Request knowledge of the beliefs held by DanP740

~_~

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Request knowledge of the beliefs held by DanP740

Post by DanP740 »

Meh, what the heck, I could use an excuse to actually think about stuff for once. :-
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Does your church have a statement of faith that you could share?

What is your stance on the Nicene Creed?

How often does your church take communion?

What does your average Sunday service look like?

Do you have any interaction with other churches in your area?
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

What do you believe about the Trinity? Do you believe it to be an essential doctrine of the Christian faith?

What is your belief about the human will? Is God absolutely sovereign over it, or has he sovereignly chosen to make it a free will?

I think I remember you leaning toward theistic evolution in creationism debates, but could you elaborate on your views about origins?

If you could summarize the Gospel in one sentence (make it however long you want) how would you do it?

EDIT: Man, I thought I was going to beat Ayn to this one. :P
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Holy carp, nothing, nothing, then bam, 9 questions... This may take a little bit to get to all these, as I have to get off in 15 minutes, so I'll try to get through Ayn's first, and possibly a few of Christian's.
John Chrysostom wrote:Does your church have a statement of faith that you could share?
Exactly what I expected the first question to be.
THE SCRIPTURES

We believe that the 66 books of the Bible, as originally written are holy, verbally inspired by God and the product of Spirit-filled men, and therefore are truth without a mixture of error. We believe it is the complete and final revelation of the will of God to man and that it is the true center of Christian unity and the supreme standard by which all human conduct, creeds and opinions are to be tried.

II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:19, 20; Acts 1:16; Luke 24:44, 45; John 17:17; John 12:48; Romans 15:4; Psalm 19:7-11

THE TRUE GOD

We believe that there is only one true God, an infinite, intelligent Spirit, the maker and supreme ruler of heaven and earth inexpressibly glorious in holiness and worthy of all possible honor, confidence and love; that in the unit of the Godhead there are three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in every divine perfection and executing distinct but harmonious offices in the great work of redemption.

Exodus 20:2, 3; 15:11; John 4:24; Psalm 90:2; Revelation 4:11; Mark 12:29, 30; Matthew 28:19

THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

We believe in the absolute deity of the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, that He was divine as no other man can be, being God in every respect, existing from all eternity, co-equal with the Father and the Spirit; that He never ceased to be God; that He took upon Himself man's nature, with all the essential properties and common infirmities thereof and yet without sin.

John 1:1, 14, 18; 10:30; Philippians 2:6-10; Hebrews 1:8; 2:14-17; II Corinthians 13:14; I John 5:20

We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit in a miraculous manner and that He was born of a virgin and that He is both the Son of God and God the Son.

Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 1:34, 35: John 1:14; I John 5:20

We believe that Jesus Christ rose bodily the third day according to the Scriptures; that He ascended into heaven where He is seated at the right hand of the Father; that He alone is our merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God.

Matthew 28:6, 7; Luke 24:39; Acts 1:9-11; Hebrews 1:3; 8:1

THE HOLY SPIRIT

We believe that the Holy Spirit is a divine person equal with God the Father and God the Son and of the same nature; that He was active in Creation; that in His relation to the unbelieving world, He restrains the evil one until God's purpose is fulfilled; that He convicts of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment and that He bears witness to the truth. We also believe that He is the agent of the new birth, that He baptizes, indwells, seals, endues, teaches, sanctifies, helps and bestows spiritual gifts upon each believer. We believe that certain gifts, such as apostleship, speaking in tongues (unlearned languages), and the working of sign miracles were temporary, gradually ceasing as their purposes were fulfilled.

Acts 2; 5:1-3; Matthew 28:19; Genesis 1:1-3; II Thessalonians 2:7, 13; John 3:5, 6; 14:26; 15:26, 27; 16:8-13; Ephesians 1:13, 14; Luke 24:29; Romans 8:14, 16, 26, 27; I Corinthians 4:1-10; 12-14; I Peter 4; Hebrews 2:3, 4

SATAN

We believe that Satan, an angel created by God, was once holy, and enjoyed heavenly honors; but through pride and ambition to be as the Almighty, fell and drew after him a host of angels; that he is now the prince of the power of the air, and the unholy god of this world. We hold him to be man's great tempter, the enemy of God and His Christ, the accuser of the saints, the author of all false religions, the Chief power behind the present apostasy. He is destined, however, to final defeat at the hand of God's own Son and to the judgment of an eternal justice in the Lake of Fire, a place prepared for him and his angels.

Isaiah 14:12-15; Ezekiel 28:14-17; Matthew 4:1-11; II Corinthians 4:4; 11:13-15; Ephesians 2:2; Revelation 12:9, 19; 20:10

CREATION

We believe that the Genesis account of creation is the historical account of the direct, immediate creative acts of God without any evolutionary process, and that it is to be accepted literally, not allegorically or figuratively.

