The Town of Odyssey
http://thetoo.com/

Bible Translations
http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=33216
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Liz_Horton [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 am ]
Post subject:  Bible Translations

As a student of Koine (NT Greek) and soon to be Biblical Hebrew, I am always curious as to what translations of the Bible are most popular. So what is your favorite translation and or paraphrase?

Author:  The Kings Daughter [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I'm curious, which do you feel comfortable using? :)

And I use NASB. :yes:

Author:  John Chrysostom [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I use the Orthodox Study Bible which is modified NKJV for the New Testament and St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint for the Old Testament.

Author:  TigerintheShadows [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I use ESV. Love that sucker. \:D/

Author:  Marvin D. [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I especially enjoy NKJV and HCSB, and I also use the KJV occasionally.

Author:  Laura Ingalls [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I use the NASB. :yes:

Author:  Jesus' Princess [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I mainly use ESV, but I also use NIV 1984 and NASB on occasion.

Author:  Christian A. [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I mainly used NIV 1984 until recently when my family switched to ESV. And for church, we use NKJV.

Author:  Liz_Horton [ Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

The Kings Daughter wrote:
I'm curious, which do you feel comfortable using? :)


For NT study I am trying to stop using English translations, but when I do, I generally use several translations including but not limited to: the Knox Bible, The New Jerusalem (catholic) Bible, NIV UK, NT Wright's NT paraphrase and the Message.

Author:  Blitz [ Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

KJV as all ways and most likely will never change.

Author:  Stop Wooton' Around [ Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

TigerintheShadows wrote:
I use ESV. Love that sucker. \:D/


That's the one I have on my phone and use for devotions because you don't always feel like doing devotions but ESV make them better and I really get more out of scripture by reading them. O, I know there is controversy of what translation (or paraphrase as you put it, I caught that) you use but I really think God can still talk through it. For church, weddings, funerals, etc. we use the KJV but for my personal use, its the ESV.

Author:  godisawesomeness99 [ Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I either use the ESV for the NIV 1984

Author:  Kait [ Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

I use NASB just for normal reading and my Oxford Annotated NRSV for more serious "study," but I almost always look up original greek and hebrew for critical verses and read lots of commentary from scholars about things ... and by scholars, I mean people who have one or more PhDs in this stuff and know more about the language, history and context better than I probably ever will.

Author:  Liz_Horton [ Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

Kait wrote:
I use NASB just for normal reading and my Oxford Annotated NRSV for more serious "study," but I almost always look up original greek and hebrew for critical verses and read lots of commentary from scholars about things ... and by scholars, I mean people who have one or more PhDs in this stuff and know more about the language, history and context better than I probably ever will.



Lord willing, I one day will be one of those scholars.

Author:  Kait [ Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

Liz_Horton wrote:
Kait wrote:
I use NASB just for normal reading and my Oxford Annotated NRSV for more serious "study," but I almost always look up original greek and hebrew for critical verses and read lots of commentary from scholars about things ... and by scholars, I mean people who have one or more PhDs in this stuff and know more about the language, history and context better than I probably ever will.



Lord willing, I one day will be one of those scholars.


I would love to be one, a well. If I ever make it to graduate school and post graduate school... religious/biblical studies will likely be my focus.

Author:  WindowWasher [ Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Bible Translations

Blitz wrote:
KJV as all ways and most likely will never change.


This.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/