreciate that, then do the same for your children. If you don’t care that you could have been killed in the womb, there’s not much else to say.

Now, some might try to tear it apart by going the route of using an extreme parallel like ‘My mom smoked. By that logic I should chose to smoke because she did’ but obviously that isn’t what it’s saying. But even if you do want to apply it that way, it still works. Analyze the effects of your mom choosing to smoke. If you approve of them, then go ahead and do the same. If you don’t, then don’t. The principle is the same.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I like that smoking one!

I may need to use that some time.

((Posts like this would not happen if we had a "like" button... Just throwing that out there.))

-- Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 pm --

EDIT:
I just found another that I thought was worth sharing...

Just think about it...
If Mary were alive today, and randomly got pregnant, even though she was a virgin, would she have aborted?
I mean, just think about it.
They/Them
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

JCGJ wrote:If Mary were alive today, and randomly got pregnant, even though she was a virgin, would she have aborted?
No, she wouldn’t have. Mary trusted God enough to go through with it then, she would have done the same now.
It’s a good formula, it’s just the wrong character.

I think it would be more effective to use a more contemporary person, and realize what wouldn’t have happened if they had been aborted.
If Einstein had been aborted we may not have such advanced science today.
If Steve Jobs had been aborted we may not have such advanced technology.
Again, someone could attempt to flip it around and retort that if Hitler had been aborted we may not have had the Holocaust, but that’s an invalid comparison since it assumes Hitler was born predestined to be the way he turned out and there wouldn’t have been any other alternative.

You could also apply the idea into the future.
Thousands of babies are aborted every day. If they had been allowed to live, would one of them had discovered the cure for cancer?
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

This sort of goes with what bookworm was saying about aborted children that might have discovered a cure for a disease. I've seen a lot of those bumper stickers before, I'll try to to think of a few others that I've seen.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

bookworm wrote:
JCGJ wrote:If Mary were alive today, and randomly got pregnant, even though she was a virgin, would she have aborted?
No, she wouldn’t have. Mary trusted God enough to go through with it then, she would have done the same now.
It’s a good formula, it’s just the wrong character.

I think it would be more effective to use a more contemporary person, and realize what wouldn’t have happened if they had been aborted.
If Einstein had been aborted we may not have such advanced science today.
If Steve Jobs had been aborted we may not have such advanced technology.
Again, someone could attempt to flip it around and retort that if Hitler had been aborted we may not have had the Holocaust, but that’s an invalid comparison since it assumes Hitler was born predestined to be the way he turned out and there wouldn’t have been any other alternative.

You could also apply the idea into the future.
Thousands of babies are aborted every day. If they had been allowed to live, would one of them had discovered the cure for cancer?
I don't agree with that way of thinking. Should our reason against abortion be "that baby could be the next Einstein"? I think a better reason is "aborting that baby is killing a human life".

Plus, the whole "cure for cancer" thing subtracts from the sovereignity of God. If God is gonna give the world a cure for cancer, he'll make sure we get it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Vic wrote:Should our reason against abortion be "that baby could be the next Einstein"? I think a better reason is "aborting that baby is killing a human life".
I agree personally, but some people won’t accept that. You have to be able to make your case in a variety of ways. If they just want to debate the matter in terms of consequences, that’s one way.
But I wasn’t saying that should be the preferred argument for anything, I was merely supplying some other examples for JCGJ’s model.
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

i totally agree with Bookworm We need to get as many argument under our belts if we want to fight.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

bookworm wrote: My initial reaction was that the statement was poorly founded. At first it seems like a quick jab at pro-lifers to mind their own business, but upon further thought it doesn’t hold up. This isn’t just a practice that you can tell people who don’t agree with it to not do it and stop complaining about people who chose to. To pro-life people abortion is murder, so it’s a totally different category. It would be like saying ‘If you think murder is wrong then don’t kill people, but stop telling others they can’t do it.’ It doesn’t make any sense. I thought the people who put that sticker up must not have thought through what it was actually saying.
I read into that differently actually, a lot of people, Christians included, are very anti-abortion. They'll be very vocal and walk around making their view very well known. But then they'll get pregnant, have genetics done on the baby, realize the child might have Down Syndrome/Trisonomy 18/some disorder that will make their lives hard, and they'll have an abortion. It happens too many times, and it's really sad.