Genesis 1:1, 2; Colossians 1:16, 17; Acts 17:23-26

THE FALL OF MAN

We believe that man in the person of Adam was created in innocence under the law of his Maker, but by voluntary transgression fell from his sinless and happy state, in consequence of which all mankind are now sinners, not only by birth but also by choice; and therefore under just condemnation without defense or excuse.

Genesis 3:1-6; Romans 1:18-20; 3:10-19; 5:15

THE SACRIFICE FOR SIN

We believe that the salvation of sinners is wholly of grace through faith in the finished work of the Son of God who freely took upon Himself our nature, yet without sin, and by His death made a full, substitutionary, and final sacrifice for our sins. We believe that His sacrifice was the voluntary substitution of Himself in the sinner's place, the Just dying for the unjust, Christ the Lord bearing our sins in His own body on the tree.

John 3:16; Romans 3:24-26; II Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 4:4, 5; Ephesians 1:7; 2:8, 9; Philippians 2:5-8; I Peter 2:24; 3:18

JUSTIFICATION

We believe that justification is the judicial act of God whereby He declares the believer to be righteous through faith in Jesus Christ. Justification includes the pardon of sin and the imputation of God's righteousness. God bestows this righteousness on the basis of our faith, not on the basis of our works.

Romans 3:23-26; 4:1-8; 5:1-9; II Corinthians 5:20-21

FAITH & SALVATION: THE NEW BIRTH

We believe that faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the only condition of salvation and that this faith will produce evidence in the life of the convert by a supernatural rebirth.

Acts 16:31; Galatians 3:6; John 1:12, 13; 3:3, 6, 7; II Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:1; 5:9; I Peter 1:23

THE SECURITY OF THE BELIEVER

We believe that all who receive Christ as their Savior are born from above and are eternally and unconditionally secure in Christ.

John 1:12; 10:28, 29; Romans 6:23; 8:35-39; Philippians 1:6; I John 5:11-13

THE CHURCH

We believe that the Church is a New Testament institution unknown to the Old Testament prophets; established by Jesus Christ, who is its sole head; revealed through the apostles; empowered and perpetuated by the Holy Spirit; Christ's "Body" for service and His "Bride" for glory. It began with the New Testament saints at Pentecost and will be consummated at the coming of Christ at the rapture.

Ephesians 1:22, 23; 3:1-12; 5:23-32; Acts 1:8; 2:1-13, 41-47; I Corinthians 12:4-28; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; I Peter 1:10-12

We believe that the Body of Christ is manifested through the local church which is a congregation of immersed believers observing the ordinances of Christ; governed by His laws; exercising the gifts, rights and privileges invested in it by His Word; and that its scripturally designated officers are Elders (Pastors, Bishops) and Deacons, whose qualifications and duties are clearly defined in the scriptures.

I Corinthians 1:2; 7:17; Acts 2:41-47; I Timothy 3:1-5; Romans 12:4-8; Ephesians 4:11-13

WATER BAPTISM & THE LORD'S SUPPER

We believe that Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water, under the authority of the local church to show forth in a solemn and beautiful emblem our faith in the crucified, buried and risen Savior, through whom we died to sin and rose to a new life. Baptism is a command of the Scriptures and shall be a prerequisite to the privileges of membership in this church.

Luke 22:14-20; I Corinthians 11:23-28

THE RIGHTEOUS & THE WICKED

We believe that there is a radical and essential difference between the righteous and the wicked. We believe that only those who through faith are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and sanctified by the Spirit of God are truly righteous in His sight; while all that continue in impenitence and unbelief are in His sight wicked and under the curse, and this distinction holds among men both in and after death. We believe in the everlasting blessedness of the saved and the everlasting conscious suffering of the lost in the Lake of Fire.

John 3:18, 36; Romans 3:23-26; 6:23; Revelation 20:11-15

THE RETURN OF CHRIST

We believe in the imminent, personal, bodily, pre-tribulational, pre-millennial return of Christ for His Church; and at that moment, the dead in Christ shall be raised in glorified bodies. Those believers living when He returns shall be given glorified bodies without tasting death and shall be caught up to meet the Lord in the air.

