Do Sinners Really Go to Hell? (Split-- Theist Q&A)

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
ric
Isaiah 6

Do Sinners Really Go to Hell? (Split-- Theist Q&A)

Post by ric »

Christian A. wrote:
Maximus Meridius wrote:
Kait wrote:If we've lived our lives in such a way that our "bad inclination" side is the weightier, then I don't think we'll have much of a shot at that. We might be separated from him for an eternity.

That being said, I don't believe in Hell.
Hmmmm... considering separation from God for an eternity is the definition of hell, there's a bit of a contradiction there.
I think Kait was referring more to the eternal torment and punishment that is usually associated with the Christian view of hell. Yes, it's separation from God, but it's also misery and eternal isolation and...torture.
It's usually (and, in my opinion, falsely) believed that there's eternal fire and torture and all that. But I believe these are mere metaphors for the pain and torment brought about by separation from God alone. I don't believe God would make a big dungeon and send demons down there to torture people. I believe Hell is complete and total separation from God, something that would bring about unimaginable pain.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Maximus Meridius wrote:
Christian A. wrote:
Maximus Meridius wrote:
Kait wrote:If we've lived our lives in such a way that our "bad inclination" side is the weightier, then I don't think we'll have much of a shot at that. We might be separated from him for an eternity.

That being said, I don't believe in Hell.
Hmmmm... considering separation from God for an eternity is the definition of hell, there's a bit of a contradiction there.
I think Kait was referring more to the eternal torment and punishment that is usually associated with the Christian view of hell. Yes, it's separation from God, but it's also misery and eternal isolation and...torture.
It's usually (and, in my opinion, falsely) believed that there's eternal fire and torture and all that. But I believe these are mere metaphors for the pain and torment brought about by separation from God alone. I don't believe God would make a big dungeon and send demons down there to torture people. I believe Hell is complete and total separation from God, something that would bring about unimaginable pain.
Well I don't believe demons do the torturing. I think God pours out His wrath on unbelievers for their sin.

And if Hell was just separation from God, wouldn't it be pretty attractive to atheists and other God-haters? I mean, all their lives they're trying to separate God from themselves, so wouldn't they want to spend an eternity away from Him?

But I guess I'm getting off topic. So I'll stop. ;)
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I agree with Maximus' view. The punishment from being away from God for all eternity would be sufficient. I highly disagree with the idea that God is torturing people in Hell - I have never heard this view before, but I think it contradicts what we know about the nature of God. While there may be justice in providing consequences for sin here on earth, I see no justice in God torturing a soul for all eternity.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Christian A. wrote:And if Hell was just separation from God, wouldn't it be pretty attractive to atheists and other God-haters? I mean, all their lives they're trying to separate God from themselves, so wouldn't they want to spend an eternity away from Him?
No, because here on Earth they want to be apart because they just don’t believe. After death they’ll realize the truth, and they’ll know that they were wrong, but are now stuck with that choice.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This is a topic I'm currently struggling with; my church believes that dying without salvation results in a literal, burning, excruciating fire for all eternity. While this almost sounds reasonable for Hitler or serial murders and rapists, my heart breaks for the billions in distant lands that will die without hearing the full Gospel. I personally think God, in one way or another, gives every person a chance to be saved, I do wonder if God will really force the thievin' native boy from Uganda to suffer for eons of years.

I do believe in a literal Hell, but perhaps there's more to it than most Christians believe. We believe that God gave us free will because he wants willing worshipers (not slaves), but then we believe God will force "every knee to bow" before He sends them off to Hell? Perhaps God will plead with the unsaved after death?

I don't know. God is good, and I will trust that He knows best. Come what may.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:my heart breaks for the billions in distant lands that will die without hearing the full Gospel.
If they haven’t heard it they can’t be faulted for not accepting it. Hell is for those who reject God, not those who are ignorant of Him.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:
American Eagle wrote:my heart breaks for the billions in distant lands that will die without hearing the full Gospel.
If they haven’t heard it they can’t be faulted for not accepting it. Hell is for those who reject God, not those who are ignorant of Him.
Using that train of thought, where do all the ignorant ones go?

