Legalist Q & A

To unite all the social issues. :twisted:

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Legalist Q & A

Post by The Mysterious »

Hello, citizens of Odyssey. I'm a radical legalist. Yes, some of you know me as the infamous JH. I decided to start a Q & A for myself. Methinks, you'll benefit by the experience with someone who's an "Extreme" conservative. Don't use hate words though. I found the topic called "dirty dancing" and I saw some shocking, offensive statements toward legalists. David J. Stewart is a fake, and an atheist, but if he were a Christian who held to those ideas he would be extreme to me. Yet, I am one extreme person to you. Go on an ask me.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

So you're comparing yourself to a fake site that was intended to mock legalism?

Also, why are you embracing the legalist title? Didn't Christ speak out against legalism in the New Testament?
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

Why haven't you started a Q&A on the SS? =p
But, seriously what kind of church do you attend? Why do you believe all the super strict stuff you believe?
Last edited by Wakko on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
lImage
Wakko's some old creepy guy from the 1900's. - Paula
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

Additional note: I'm understanding that I have ignored one person's arguements, and say something else. The reasons are 1. I have to little time to post 2. I get satisfied by their arguments OR 3. Because I see no need to answer them. I am inexperienced in debating so I thank you guys for showing me how a person has to be reasonable, etc. when he debates such as giving out a reasonable source.
John Chrysostom wrote:So you're comparing yourself to a fake site that was intended to mock legalism?

Also, why are you embracing the legalist title? Didn't Christ speak out against legalism in the New Testament?
1. I'm not comparing myself to him. There's enough evidence that he's an atheist who just wants to make fun of ultra-conservative Christians.
2. You guys call me legalist. There are two definitions: 1. One who believes that one can be saved by good works (That can never happen!) 2. One who is too strict.

I used the word "Legalist," because the type of person I am is what you call "legalist". I do not believe I'm too strict, whereas you do because I do not allow things you allow.
bobmac wrote:Why haven't you started a Q&A on the SS? =p
But, seriously what kind of church do you attend? Why do you believe all the super strict stuff you believe?
1. Because, I've had enough arguments in the SS, and have decided to stop arguing. Plus, this message board is hardly alive.
2. I could say Holiness. (for now).
3. Because to me it's not super-strict. I want to follow the truth as the Bible says it is.
John Chrysostom

If you don't believe in work based salvation why do you emphasize outer appearances and works so much?
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

What kind of haircut do you have? How long is your hair? What do you usually wear?
lImage
Wakko's some old creepy guy from the 1900's. - Paula
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

Why is your definition of nudity showing any skin below the neck?

You have stated this on the Soda Shop.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Mr. Whit's End wrote:Why is your definition of nudity showing any skin below the neck?

Do you wear gloves? :-k
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

John Chrysostom wrote:If you don't believe in work based salvation why do you emphasize outer appearances and works so much?
I forgot to mention inward as well.
bobmac wrote:What kind of haircut do you have? How long is your hair? What do you usually wear?
A Normal haircut from the barbershop. xD
My hair? I tend to have hair that goes down to the top of my neck, at the present, but that is because I went to the barber's recently. When it gets long it covers part of the neck.
I usually wear long pants, and a shirt. xD In the summer, the shirt usually is short-sleeved. When at home, I cover my body less. xD The only time I ever wear shorts is when I am home, and when I sleep. Also, sometimes in vacation.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:Why is your definition of nudity showing any skin below the neck?

I should have made my meaning plainer. I don't think short-sleeved shirts are nudity though I sounded like that. I believe that exposing the body too much such as the breasts of women can be regarded as part-nudity. Actually, a better word is half-naked. In my definitoin, half-naked women are women wearing extremely short pants, or else bikinis. Naked women are even more daring in their skin.
~JCGJ~ wrote:

Do you wear gloves? :-k
:lol: only in the winter.
John Chrysostom

Even if you mention inward works you're still very focused on what people look like, why do you care so much? If works don't save us then why focus so much on people's appearances? Isn't it the inward that really matters?
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

John Chrysostom wrote:Even if you mention inward works you're still very focused on what people look like, why do you care so much? If works don't save us then why focus so much on people's appearances? Isn't it the inward that really matters?
That is why women should not wear jewelry. It's not the wearing itself, or the jewelry itself. But, it's the pride, or desire for more beauty, etc. Also, the Bible tells us that the adornment should not be outward, but inward. Women don't need jewelry or to make themselves beautiful. There's the "hidden man" in the heart. The "inward" not the "outward" is where the beauty is.
John Chrysostom

You're still obsessed, which by definition is to"be preoccupied with or constantly worrying about something." Which you are, almost every thread turns into you chastising or lecturing on outward appearances. You agree with me that the inward matters but then immediately go and write out a lecture on why women shouldn't wear jewelry.

You need to calm down and not be so obsessed with outward appearances. Real change comes from inside, even if you got everyone to agree to conform to your strict standards of outward appearances that in of itself would not change their inner state. However if you showed others love instead of judging them based on their outward appearances you might impact them and there might be a real change.
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

John Chrysostom wrote:You're still obsessed, which by definition is to"be preoccupied with or constantly worrying about something." Which you are, almost every thread turns into you chastising or lecturing on outward appearances. You agree with me that the inward matters but then immediately go and write out a lecture on why women shouldn't wear jewelry.

You need to calm down and not be so obsessed with outward appearances. Real change comes from inside, even if you got everyone to agree to conform to your strict standards of outward appearances that in of itself would not change their inner state. However if you showed others love instead of judging them based on their outward appearances you might impact them and there might be a real change.
You do not realize my point. My point is the reason why women wear jewelry.

How do I judge people? I'm not as obcessed as you think I am. Also, my main purpose is not to change people, but to give out my thoughts. (though I do get carried away sometimes).
John Chrysostom

If that's your reason then speak to the inner life and stop talking about outer appearances. You judge other people all the time, you keep talking about the sin or wearing jewelry or long hair but that is not the sin the sin is the pride. When you get carried away that is when you are obsessed and judge and you get carried away a lot.

Why aren't you trying to change people?
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

Because people don't listen to me. It's God who changes people if they're wrong. I have not made conclusion that men wearing long hair is sin. As for Jewelry, yes, I should have mentioned the inner things as well which I failed to mention. But, I do not think wearing a wedding ring is a sin.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

So, I suppose your stance is that one should only wear clothing that has a practical purpose, and not for fashion (ex. A wide brimmed hat to shade the face, but not a stylish fedora on a cloudy day)?
They/Them
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

I have no idea what a fedora is.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Whether you know what a fedora is or not, answer the question. Do you think that clothes are to be worn only for function and anything more fashionable is wrong?
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

This is a stylish fedora:

Fairly impractical, mostly just for looks.
They/Them
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

I think those hats are OK.