least favorite verses

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

Dasi wrote:you seriously have this topic?! I mean some Bible verses can be kinda boring or hard to understand but it's still God's word and in the Bible I don't think it's very nice to say what your least favorite Bible verse is.....it's God's word guys!

Fixed double post -Termite
Simply because the Bible is the inspired word of the almighty does not mean we have to enjoy or even like all scripture.

Anyway back on topic: my least favorite right now is probably John 3:16 because A) it's the one verse besides Jer 29:11 that everybody knows, I mean lets be a little more original with what we memorize. And B) within the Greek text the word for "only begotten" can also mean "unique". Seeing as we are all adopted by Papa, it irks me that so often the only begotten is stressed in English when using unique fits just as well if not better.

My other least favorite passage is the sermon on the mount, for it is a constant reminder of my humanness and how ungodly and unrighteousness I often act. (Which in its own right should make the passage my favorite).
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Dasi wrote:you seriously have this topic?! I mean some Bible verses can be kinda boring or hard to understand but it's still God's word and in the Bible I don't think it's very nice to say what your least favorite Bible verse is.....it's God's word guys!
As I carefully explained in the first post, ‘least favorite’ isn’t to say ‘I hate what this verse says’ only ‘I dislike the style in which it says it.’
Yes the Bible is God’s Word, and the meaning of verses should always be revered, but that does not prevent one from finding some of the various literary styles used uncomfortable to the ear.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Jesus' Princess wrote:I don't really like the genealogies very much, it seems like they go on and on and I find it hard to read them after about 2 verses
I am pretty sure you are not the only one guilty of doing that. (because I am). I try, I really do but end up fast reading it and move on. (Although, I do like seeing how old some of those people became).
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:I don't really like the genealogies very much, it seems like they go on and on and I find it hard to read them after about 2 verses
I am pretty sure you are not the only one guilty of doing that. (because I am). I try, I really do but end up fast reading it and move on. (Although, I do like seeing how old some of those people became).
The genealogies of Jesus are far more interesting considering he has a different lineage in Matthew than he does in Luke. \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yeah, it's funny how most people do since they have two parents. Even though He wasn't of Joseph, God included his lineage. Even though women were considered second to men, God still honored Mary and put hers in there as well. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Termite wrote:Yeah, it's funny how most people do since they have two parents. Even though He wasn't of Joseph, God included his lineage. Even though women were considered second to men, God still honored Mary and put hers in there as well. \:D/

Even though both of them explicitly state they are Joseph's lineage. :anxious:

"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Meh. I heard a short lesson on how they were different once based on word usage, but I don't remember. It's just 3am blabber over here. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Termite wrote:Meh. I heard a short lesson on how they were different once based on word usage, but I don't remember. It's just 3am blabber over here. \:D/

The best kind of blabber, really. \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'm really tired, too, but maybe one of the lineages is Joseph's and the other is God's? Technically Jesus had two fathers so it could be either one really.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Termite wrote:Meh. I heard a short lesson on how they were different once based on word usage, but I don't remember. It's just 3am blabber over here. \:D/
This article explains it fairly well. And it's nice and short, so you don't have to skim over it and say it made no sense! \:D/

Back to the topic at hand though, I don't really like 1 John 5:16-17 much. It's terribly hard to figure out what John is trying to say. Obviously, it was clear to his original audience, but these days, I can't find even two commentators who agree...

Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

bookworm wrote:
As I carefully explained in the first post, ‘least favorite’ isn’t to say ‘I hate what this verse says’ only ‘I dislike the style in which it says it.’
Yes the Bible is God’s Word, and the meaning of verses should always be revered, but that does not prevent one from finding some of the various literary styles used uncomfortable to the ear.
what do you mean by uncomfortable to the ear? do you mean you don't like what it says and you don't belive it? or do you mean you don't like the way it's worded?
One ring to rule them all.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

@Christian You know I disagree that one is Mary's and this article does nothing to convince me of this. I think changing something so important on the meaning of one word in Greek is foolish. Especially when the Early Church Fathers, many of whom were Greek, did not interpret that word to mean one genealogy was Marys. Why would they not understand the meaning in their own language?

@Dasi There are many different styles of writing in the Bible, we aren't saying which verses do you not believe in but rather what styles do you not like? Something can be true and written in a style you don't like.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

Dasi, you are my favorite poster right now. :inlove:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Dasi wrote:what do you mean by uncomfortable to the ear? do you mean you don't like what it says and you don't belive it? or do you mean you don't like the way it's worded?
As I just said, and you should be able to gather by reading my posts in this thread of examples I provided, I mean the writing style makes me cringe. It has nothing to do with the message the text contains, which I fully embrace.
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

Over the Rainbow wrote:

Dasi, you are my favorite poster right now. :inlove:
haha! whys that?

@bookworm, you're making it sound like it is a crime that i asked that....I didn't mean it in a mean way at all
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

You may not have meant it that way, but it certainly comes across that way when the first time you rebuke the thread you do so intensely and for something that it expressly explains it is not about, then the second time by asking a question that was just answered.

I don’t know how to put this any plainer. This thread is not about saying ‘I don’t like what this verse says.’ It’s only about saying ‘I don’t like the style this verse uses.’ See the two examples I posted here and here and it should be pretty clear.
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

bookworm wrote:You may not have meant it that way, but it certainly comes across that way when the first time you rebuke the thread you do so intensely and for something that it expressly explains it is not about, then the second time by asking a question that was just answered.

I don’t know how to put this any plainer. This thread is not about saying ‘I don’t like what this verse says.’ It’s only about saying ‘I don’t like the style this verse uses.’ See the two examples I posted here and here and it should be pretty clear.

I'm very sorry. I look at things and then forget what it said or have a vaugh idea of what it said......I'm sorry...
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Apology accepted. I just had to make sure the actual purpose of the thread is understood, because people mistaking it for what you did was a concern of mine when I first made it.
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

bookworm wrote:Apology accepted. I just had to make sure the actual purpose of the thread is understood, because people mistaking it for what you did was a concern of mine when I first made it.
alright thanks.