Participation in Non-Christian Religious Ceremonies

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Participation in Non-Christian Religious Ceremonies

Post by Sherlock »

I thought this would be a good topic in light of the recent Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin. Several Sikh communities (including my local one) are holding community vigil services to remember the victims, in which members from other faiths are encouraged to attend. But, on a more general note, there are often situations in which Christians may have the opportunity to attend non-Christian places of worship and observe other religions in practice.

So I thought I would ask all of you: Is it ever good/permissible for Christians to attend non-Christian religious ceremonies? Why or why not?
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

I live near the Sikh temple where the shooting took place and my prayers and sympathy go out to the families who were affected by this. I don't see a problem with attending a vigil. All you would be doing is gathering together and paying your respects to victims of a terrible evil. Would a vigil be considered a religious service? If they say a prayer, just say a one to yourself.
This is my humble blog: http://aiothoughts.blogspot.com/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Of course a memorial vigil would be fine for anyone to attend.
As for an actual religious service, if you’re going to observe, as you put it, then I don’t see why it would be wrong.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

To clarify, yes, I believe there are some religious ceremonies involved to some degree as well as just memorial activities and food.

To give another example, I once went to a Bengali Puja, which is a sort of festival (food, dancing, etc) but it also has religious components, so people pray/do religious rituals, etc.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Again, if you’re observing I don’t know where there would be an issue. If you were participating, it probably depends on the religion.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Sherlock wrote:I thought this would be a good topic in light of the recent Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin. Several Sikh communities (including my local one) are holding community vigil services to remember the victims, in which members from other faiths are encouraged to attend. But, on a more general note, there are often situations in which Christians may have the opportunity to attend non-Christian places of worship and observe other religions in practice.

So I thought I would ask all of you: Is it ever good/permissible for Christians to attend non-Christian religious ceremonies? Why or why not?
I think, as long as you know what you belive, and you don't let them convince you otherwise, I don't see much wrong with it...

I went to a funeral of a close family friend, at a Church of Modern Day Saints (Mormon), and it was certainly very different from what I believe...

I see nothing wrong with attending these sort of "events" for other religions, as long as they aren't doing something that goes directly against your beliefs (such as praying to another/other god(s), etc.).
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Well, in the case of Hinduism (Sikhism is a variant) there are typically dozens of gods they pray to. ;)
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

Sherlock wrote:Well, in the case of Hinduism (Sikhism is a variant) there are typically dozens of gods they pray to. ;)
Actually, Sikhism is a monotheistic religion. Sikhism shares a few similarities to Hinduism but it didn't branch from the religion. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
This is my humble blog: http://aiothoughts.blogspot.com/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I think attending services of religions other than your own would be very educational! It's often an assignment for Religious Studies classes in higher education. I think participating to the level of acceptability of the visitor and the host is important. Like most Christian churches wouldn't expect a visitor to take communion (if it is a choice or even maybe frowned upon varies by church), if you were visiting a service of a different religion there may be portions of the ceremony in which you do not participate. Similarly, if there's something you don't feel comfortable with, abstaining politely and respectfully is usually accepted.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Vic, I didn't try to claim they were doctrinally similar, so no worries. We can say the two religions are related by virtue of the fact that they originated in the same area and that the majority of Sikhs and Hindus reside in the same geographical region. ;)

Darcie, good point. I know some people do oppose taking part in non-Christian religious ceremonies so I was curious to see whether or not anyone held that view. For example, growing up, we were taught that participation in other denominational religious services should only be done advisedly, so I know that perspective exists. Back in the good old days, the term "scandal" was used, i.e. someone could see you at the religious ceremony and mistakenly think that you agreed with the tenants of that particular religion. ;)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well, free food is always a plus when attending non-christian religious ceremonies. If that isn't part of it, I don't really feel like sitting through something I could "observe" on youtube.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

I do attend and participate in religious services and ceremonies whenever I can simply because I love studying religion. It's a fun hobby for me. The Catholic Easter services are a favorite of mine.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

If you like the Catholic Easter services you should check out the Eastern Orthodox Pascha Services at some point, very interesting and very different.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I think it is incredibly important to attend the services of religions you are not familiar with. I am a big proponent of interfaith relationships and this is a great place to start building those bridges between faiths. I have participated in many Jewish ceremonies and holidays, an Episcopalian Christmas Eve service as well as a Muslim prayer time. I really want to check out Hindu and Buddhist services as well.

I feel like Christians are so apt to live in their little bubble and not allow anything they disagree with into it for fear of "The Devil leading them astray" or some such nonsense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with attending, appreciating and participating in holidays, services and ceremonies of faiths you are not necessarily in agreement with. I think it goes a long way to humanize those of different religions and to help you (general you not specific you) see that they are real people, with real faith, and real passion. It is one thing to read about Judaism and their services, it is another thing to experience, first hand, just how much faith they have and how much passion and feeling they put into their liturgical prayers. It is amazing.

Also, when attending the services of another faith community, please DO NOT try to convert anyone. I've had Christian friends go to a Jewish Synagogue with the express purpose of trying to convert people. They were promptly shown to the door and then complained loudly about it later, stating how they weren't welcomed and Judaism is bigoted and blah blah. I see it kind of like going to someone else's house...you are in their territory, you play by their rules, you eat their food. You don't come in bringing your own dinner and trying to force everyone else to eat it. Get what I mean? It makes you look really bad all around. Talk with people, ask questions, but do not try to convert.

I'm not saying anyone here would do that...but I know a lot of people who have. It isn't pretty.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
church
Pilgrim

Post by church »

Attending a religious event no, there is nothing wrong with that. Performing a religious act, yes there is something wrong with that. There are plenty of places in the Bible where God was angry with people and punished them for performing religious rituals of other religions. But I think it's a great thing to learn about other religions, and I have fun attending churches of different denominations and religions. I've been trying to find a Jewish service to attend actually. I want to learn more about the Jewish roots of Christianity.

Plus there's the whole, "know your enemy" thing. *evil smile*
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I have this crazy need to visit the Jewish Temple down the road from us... and I've also always wanted to visit the Mormon Church. I just find other beliefs very interesting. I haven't yet simply for the reason that I'm nervous I'll do something inappropriate on accident without knowing. And I'm always horribly nervous about such things.

I always think of the people behind me at church who just sit and chit-chat during the service and hope I don't do something as disrespectful as that (but of course I wouldn't talk... but do something else stupid).

We were actually supposed to convert to Mormonism a few years ago when Mormons helped us move but we haven't yet. :(
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.