Please Clarify First

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Where in the world do you get that not all Catholics think Christ is God? Do you know anything about other Christians? Also what is this "some Catholics teach this" do yourself a favor and educate yourself. Do you not understand the idea behind an organized religion? The fact that there are key doctrines that they all agree upon, beliefs that defines what it means to be Catholic. None of those doctrines say that they worship Mary or cast into doubt the divinity of Christ. The Early Church, of which the Catholic church was a part, wrote the Nicean Creed that helped defeat the early heresies that denied Christ's divinity. You are showing exactly why you need to clarify first.
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

I actually didn't say that all Catholics don't know Jesus is Christ I said i didn't know what they all believe. dude! seriously! I know some Catholics do worship Mary and i know some don't ok? do you get that? that's what I believe. just like you have what you believe that's what I believe. everyone has their own opinion and if someone doesn't agree that doesn't make them an idiot because they don't believe the same way you do. and I'm saying you in general. and yes i do know things about other Christians. but what exactly do you mean by "do I know anything about other Christians?"
One ring to rule them all.
John Chrysostom

Of course we can't know what every single Catholic believes. What I'm talking about is what is the official doctrine of the Roman Catholic church? Saying that there are persons identifying as Catholic who don't believe in Jesus as God serves no purpose. Because there are people who identify as Protestant and Orthodox who don't believe in Jesus as God as well. But those people don't define or accurately represent their denomination. They are very clearly going against the official teachings of their denomination. What purpose are you trying to accomplish by bringing them up? It doesn't help you understand or talk to Catholics here who follow the official doctrine of the Catholic church.

What I meant by that was this, clearly believing that Christ is God is a core doctrine of Christianity. So why would you speculate wildly that Catholics, a Christian denomination, might not believe that core doctrine of Christianity? Either you don't know that believing Christ is God is a core doctrine of Christianity or you are hostile towards Catholics for some reason.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

There should be a rule about newbies posting topics they're not ready for. :anxious:

Dasi, you've been portraying a mostly negative attitude today, and saying a lot of things out of ignorance. Please, please please please, take a break before you're about to click 'post', and make sure you've a) read the rest of the thread in its entirety, and b) re-read your own post thoroughly to make sure you're not saying anything you'll regret. It's easy to jump on a web forum thinking you have all the right answers, and state your opinions with a confidant arrogance, but as you're quickly discovering most people here don't take kindly to that attitude.

Always be open to learn. John Chrysostom has been around quite awhile, and he has a wealth of knowledge and wisdom that you could really benefit from. Rather than becoming indignant with him, actually listen to what he has to say. :)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

@John, I already told you what I think and i'm not changing.

@Jelly, I'm not ignorant you just don't agree with me. and John needs to be open to learn too. and I'm not going to change how i think because of him. I don't care how long he has been around I still believe what I do and i'm not changing that because a bunch of creeps think I'm wrong! so don't try to change my opinion it's not changing!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Dasi wrote:@Jelly, I'm not ignorant you just don't agree with me. and John needs to be open to learn too. and I'm not going to change how i think because of him. I don't care how long he has been around I still believe what I do and i'm not changing that because a bunch of creeps think I'm wrong! so don't try to change my opinion it's not changing!
Jelly thinks that those who disagree with him are ignorant. This is a common trend. It's really quite hilarious.

Also, creeps? Hey now, that's not very nice.

Also, not being open to changing your mind is the definition of closed-mindedness. At least consider what people have to say with the attitude that you may be wrong. See things from other people's point of view. At the very least it will strengthen your own argument if you can see clearly how the other person is wrong, if they are wrong.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
Dasi wrote:@Jelly, I'm not ignorant you just don't agree with me. and John needs to be open to learn too. and I'm not going to change how i think because of him. I don't care how long he has been around I still believe what I do and i'm not changing that because a bunch of creeps think I'm wrong! so don't try to change my opinion it's not changing!
Jelly thinks that those who disagree with him are ignorant. This is a common trend. It's really quite hilarious.

Also, creeps? Hey now, that's not very nice.

Also, not being open to changing your mind is the definition of closed-mindedness. At least consider what people have to say with the attitude that you may be wrong. See things from other people's point of view. At the very least it will strengthen your own argument if you can see clearly how the other person is wrong, if they are wrong.
haha, JJJJ, really he does?

ok sorry for calling you guys creeps. but they should also see things from my point of view if i'm willing to see things from their point of view.
John Chrysostom

I am very interested in seeing things from your point of view. But the whole point of this thread is that when discussing others belief systems you should clarify what they believe and treat the information they give you as genuine. There will always be outliers in any belief system, those who espouse beliefs different from official doctrine or general opinion. They should not be treated as representatives of the whole, neither should they be allowed to negate official doctrine, in belief systems that have official doctrines. We are not trying to nail down every possible variation of belief of those who identify as Roman Catholic. We are trying to determine what the official doctrine of the church is and the beliefs of those on this forum. Telling the Catholics on this forum, who hold to the official doctrines of their church, that there are "some" Catholics who worship Mary is as pointless as telling you that there are "some" Protestants who picket soldiers funerals and blame their deaths on the gays.
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

John Chrysostom wrote:I am very interested in seeing things from your point of view. But the whole point of this thread is that when discussing others belief systems you should clarify what they believe and treat the information they give you as genuine. There will always be outliers in any belief system, those who espouse beliefs different from official doctrine or general opinion. They should not be treated as representatives of the whole, neither should they be allowed to negate official doctrine, in belief systems that have official doctrines. We are not trying to nail down every possible variation of belief of those who identify as Roman Catholic. We are trying to determine what the official doctrine of the church is and the beliefs of those on this forum. Telling the Catholics on this forum, who hold to the official doctrines of their church, that there are "some" Catholics who worship Mary is as pointless as telling you that there are "some" Protestants who picket soldiers funerals and blame their deaths on the gays.
ok I see what you mean I will have to think about this.....
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Dasi wrote:ok sorry for calling you guys creeps. but they should also see things from my point of view if i'm willing to see things from their point of view.
I agree completely, though I will tell you that many of the people here did at some point see things from your point of view in the past, myself included. We've just changed since than.
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
Dasi wrote:ok sorry for calling you guys creeps. but they should also see things from my point of view if i'm willing to see things from their point of view.
I agree completely, though I will tell you that many of the people here did at some point see things from your point of view in the past, myself included. We've just changed since than.
well I don't think I want to change I think I'll agree with my mom and what she has said to me. so maybe i should leave the church because now i'm really confused and don't know whats right.....
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

People change over time. Everyone changes. It can be scary, but it's the way life works. No one can stay the same forever.
Dasi
Fourscore and seven

Post by Dasi »

but if I believe something that is actually true I don't want to change and believe something else.

and I need to apoligize to everyone because I got it wrong they don't worship Mary they pray to her. and i believe that they do pray to her and think she is holy but I'm sorry for getting angry and giving the wrong information.