Q&A with a God-loving tween

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Do you believe that Christians should look back to documents and writings from the Early Church, such as the Nicene Creed, for guidance? On a related note, do you believe in Sola Scriptura?

Earlier you said "I look at the Word of God as an instruction manual on how to get saved from eternity in hell." Do you believe that is the primary purpose of the Bible and our life as Christians?

Also would you say that after the Apostles miracles are no longer preformed here on earth by Christians?
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

Scripture Alone. I encourage people to read such documents as the Nicene Creed, but not for guidance.

No I do not. Our primary purpose is to glorify God.

No. I don't believe apostles can perform miracles in modern day. Only God can.
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Here's a hot topic that's been going around lately... :mrgreen:

Should Genesis (especially the Creation account, the Fall, the Flood, etc.) be taken literally, or as a hypothetical, figurative, alagorical, or metaphorical writing?
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

~JCGJ~ wrote:Here's a hot topic that's been going around lately... :mrgreen:

Should Genesis (especially the Creation account, the Fall, the Flood, etc.) be taken literally, or as a hypothetical, figurative, alagorical, or metaphorical writing?

I believe it should be taken literally.

~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Is there any validity to the Evolutionary Theory (Macro vs. Micro, etc.)?

P.S. It's cool that you believe in a literal Genesis. I, too, believe it should be taken literally... But just so you know, I believe we're a minority here... ;)
They/Them
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

~JCGJ~ wrote:Is there any validity to the Evolutionary Theory (Macro vs. Micro, etc.)?
Well, I don't believe in Evolution at all. Macro, or micro.

~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Do you know the differences between the Macro and Micro Evolutionunary ideas?
They/Them
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

No. I don't usually read articles or books about Evolution.

~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Ah. I see.

Well (from one Creationist to another), I must respectfully say that, if you want to defend a Creationist world view, it's wise to know the other side of the story.

If you ever find yourself in any sort of debate (formal or informal) about Creation, etc., you're likely to get into trouble if you don't know what the other side claims.

Now, I'm not saying that you need to believe in Micro Evolution, or anything like that, but I'd like to encourage you to do some research before you say you don't believe in something.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. I have found that you can look somewhat foolish if you say "I don't believe in Evolution at all," and then you can't even say what Evolutionists are claiming.

So (and please don't think I'm judging you, because I'm not. I can just see that you're a fairly bright person, and I think you should think for yourself), let me ask you a question:

When I say, "Do you believe in Evolution?" and you answer, "No, I don't," can you define what Evolution is, and many of the basic principles of the Theory, or are you simply saying that because Ken Ham (or anyone else, for that matter) tells you to?

Now, I hope I haven't caused any hard feelings or anything, but it's probably better to hear this from me now, than from others (such as Quad J) later (who may not be nearly as understanding).

Edit:
"I think you should think for yourself."
I just realized how much of an oxymoron this statement was...
They/Them
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

~JCGJ~ wrote:Ah. I see.

Well (from one Creationist to another), I must respectfully say that, if you want to defend a Creationist world view, it's wise to know the other side of the story.

If you ever find yourself in any sort of debate (formal or informal) about Creation, etc., you're likely to get into trouble if you don't know what the other side claims.

Now, I'm not saying that you need to believe in Micro Evolution, or anything like that, but I'd like to encourage you to do some research before you say you don't believe in something.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. I have found that you can look somewhat foolish if you say "I don't believe in Evolution at all," and then you can't even say what Evolutionists are claiming.

So (and please don't think I'm judging you, because I'm not. I can just see that you're a fairly bright person, and I think you should think for yourself), let me ask you a question:

When I say, "Do you believe in Evolution?" and you answer, "No, I don't," can you define what Evolution is, and many of the basic principles of the Theory, or are you simply saying that because Ken Ham (or anyone else, for that matter) tells you to?

Now, I hope I haven't caused any hard feelings or anything, but it's probably better to hear this from me now, than from others (such as Quad J) later (who may not be nearly as understanding).

Edit:
"I think you should think for yourself."
I just realized how much of an oxymoron this statement was...

No hard feelings at all. And I will look more into Evolution. But I'm saying "no I don't believe in Evolution" because it goes against the Bible. Evolution says that humans evolved from monkeys. But in the Bible, God created humans.

John Chrysostom

Why do you not normally read books or articles about evolution? And does that policy extend to all views you don't agree with?

What do you think about climate change?

Do you think drinking alcohol in moderation is allowed?
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

As I said before, they go against the Bible. And yes, that policy does go for all f the other views I don't agree with.

What exactly do you mean by the climate change?

Yes, I believe drinking alcohol in moderation is allowed. It would be better if people didn't drink it at all, though.

Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Do you believe in killing for self-defense?
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
John Chrysostom

Would that policy extend to literature? Such as the Harry Potter series? Or to philosophy such as Plato and Aristotle?

By climate change I mean that weather is becoming more extreme, the overall average temperature is rising etc.

Why would it be better if people didn't drink at all?
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Ayn Rand wrote: By climate change I mean that weather is becoming more extreme, the overall average temperature is rising etc.
I believe he's asking if you think it's because of "Global Warming," due to increased industrial activity etc., or another reason (please correct me if i'm wrong, Ayn).
They/Them
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

No. Not for self-defence. If I were defending others for example my family or my country like in the episode Sgt. York I would kill.

@Ayn Rand

Yes it would. I've read the Harry Potter series and the books are very well written, but it includes murder and magic, etc.

Well, I believe God is making the weather warmer and it has nothing to do with Evolution.

Because drinking is bad for your health. And if you get drunk you could do crazy things or get in an accident like a car crash.

John Chrysostom

JCGJ is correct I was asking if the cause is increased industrial activity. You believe however that God is increasing the temperature? Do you think there's a reason for that? Also is God increasing the severity of weather and natural disasters?
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

yes, everything is under the control of God. I have no idea why he would do all this, but God will choose to reveal the reason to us sometime.

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Well theoretically... He doesn't have to know about evolution to not believe in it. If he totally believes something (I don't know if you believe in the Bible totally, i'm just using it as an example), why would he need to believe anything else? If one of the main tenants of evolution is different from creationism, and if creationism says there's no other correct way, one would assume evolution is wrong because it does not coincide with creationism. Point being, you don't have to know everything about something to not believe in it.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Whitty Whit wrote:Well theoretically... He doesn't have to know about evolution to not believe in it. If he totally believes something (I don't know if you believe in the Bible totally, i'm just using it as an example), why would he need to believe anything else? If one of the main tenants of evolution is different from creationism, and if creationism says there's no other correct way, one would assume evolution is wrong because it does not coincide with creationism. Point being, you don't have to know everything about something to not believe in it.
Wow. That's a good point