least favorite verses

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

least favorite verses

Post by bookworm »

People often talk about their favorite Bible passages, but I don’t believe I’ve ever heard anyone mention their least favorite. So I want to start that discussion.
I don’t mean this to be sacrilegious at all, as a Christian I embrace the Bible in its entirety. But that doesn’t mean there can’t be parts that just don’t sit right with me, be it because of the particular style or wording, or whatever.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Heh. You don't want me answering this one, I promise you.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The first passage that comes to mind for me is the famous seasons of life in Ecclesiastes.

It drags on way too long for me. After four or five lines I can’t help going “I get it already! There’s a time to do something, and then to do the opposite thing!”
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

I find that passage beautifully poetic actually. It really embodies humanity and human nature quite well.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:I find that passage beautifully poetic actually.
I’m sure it is, but I detest poetry. I’m an analytical thinker. I don’t need something hammered and hammered to figure it out, and as such am unable to appreciate when it’s done for artistic affect because I get caught up on the literal presentation of it. My mind takes in three ‘Time for X, time for -X’ in a row and then locks up because it gets the point. I can input my own Xs I don’t need them spelled out.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

I'm an analytical thinker and take things rather literally as well. As almost anyone can tell you. >_> Jerryfish, I'm looking at you. I used to hate poetry as well, I really had to force myself to read it and I quite enjoy it now. Albeit it's not the first thing I'd read. And I definitely couldn't write it.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

All of Numbers. Practically.

Jehoshephat was the son of Nizzihumar. Alboteriya was the son of Wendishabner.

...I give up after like, one verse.

Judges is pretty boring as well... kind of depressing how stupid Israel's cycle of sin, captivity, and then turn-around was... considering it repeated. And repeated. And repeated.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Such is the nature of history, it repeats itself.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I don't really like the genealogies very much, it seems like they go on and on and I find it hard to read them after about 2 verses
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Err....
"Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us . He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." (Psalm 137)

"And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)

"Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go." (Judges 19:24-25)

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

"If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silvers, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days." (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

"The whoredom of a woman may be known in her haughty looks and eyelids. If thy daughter be shameless, keep her in straitly, lest she abuse herself through overmuch liberty." (Eccles. 26:9-10)

"For from garments cometh a moth, and from women wickedness. Better is the churlishness of a man than a courteous woman, a woman, I say, which bringeth shame and reproach." (Eccles. 42:13-14)

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel." (1 Peter 2:18)
The wiminfolk in the Old Testament had it pretty rough. ;)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Anything that goes, "And X begat X. ."

Yeah.

Oh, and Numbers and Leviticus. Too many rules :noway:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Agree with most of the stuff on here (aside from Ecclesiastes)...hate the lists of OT rules in Leviticus, and the endless genealogies of Numbers. I do like Judges though, despite being filled with history repeating itself...still interesting history to me! And I'm with Sherlock on the verses on women...some of the old testament ones because of how tragic and sad they are (women being abused and sold and killed) and the other verses that are always taken out of context in modern day by men who don't believe women should be allowed to think and that they exist for the sole purpose of pleasing men.

I also dislike many verses in the Song of Solomon...a bit too "R" rated for my taste ;-) He should keep his thoughts to himself.

And as much as people think Paul is a great guy, I'm not a fan of his letters...not sure why, maybe just his style of writing or how he comes across as arrogant (despite making humble statements...that still sound arrogant, lol)...
Last edited by SoccerLOTR on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

What!? I am livid! how dare you suggest that there is a least favorite verse? But while were on the subject, I'm just gonna go with the whole book of liviticus.
Last edited by godisawesomeness99 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
Tikvah
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Tikvah »

I like the genealogies :anxious: They have lots of interesting names.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Tikvah wrote:I like the genealogies :anxious: They have lots of interesting names.
Yeah! Like "Nimrod" and "Gomer"!

Hmm, I know this is going to sound weird but I don't think I really wanted to read four Gospel books... maybe just 2 or at the most 3... Mark especially was my least favorite. John and Luke are my favorite Gospels.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Jerryfish, I'm looking at you
Life without poetry is depressing. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Termite wrote:All of Numbers. Practically.

Jehoshephat was the son of Nizzihumar. Alboteriya was the son of Wendishabner.

...I give up after like, one verse.

Judges is pretty boring as well... kind of depressing how stupid Israel's cycle of sin, captivity, and then turn-around was... considering it repeated. And repeated. And repeated.
I've been reading through the Old Testament starting with Joshua because I've read through the entire New Testament sans Revelation straight through twice and I needed a change of scenery. It's been interesting, but I've recently hit a real wall with First Chronicles. There are like, sixteen zillion passages of geneology, and I know it wouldn't be there without a reason, but it seriously gets on my nerves having to wade through an entire passage of overly long and complicated names. I thought I was home free after it began retelling stories from the life of David, but then it got to David reorganizing the entirety of the Levites...I could almost hear God and His angels laughing at the irony when I mentioned my happiness that the geneologies were over. T_T
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Another of my major peeves is passages that read like this:

There are quite a few others, but that one is a great example. It’s maddeningly redundant. Sometimes repetition is used for a certain effect, and I can appreciate that when it is, but that’s not the case here, this repetition is entirely unnecessary. You just said who he was reading to - I am capable of remembering that into the next sentence and realizing he is still reading to the same people! ](*,)
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Jelly wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Jerryfish, I'm looking at you
Life without poetry is depressing. :(
Life without your mom is depressing! :x
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

you seriously have this topic?! I mean some Bible verses can be kinda boring or hard to understand but it's still God's word and in the Bible I don't think it's very nice to say what your least favorite Bible verse is.....it's God's word guys!

Fixed double post -Termite
One ring to rule them all.