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

You could always just embrace universalism, AE. Heart-break cured. ;)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:Using that train of thought, where do all the ignorant ones go?
Ignorance on Earth does not mean ignorance forever, everyone has to chose God or not chose Him sometime. Most people hear about and chose to accept God or not during their life, so when they die their choice has been made. If someone didn’t know God during their life, when they die God would reveal what they weren’t able to hear, and they would make their choice then.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Let's do it together, Jelly. \:D/

Your logic is sound, bookworm. That is the first time I've ever heard such a theory.

snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm just saying IF there was a 'Hell' (or separation for God thing that you talk about), would I go to Hell (or be separated from God) for believing the way I do?
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

bookworm wrote:
American Eagle wrote:Using that train of thought, where do all the ignorant ones go?
Ignorance on Earth does not mean ignorance forever, everyone has to chose God or not chose Him sometime. Most people hear about and chose to accept God or not during their life, so when they die their choice has been made. If someone didn’t know God during their life, when they die God would reveal what they weren’t able to hear, and they would make their choice then.
People don't go to Hell because they reject God. They go to Hell because they sin. Everyone sins, and thus everyone deserves Hell. No one deserves to hear the gospel and be saved, which is why God is so merciful and gracious in providing it for us. But He is not obligated to be so merciful and gracious to everyone. Thus, there will be people who go to Hell without ever hearing the Gospel. Romans 1:20 tells us that they are without excuse.

This passage from Luke would strongly imply that some will be punished in hell, even though they didn't know that God offered salvation--only they will be punished less severely:

But yes, I agree with Kait. We should move this over to CCDS. Who would like to do the honors? :-
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

So what Biblical evidence do y'all have that everyone must hear the gospel if God is going to justly send them to hell?
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

The Joker wrote:This is a topic I'm currently struggling with; my church believes that dying without salvation results in a literal, burning, excruciating fire for all eternity. While this almost sounds reasonable for Hitler or serial murders and rapists, my heart breaks for the billions in distant lands that will die without hearing the full Gospel. I personally think God, in one way or another, gives every person a chance to be saved, I do wonder if God will really force the thievin' native boy from Uganda to suffer for eons of years.

I do believe in a literal Hell, but perhaps there's more to it than most Christians believe. We believe that God gave us free will because he wants willing worshipers (not slaves), but then we believe God will force "every knee to bow" before He sends them off to Hell? Perhaps God will plead with the unsaved after death?

I've come to believe it this way:

If someone is truely and humbly searching for God (even if they don't know who God is, or haven't been "introduced" to Him), I believe God will save that soul.

I don't mean to blaspheme by saying what God does or doesn't do, I just think it doesn't seem very just to punish someone for not being "introduced" to Him.

I hope I'm not being too confusing here...
Am I making any sense at all?
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

My firm opinion is that I don't know. All I do know is that our holy God loves sinners and he will judge them when the time comes. I do lean towards the belief that he will be merciful to those who were never given the chance to hear about him, but honestly I have enough work trying to follow Jesus without trying to figure out how God will deal with cases like these when what I believe won't really change anything any way. Those are just my few thoughts.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

What if God sends everyone who didn't accept him to Hell and there, it's Satan who tortures them and dies what he wants?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

John Smith wrote:My firm opinion is that I don't know.
This is the only quote from this discussion that I would firmly agree with. ;) As interesting as the topic may seem, I hope everyone can realize that we're basically like a group of inexplicably incoherent bacteria trying to comprehend the vast complexity of the galaxy. It's okay to hypothesize about the unknown, but remember that you're operating with a mindset literally incapable of comprehending the idea of an afterlife to begin with.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

The Once-ler wrote:
The Joker wrote:This is a topic I'm currently struggling with; my church believes that dying without salvation results in a literal, burning, excruciating fire for all eternity. While this almost sounds reasonable for Hitler or serial murders and rapists, my heart breaks for the billions in distant lands that will die without hearing the full Gospel. I personally think God, in one way or another, gives every person a chance to be saved, I do wonder if God will really force the thievin' native boy from Uganda to suffer for eons of years.

I've come to believe it this way:

If someone is truely and humbly searching for God (even if they don't know who God is, or haven't been "introduced" to Him), I believe God will save that soul.
The only problem there is that Psalm 14 and Romans 3 tell us that no one seeks God by nature. Jesus said that a person can only seek the Father if He draws that person to Himself. So yes, everyone who is seeking God will find Him, but no one will seek God without God prodding him to do so.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I'd just like to add this in as a thought: In Revelation, John writes that hell will be emptied, then those that were in it will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:13). Therefore, according to that verse, I would assume that hell is not a lake of fire at all, but something else.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.