Lent

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Lent

Post by Jehoshaphat »

Catholics have different seasons of the year and each have their own meaning and benefits. The forty days before Easter are called Lent, and in this time we are called to fast and abstain in order to grow in a closer relationship with God. On every Friday we abstain from meat and on two days, Good Friday and Ash Wednesday, all those over 18 are called to fasting and abstinence. Fasting means eating only 1 full meal and 2 smaller ones. That is what my family and I are doing right now. I am wondering, are there any other denominations practice Lenten fasting?
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Eastern Orthodox practice Lenten fasting as well. The focus for us during this time is on fasting and alms giving. We fast to practice obedience to God and the calming of the passions. During the 40 days before Easter we abstain from meat and dairy products.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jehoshaphat wrote:Fasting means eating only 1 full meal and 2 smaller ones.
Isn't that normal? :anxious:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

No. Most people eat three large meals. A small meal on a fast day would be a piece of fruit, or a simple sandwich. The two smaller meals are not supposed to equal one larger meal.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Simon Magus
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Simon Magus »

I think this focus on the physical is misplaced. Why should we do anything with these physical cages for our souls?
These are the hidden words that the living Jesus spoke, and that Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down. And He said: "Whoever finds the meaning of these words will not taste death."