Theistic Existentialism - Q & A

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Theistic Existentialism - Q & A

Post by jelly »

Or, the topic in which I attempt to answer questions regarding a complex philosophy in order to further understand myself by articulating my thoughts on 'proper' Christianity. ;) Your assistance in contributing to this topic will not go unappreciated.

This is not necessarily the modern definition of existentialism, which has come to be known as the 'philosophy of depression', but it is a faith-based journey on a continual search for meaning and truth within the context of understanding God as the highest accomplishment of human existence. It is a philosophy that understands religion as a personal means of existence, not a communal one. therefore, it is individual experience that is the deciding factor of truth, not an objective set of doctrines (see also: post-modernity).

That being said, I believe in the Holy Trinity as a standard for relationship with God (until led to a different understanding), and I accept the Bible as God's form of Special Revelation to mankind.

I won't claim to actually know what I'm talking about most of the time, but essentially I strive to understand God through an existential lens, which can fall dangerously close to nihilistic crisis.. but call it my 'experimental stage'. ;)

And yes, Kierkegaard is my hero. I'll most likely be referring to him as much as possible.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Okay...so. This is what I'm getting from what you are saying.

Instead of saying "This is what I believe and it's the ULTIMATE TRUTH. JOIN OR DIE" like most Christians, you instead are kind of in a constant mode of seeking what the ultimate truth is and as you CURRENTLY understand it, involves the Trinity and the Bible as God revealed to us. But that could be subject to change. And this doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, right? Since it's based on individual experience.

Right?

And the "existential lens" you strive to understand God through is kind of a personal experience type thing? Like...my lens could be a bit different than your lens? Or is there an objective standard to how we are to view and seek out God?

That is what I'm getting. Please correct me if I'm wrong or expound where needed.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Kait wrote:Right?
Right. ;)

"life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."

There is simply no definitive standard for absolute truth. The only way to reconcile this psychologically is to define truth for yourself, based on personal experience from seeking God with purely honest intentions. Personally, my spirit is greatly influenced and shaped by the subjective power of art (particularly film), so as an artist, really the only way I'm capable of understanding God is through 'feeling' Him ('feeling' totally isn't the right word, but I lacked a better one).. a.k.a., personal experience.

"if I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe."

(all quotes are Kierkegaard)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Isn't the claim that truth is not objective but based upon individual experiences an objective truth in of itself?

And how far would you take the idea of subjective truth? To be rather extreme would you ever accept that my individual experience have decided that for me truth is to be found in human sacrifices?

By accepting the standard of the Trinity and the Bible aren't you participating in a communal religion?

Why choose the individual existence versus the communal one?