It was inevitable that I'd join the bandwagon at some point.

Ask me any questions about my personal beliefs, or other aspects of my life (theological or not).

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
It was inevitable that I'd join the bandwagon at some point.

Post by ~JCGJ~ »

See discription, then ask away! :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Do you think that humans have the right to end life? Abortion, brain death, execution, "unplugging them", and physician assisted suicidewould all be examples of that.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

First off, why am I not the first person to ask a question here? :P

What is your stance on the Nicene Creed?

Does your church have a statement of faith that you could share?

What does your average Sunday service look like?

How often does your church take communion?

Do you have any interaction with other churches in your area?
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I believe we humans should have the right to affect ourselves, only if it truely does just affect ourselves (suicide is included in that).

Now, I'm not saying that suicide is ok, but I believe that we should let people know that we don't agree, then leave them to their own choices (however painful that may be).

If a physician wants to wants to help someone kill themselves (and that person is the one who suggested it, and the physician has no influence on the choice), then I believe they should have that choice.

I am a person that believes that we can't (or at least, shouldn't) force anyone to do or believe what we want them to.

However, if they make a choice that affects other people's lives, it's now not their choice to make (ie. abortion).

If I am in a vegetative state, and the equipment can be used by someone who actually has a bit more hope of surviving, then please, unplug me to save their life.

We recently had to make this choice for my Grandfather, and it was a difficult choice, but we all knew that he wouldn't have even been put on any machines in the first place if that descision were up to him... So they turned off the machines as all his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and his wife all sang hyms of praise. To tell you the truth, it was a horrible moment for me, because I knew that we had just chosen to end my grandfather's life... But now that I look back on it, it was really a learning experience for me.

Execution.
Oh goodness...
Ok, so first, I will point out that lethal injections (which are pretty much the only "humane" form of execution nowadays) cost several thousand dollars each...

And second, if a man is truely a danger to the safety or wellbeing of others (ie. a murderer or rapist, etc.), he should be dealt with.
Should death be the way we deal with him? I don't know. Death is just one of those subjects that I really don't enjoy thinking about...

Next please?
They/Them
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I'm posting this primarily to refer you to John Chrysostom's questions, JC, but also to ask a few of my own.

Which denomination does your church affiliate with, if any?

Describe your typical worship service.

Tell me a little about your beliefs as far as the age of the earth.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

The bandwagon was awhile ago, that's probably why I waited until now to start mine.
John Chrysostom wrote:First off, why am I not the first person to ask a question here? :P
JP must be faster today.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Do you believe in the gifts of the spirit? :)
*insert provocative quote here*
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Even if you don't enjoy thinking about something, is it not wise to make up your opinion?

What is your definition of faith?

(Also, you forgot to answer John's questions.)
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Marvin D. wrote:Even if you don't enjoy thinking about something, is it not wise to make up your opinion?
Nope, not at all. It's better to say "I don't know" or "I don't have an opinion" than to make up a bunch of stuff or talk about things you don't understand. Than you're just blowing air.

I don't take a stance of abortion, for example, because I'm not a woman, I can't get pregnant, and I'm very likely not going to get someone pregnant. So I won't ever have to deal with it. So why should I have an opinion on something I have nothing to do with? It's like saying that I have an opinion on the politics of Pakistan.
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:...and I'm very likely not going to get someone pregnant.
I'm sorry, but that made me chuckle... :D

I will get to your questions as soon as I can. I'm just very busy with stuff... However, I should have more time by the end of this week, so (hopefully), I'll be able to answer your questions then.
They/Them
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

~JCGJ~ wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:...and I'm very likely not going to get someone pregnant.
That is not my shade of orange. SACRILEGE.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:
That is not my shade of orange. SACRILEGE.
Well, pardon me. Orange is not my color. :P :mrgreen:
They/Them
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Burn him at the stake!

So do you believe there is a way to prove God exists?

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

You have to come up with a definition first and than provide evidence for that definition.

You could call the universe "god," for example, and I would obviously believe in that "god" because the universe is a thing that exists. I would object to using the word "god" though because that word has such social and religious baggage to it. Use a different word. But if you say "god" as in the traditional definition of all-knowing, all-powerful being who controls everything and created everything than I can't say I've seen any evidence.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:You have to come up with a definition first and than provide evidence for that definition.

You could call the universe "god," for example, and I would obviously believe in that "god" because the universe is a thing that exists. I would object to using the word "god" though because that word has such social and religious baggage to it. Use a different word. But if you say "god" as in the traditional definition of all-knowing, all-powerful being who controls everything and created everything than I can't say I've seen any evidence.
I like how you come in and just take over, like it's your own thread... :P :mrgreen:

I should have time this weekend to answer your questions.

Thank you for your patience.
They/Them
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:You have to come up with a definition first and than provide evidence for that definition.

Thank you Jon--er, QuadJ ;)

jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

My apologies. I thought that question was for me.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:My apologies. I thought that question was for me.
Nah, that's okay \:D/ The more people that answer the better.

~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:My apologies. I thought that question was for me.
Nah, you're fine. Feel free to answer any questions in this thread. I like to hear other people's opinions about these things too.
They/Them