Someone wrote an editorial in our newspaper, he was very anti-abortion, he quoted numerous bible verses in the letter, (I'm actually surprised our paper printed it, considering how liberal they are, and how much scripture was included) but at the end he said something to the effect of "now if the child had Down Syndrome, or something like that, then this would be perfectly acceptable, but if it's a "normal" child, then this is such a crime.. etc.."
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Lucy Pevensie. wrote:..."now if the child had Down Syndrome, or something like that, then this would be perfectly acceptable, but if it's a "normal" child, then this is such a crime.. etc.."
It may just be me, but this kind of sounds like Adolf Hitler's reasoning for the Holocaust...
They/Them
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

The Once-ler wrote:
Lucy Pevensie. wrote:..."now if the child had Down Syndrome, or something like that, then this would be perfectly acceptable, but if it's a "normal" child, then this is such a crime.. etc.."
It may just be me, but this kind of sounds like Adolf Hitler's reasoning for the Holocaust...
Yeah... That's kind of what I thought, but the sad truth is, it's happening all over.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

And the government made sex selection abortion legal... >_>
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Termite wrote:And the government made sex selection abortion legal... >_>
Why not?
If abortion (because you don't want the baby, or can't handle it financially (sp)) is legal, why shouldn't sex-selection abortion be legal?
The reasoning behind the person's decision doesn't change the fact that it's wrong murder.

(FYI, I'm not condoning the practice of sex-selection abortion (or any abortion at all, for that matter), I'm simply pointing out that it's no different than killing the baby for financial reasons, etc.)
They/Them
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

This is a huge issue for me too, because I think it is awful how we discriminate against the mentally handicapped in our society. Overwhelmingly, Doctors recommend abortion for children with severe chromosomal and mental defects. A staggering percentage of babies with Down's syndrome are aborted specifically because they have the condition.

What does this say? It says that we as a society, by supporting and promulgating this practice, have concluded that people with mental handicaps have less quality of life than "normal" people and that it is better for these people not to be born. Not only is this view both heartbreaking and flawed, it is also deeply dangerous for all of us, because we have allowed our lawmakers, doctors and politicians to define what is a "normal" life and thereby make a value judgment as to who will have enough quality of life to warrant being born and who will not. When we allow our doctors and lawmakers to draw this line, we subscribe to a horrible form of discrimination that targets the most vulnerable people in our society. By advocating abortion for mentally handicapped children we send the message to ALL mentally handicapped people that our society views them as a burden, a waste of resources and we would prefer if they had never been born. If this isn't discrimination in it's most pure form, I don't know what is.
Last edited by Sherlock on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

bookworm wrote:I was behind a vehicle this morning that had a bumper sticker which read “Against abortion? Don’t have one.”
Well, by that logic: "Against slavery? Don't own a slave."
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Sherlock wrote:
This is a huge issue for me too, because I think it is awful how we discriminate against the mentally handicapped in our society. Overwhelmingly, Doctors recommend abortion for children with severe chromosomal and mental defects. A staggering percentage of babies with Down's syndrome are aborted specifically because they have the condition.

What does this say? It says that we as a society, by supporting and promulgating this practice, have concluded that people with mental handicaps have less quality of life than "normal" people and that it is better for these people not to be born. Not only is this view both heartbreaking and flawed, it is also deeply dangerous for all of us, because we have allowed our lawmakers, doctors and politicians to define what is a "normal" life and thereby make a value judgment as to who will have enough quality of life to warrant being born and who will not. When we allow our doctors and lawmakers to draw this line, we subscribe to a horrible form of discrimination that targets the most vulnerable people in our society. By advocating abortion for mentally handicapped children we send the message to ALL mentally handicapped people that our society views them as a burden, a waste of resources and we would prefer if they had never been born. If this isn't discrimination in it's most pure form, I don't know what is.
Yes, and the OBGYN association said something to the effect of: The abortion rate for Down Syndrome is at 95% We need to raise that number to 99%. Very sad.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Graces4you wrote:Image
This sort of goes with what bookworm was saying about aborted children that might have discovered a cure for a disease. I've seen a lot of those bumper stickers before, I'll try to to think of a few others that I've seen.
I really like this one...

I mean, take Steven Hawking, for example...

He's completely paralyzed, so we should put him out of his misery... Right?

Just think about it.
They/Them
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
The Once-ler wrote:
Yeah... That's kind of what I thought, but the sad truth is, it's happening all over.
...yeah, no. I know you believe abortion is a terrible thing, and I agree that aborting a child just because they have Down Syndrome is tragic and stupid, but this is NOT the Holocaust. Don't Godwin your argument.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*