Q&A with a God-loving tween

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Please, define what you mean by "Christians..."

You're using that term somewhat ambiguitously, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Catholics are not Christians."
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

When I say Catholics are not Christians, I mean that I categorize Catholicism as a different religion than Christianity. Yes, the believe in Christ, but they're beliefs are almost completely different than Christians.
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

That still doesn't define what you mean by Christian, there are lots of different denominations with lots of different beliefs. What do you think are the core beliefs that make someone a Christian?
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

I think a few of the core beliefs would be:

Believing in the Trinity, that Jesus is the same as God.

Believing that God sent Jesus to die on the cross.

Believing the only way to Heaven is in Faith through Christ.

John Chrysostom

It seems to me that most of us here believe those. Catholics and my own faith tradition, Orthodoxy, would simply say that works are the fruit of our faith. What do you think James meant when he said "Faith without works is dead"?
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

I think James meant that you must do good deeds, but not expect those deeds to get you to heaven.

John Chrysostom

You must do good deeds or what?
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Would you say that believing in the Lutheran doctrine of sola fide (justification by faith) is necessary requirement for being a real Christian? What about the Christians who lived before the 1500s? Is there room for any other interpretation in Christianity?
Matthew 12:36-37: "I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter; For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

Matthew 16:27: "For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done."
Finally, regarding Catholics, you stated: " Yes, the believe in Christ, but they're beliefs are almost completely different than Christians." Other than sola fide (which some Protestants reject), can you give some more examples of what beliefs are completely different? Everything you mentioned in your list are things that Catholics believe.
Believing in the Trinity, that Jesus is the same as God.

Believing that God sent Jesus to die on the cross.

Believing the only way to Heaven is in Faith through Christ.
Last edited by Sherlock on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

do you guys really not know this stuff, or are ya trying to give the kid a hard time? lol
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

This topic makes me realize how much I don't know. How do you go about making these decisions about what you believe or don't believe? I'm constantly being swayed one way or another depending on what account I'm reading.

Wooton, I'm impressed with your ability to answer these questions. I'd have cracked under the pressure a few pages ago.
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

Smaug the Dragon wrote: Wooton, I'm impressed with your ability to answer these questions. I'd have cracked under the pressure a few pages ago.
Same here.