Why are we so quick to NOT believe?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Why are we so quick to NOT believe?

Post by snubs »

For instance, if someone believes they encountered an angel, why does it seem we are so quick to say, "Yeah right!" ? We believe in God, right? and We believe in angels.. right? So who's to say that person didn't encounter an angel? It seems to me, that shows an extreme lack of faith/belief.

And I'm not just talking about angels here, but even when we believe God is telling us something via means of a physical feeling or dream.

Thoughts? Are you quick to dismiss these kinds of things with other more logical explanations?
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I generally tend to believe in these things but I think discernment is also important.
Liz_Horton
Animatronic

Post by Liz_Horton »

I definitely think that there is something to experiential/ emotional truth. I also think that discernment is key. Personally, God speaks to me most through dreams and visions. However, that does NOT mean that every dream I have is some revelation from God, sometimes I just have a dream. The same goes for the rest of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. They exist, they are given to those who are willing to receive, however they are not forever on command super powers.
As for the why supernatural tendencies tend to be dismissed or ignored I blame modern thought, which heavily influenced the idea that if one cannot explain an event logically, it must not be. This is definitely a lack of faith/ pride issue on the side of humans. It goes along with the thought of humans must be able to understand everything, all mysteries will be made known. Which is not necessarily true. If a human thinks he (or she) understands God (totally), the God they serve is a figment of their imagination and or a projection of themselves.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

I was thinking a bit about this lately. I have some friends who are very quick to ascribe things they've learned directly to the Holy Spirit. While I definitely do not deny the Holy Spirit's role in teaching us things, I've seen them get themselves into pickles when it becomes evident that what they thought the Holy Spirit taught then was not in fact true. To put it simply, humility is in order when we feel God is communicating with us.

There are a couple of verses I've found helpful in discerning whether or not something is from God. The first is Ephsians 6:17:

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" (Ephesians 6:17).

What I take away from that verse is that the Spirit's first weapon is God's Word. Anything that disagrees with the Bible can be safely discarded immediately. Secondly, if I want to empower the Spirit in my life, I can do so by immersing myself more fully in God's Word. (See also: Isaiah 8:19, 20.)

Here's one more passage that helps a lot:

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" (Philippians 4:8).