Are You a Christian Hipster?

Quiz

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Liz_Horton wrote:I'm not into labels and such.
Your hipsterness is showing. :-
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

Amethystic wrote:
Let me clarify, I am not into the so called labels or denominations within the church. Out-side of the religious world I would be labeled an academic/musician. I participate in both the scholarly subculture and alternative/ indie rock subculture found in American civilization today. However, within the realms of religion, it is of my opinion that labels showcase pride and arrogance because each denomination (label, if you will) is a group of people saying "we are right, y'all are wrong. We get to go to Heaven, and because y'all believe a little bit differently, y'all are going to hell."
This opinion is due to the fact that I come from a conservative CofC. I could be completely wrong, but as a student who has attended most mainstream denominations more than once and studied the difences between them in depth, I think my conclusion is valid.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Liz_Horton wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
Let me clarify, I am not into the so called labels or denominations within the church. Out-side of the religious world I would be labeled an academic/musician. I participate in both the scholarly subculture and alternative/ indie rock subculture found in American civilization today. However, within the realms of religion, it is of my opinion that labels showcase pride and arrogance because each denomination (label, if you will) is a group of people saying "we are right, y'all are wrong. We get to go to Heaven, and because y'all believe a little bit differently, y'all are going to hell."
This opinion is due to the fact that I come from a conservative CofC. I could be completely wrong, but as a student who has attended most mainstream denominations more than once and studied the difences between them in depth, I think my conclusion is valid.
Hey, Church of Christ! \:D/ I went to one of those for a while. And I'm not even saying I disagree, but you're hipsterness is still totally showing. :-
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

What's the difference Church of Christ ad Church of God? =P
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

Amethystic wrote:
Liz_Horton wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
Hey, Church of Christ! \:D/ I went to one of those for a while. And I'm not even saying I disagree, but you're hipsterness is still totally showing. :-
I'll give you that.

Marvin: I'll give you a breakdown later today but the biggest difference between CofC and another denomination is that CofC will bluntly say that the other denominations aren't biblical and therefore those who don't believe CofC dogma will go to hell. However *big emohasis* not all CofC member even know this about their churches. It's not always pushed, but if you read their faith statements then it is implied the majority of the time. I have even been told that I'm going to hell because I attend a "liberal CofC" and have played guitar for a pentecostal praise team.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Oh, all right. I went to look up more information about it =P They're. .interesting -_-
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

CofC summer camp I attended was... cult-like, to say the least. :anxious: I was subjected to sleep deprivation and excessive mandatory campfire singalongs for an entire week. Oh, and I was totally stalked by a guy who had a crush on me. \:D/ (Did I also mention that this summer camp had a reputation of being a bit of a matchmaking week? *awkward*)

That's not to say I had anything against the church itself, but that summer camp was definitely sketchy.
Last edited by Amethystic on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.