Pope Benedict Resigning

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Well I do say wise move on the pope's part for knowing his limitations.

To be fair on Whitty Whit, the reason so many people assume the scandal because a lot of individuals usually break down under media pressure, especially if you're suppose to be the idol of "morality" of all things that is suppose to be holy and good. For a controversy, like the scandal, to happen really makes people question if those people inside the Vatican are truly "Godly" people or not.

Though I will just give the pope a benefit of a doubt that he's resigning for good reasons.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

For those here who have suggested that the Papacy attracts those seeking power, I highly recommend you look into the life of Pope St. Pius X, a man who came from extremely humble backgrounds, born into a family of 10 children. Even after becoming Pope, he stated, “I was born poor, I lived poor, I will die poor.” One other source states:
He was embarrassed by some of the pomp of the papal court. “Look how they have dressed me up,” he said in tears to an old friend. To another, “It is a penance to be forced to accept all these practices. They lead me around surrounded by soldiers like Jesus when he was seized in Gethsemani.” While he did not author a famous social encyclical as his predecessor had done, he denounced the ill treatment of indigenous peoples on the plantations of Peru, sent a relief commission to Messina after an earthquake and sheltered refugees at his own expense. On the 11th anniversary of his election as pope, Europe was plunged into World War I. Pius had foreseen it, but it killed him. “This is the last affliction the Lord will visit on me. I would gladly give my life to save my poor children from this ghastly scourge.” He died a few weeks after the war began.
I would also highly recommend reading about the origin of the "Room of Tears". Not all who are elected Pope wish for the position at all, some even dread it. I am not as familiar with Pope Benedict XVI, but I know this was definitely the case with PiousX.

As for those in the Vatican, they are just as human and flawed as we are and perhaps subject to more severe repercussions because of it. Consider the location of Michelangelo's "Last Judgement". The painting was not placed above the altar where the congregation would see it, but instead it is located where the Bishops and Cardinals would sit (facing in the opposite direction) and they would be looking right at it. This rightly represented the fact that the leaders of the church had a graver duty with severe consequences should they neglect it!
Last edited by Sherlock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

I don't think there was any scandal. He just chose to give up papacy for lent, that's all.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

It didn't take long for some sort of scandal story to come out. I'm not sure if I believe it at this point, but there is a rumor out there. Here's the Christian Post article.
Last edited by Christian A. on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I heard that the group behind the alleged ‘charges’ is just a radical organization with no actual authority, meaning the claim that there has been real action taken in this is fictitious. They apparently pull this kind of thing frequently, trying to go after different world leaders. It’s all talk. The coincidence that it coincides with the resignation (if it even is coincidence, I wouldn’t be surprised if they rushed to put this story together after the announcement, to make it look more real) is just a lucky break that’s getting them attention.
I really think the most plausible reason for stepping down is precisely what he said it is, failing health.
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I think it was just the stress of his job.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That too, definitely. And that well could have led to the failing health.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

On a related note, I saw this fascinating pope-related video the other day:

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

When I first heard about this last week I was so surprised. I honestly thought that Pope John Paul the second was still Pope. Pope Benedict can't be too scandalous if I've never heard of him until now...
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

The Catholic church is currently "sede vacante" with the end of Benedict XVI reign.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I heard on the radio today that this is the first time since the 1400s that a pope has stepped down and resigned, rather ending his reign through death. I thought that was interesting.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Christian A. wrote:I heard on the radio today that this is the first time since the 1400s that a pope has stepped down and resigned, rather ending his reign through death. I thought that was interesting.
What else is interesting is that even though the vast majority reign until death, the average pontificate is eight years, which is what Benedict’s was.