The Bible in different languages

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

The Bible in different languages

Post by Aeva »

While I was reading through Iron and Light's reintroduction thread, I found this statement:
Jelly wrote:From my experience, the language you use to read Scripture doesn't necessarily make a difference unless you're actually learning to read it in different light. :(
I hope you don't mind if I use your statement to spark a new discussion, Jelly, but I saw a goldmine in what you wrote. \:D/ Because I'm a language student (I'm currently studying Spanish and French), I recently purchased a bilingual, Spanish Bible to read, and already I have found a wealth of new treasures. Many of the words have slightly different meanings which provide interesting variations on the mental images that I have always had. I'll give you a few examples to try to illustrate what I mean.

One of my favorite chapters is Psalm 91; here's verse one in English:

Here it is in Spanish: "El que habita al abrigo del Altísimo se acoge a la sombra del Todopoderoso." (This is the Nueva Versión Internacional if anybody cares to know. :p )

Translated back to English: "He that lives in/inhabits the shelter ("abrigo" can also be translated as "coat, overcoat" which is a wonderful picture of God putting his coat around us) of the Highest takes refuge in ("se acoge" also means "has recourse to" in regard to a law) the shadow of the All-Powerful."

Verse 3:

In Spanish: "Sólo él puede librarte de las trampas del cazador y de mortíferas plagas..."

Back to English: "Only He can free you from the traps ("trampas" figuratively means "tricks") of the hunter and from deadly plagues..."

Here's 1 Peter 5: 6-7:

In Spanish: "Humíllense, pues, bajo la poderosa mano de Dios, para que él los exalte a su debido tiempo. Depositen en él toda ansiedad, porque él cuida de ustedes."

Back to English: "Humble yourselves, then, under the powerful hand of God, so that he will promote/raise/exalt you at His own time. Place in Him all anxiety, because He takes care of'/looks after you."

My point is, I think reading the Bible in a different language can make a difference even if you're not deliberately looking for that to happen, simply due to the nuances of language. Have any of you read the Bible in a foreign language? If so, did you find anything like I did?
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
ique
Found

Post by ique »

I highly approve of this topic.
I have nothing to add at this point, but I wanted to say that. =p
*keeps an eye on it*
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I have had a similar experience when reading the Greek and Hebrew translations of the Old Testament texts. This article shows some very interesting differences. http://theorthodoxlife.wordpress.com/20 ... etic-text/