I Thessalonians 4:13-18; I Corinthians 15:51-54; Revelation 20:1-6
John Chrysostom wrote:What is your stance on the Nicene Creed?
First time I've ever read this. Seems to be a good statement of Christian beliefs.
John Chrysostom wrote:How often does your church take communion?
On the first Sunday of each month. We may do an extra around Christmas or Easter, but I don't think that's happened very frequently. :-k
John Chrysostom wrote:What does your average Sunday service look like?
We start with a hymn, then a scripture reading and prayer, then announcements, offering, 4 to 5 worship songs, occasionally an extra special song, then the sermon, then a closing hymn. The time the offering is taken can vary, sometimes before the worship team, sometimes after.
John Chrysostom wrote:Do you have any interaction with other churches in your area?
For the last several years we have held a joint Thanksgiving Eve service with two similar-belief churches in the area, rotating who preachs, who provides music, and who "hosts" (we have the biggest building, so it's always in ours, but we still call the other one the host as they do the greeting and such). And last Sunday, for the fourth year, our church helped another church put on a living nativity scene in town, in the past we've also had a choir there.
Christian A. wrote:I think I remember you leaning toward theistic evolution in creationism debates, but could you elaborate on your views about origins?
Theistic Evolution, no. Old earth, yes. God created the earth who knows how long ago, scientific research says many billions of years ago. It's the only way the biological and geological history we've observed is possible. I won't say that God didn't make animals evolve, but unless people can find every single species link, I find that direct evolution is highly improbable. Also, I think your beliefs about the age of the earth don't have bearing in whether you're a good person or not, as AIG seems to think. :-
Christian A. wrote:If you could summarize the Gospel in one sentence (make it however long you want) how would you do it?
We're all sinners that deserve to die, but God sent his son Jesus to earth as a man, who was then killed, taking the punishment for our sins, and then rose from the dead, beating Satan, and then went up to Heaven, and all you have to do to be saved is believe that he is God, you're a sinner that can't pay the penalty yourself and need Jesus and that he took it for you; and it's not meant as an excuse for sinning as much as you want, you need to really try to be good.

I'll get to the other two when I have time to think more.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
John Chrysostom

Christian: Got to move pretty fast to beat me ;)

Dan: Does your church practice open or closed communion?

Do you believe that baptism is a symbol or something more? Same with communion.

Do you have any Christian writers who have influenced you?

In your statement of faith your church said "We believe that the Body of Christ is manifested through the local church which is a congregation of immersed believers." Do you think that congregationalism was the norm in the Early Church and if so at what point did Christian move from that to the Roman Catholic model?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Time for part 2! \:D/
Christian A. wrote:What do you believe about the Trinity? Do you believe it to be an essential doctrine of the Christian faith?
I would say it's pretty important.
Christian A. wrote:What is your belief about the human will? Is God absolutely sovereign over it, or has he sovereignly chosen to make it a free will?
I would say there's some plan set for us, but we have to make the right choices to be on that plan.

John Chrysostom wrote:Does your church practice open or closed communion?
I'm not exactly sure about the definitions, but at the start of communion the pastor says that you don't have to be an official member of the church, you just have to believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again and that stuff.
John Chrysostom wrote:Do you believe that baptism is a symbol or something more? Same with communion.
I see both as just symbols, not anything absolutely necessary to be saved, they're just a good example and statement (baptism) and a special time to remind us if we don't always think about it (communion).
John Chrysostom wrote:Do you have any Christian writers who have influenced you?
None that I can specifically think of.
John Chrysostom wrote:In your statement of faith your church said "We believe that the Body of Christ is manifested through the local church which is a congregation of immersed believers." Do you think that congregationalism was the norm in the Early Church and if so at what point did Christian move from that to the Roman Catholic model?
It sounds to me like they were somewhat congregational back then, but I don't really know much about early church history. :-
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
John Chrysostom

Could a Roman Catholic take communion at your church?

What about a Mormon?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I guess they could, I mean we don't run background checks on people before letting them do anything, so we can't really prohibit it in practice.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
John Chrysostom

I was more asking what would be the ideal practice.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I am just going to step in right here, a lot of people reference Roman Catholics receiving communion at other churches, most good Catholics wouldn't take communion at other churches.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I don't quite understand the question.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
John Chrysostom

Jehoshaphat: I realize that, I ask this question to see how open these churches open communion really is, I don't mean any disrespect to Roman Catholics.

Dan: What I mean is if a Roman Catholic came up to your pastor and identified himself as such and asked if he could take communion, however unlikely that may be, what would your pastor say?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Jehoshaphat wrote:I am just going to step in right here, a lot of people reference Roman Catholics receiving communion at other churches, most good Catholics wouldn't take communion at other churches.
Why is that?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

John Chrysostom wrote:What I mean is if a Roman Catholic came up to your pastor and identified himself as such and asked if he could take communion, however unlikely that may be, what would your pastor say?
I could only guess, as it's never been discussed in my hearing, but he would probably tell them no.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
John Chrysostom

And why would that be?

Are there any Creeds or Confessions that your church uses or identifies with?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I have no freaking clue. Next question?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
John Chrysostom

Infant or believer baptism?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Seeing that baptism is a declaration by a believer, it doesn't make any sense to baptize babies, who have no clue what's going on.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
Jehoshaphat wrote:I am just going to step in right here, a lot of people reference Roman Catholics receiving communion at other churches, most good Catholics wouldn't take communion at other churches.
Why is that?
Because we believe that it is actually t he body an blood of Christ most other Christians believe that it is just a symbol.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Jehoshaphat wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:
Why is that?
Because we believe that it is actually t he body an blood of Christ most other Christians believe that it is just a symbol.
Oh, okay. Thanks for answering

Dan: Do you believe that miracles still happen?