Richard Dawkins (split thread)

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Dredge
Classic

Richard Dawkins (split thread)

Post by Dredge »

* split from Eastern Orthodox Denomination Q&A

Isn't Richard Dawkins an Anglican bishop? Seeing as though we were discussing theological wealth.
Last edited by Dredge on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Dredge wrote:Isn't Richard Dawkins an Anglican bishop? Seeing as though we were discussing theological wealth.
Um, no?

edit: looks like there's a quote from Dawkins about being a "Cultural Anglican," referring to his nostalgia for some of the Church's aesthetic elements and traditions. Here's an idea: Why don't we all try doing a five second google search before spewing outlandish and nonsensical claims?
Last edited by jelly on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Isn't Richard Dawkins an atheist?
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

GJ wrote:Isn't Richard Dawkins an atheist?
Yes, very vocally so.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Smelly wrote:
Dredge wrote:Isn't Richard Dawkins an Anglican bishop? Seeing as though we were discussing theological wealth.
Um, no?

edit: looks like there's a quote from Dawkins about being a "Cultural Anglican," referring to his nostalgia for some of the Church's aesthetic elements and traditions. Here's an idea: Why don't we all try doing a five second google search before spewing outlandish and nonsensical claims?
Actually, I asked because I heard a certain Janet Parshall say this and I figured you would know.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Why is Janet Parshall saying things that aren't even remotely in the realm of truth? If I were you, I would find a new source of Christian "news" or whatever it is that she does. Or do research for yourself for goodness' sake.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Smelly wrote:Why is Janet Parshall saying things that aren't even remotely in the realm of truth? If I were you, I would find a new source of Christian "news" or whatever it is that she does. Or do research for yourself for goodness' sake.
Well actually, I don't listen to her on a regular basis because she's on about the same time as another talkradio host--- but on that particular day I wasn't in the area of the other station.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

And whatever you heard sounded plausible enough that you believed it? If some radio hack claimed that Stephen Hawking was a Baptist minister, would you believe that too?
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Smelly wrote:And whatever you heard sounded plausible enough that you believed it? If some radio hack claimed that Stephen Hawking was a Baptist minister, would you believe that too?
Name calling=not good.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Dredge wrote:
Smelly wrote:And whatever you heard sounded plausible enough that you believed it? If some radio hack claimed that Stephen Hawking was a Baptist minister, would you believe that too?
Name calling=not good.
Definitions of "hack" as graciously provided by Urban Dictionary:
A cheap, mediocre, or second-rate practitioner, especially in the fields of journalism and literature: a charlatan or incompetent.
A person who is a professional at doing some sort of service, but does poop work.
Without referring to any particular individual, I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of a talk show radio host who unapologetically perpetuates absurd untruths for reasons I can only assume are void of any kind of integrity.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

So, you have elaborated and called a well-respected lawyer from a great country cheap, second-rate, etc. I can't help but wonder if you'd say that to her face.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Dredge wrote:So, you have elaborated and called a well-respected lawyer from a great country cheap, second-rate, etc. I can't help but wonder if you'd say that to her face.
She literally lied to all of the people who were listening to her program. Most likely it was deliberate, but at the least it was brazenly negligent. Why are you offended by jelly calling a liar a hack, instead of being upset with the person who lied to you?
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Dredge wrote:So, you have elaborated and called a well-respected lawyer from a great country cheap, second-rate, etc. I can't help but wonder if you'd say that to her face.
It's like you completely ignored the part where I said "without referring to any particular individual..."

I have no idea who she is, but I'm sure if we were talking face to face, we'd wind up having the most riveting conversation about the Anglican Church and how weird and funny it would be if Richard Dawkins was a bishop. \:D/
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Tea Ess wrote:
She literally lied to all of the people who were listening to her program. Most likely it was deliberate, but at the least it was brazenly negligent. Why are you offended by jelly calling a liar a hack, instead of being upset with the person who lied to you?
I highly doubt it was deliberate. This exchange reeks of conspiratorial hatred.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Dredge wrote:I highly doubt it was deliberate. This exchange reeks of conspiratorial hatred.
the rest of my post wrote:...but at the least it was brazenly negligent. Why are you offended by jelly calling a liar a hack, instead of being upset with the person who lied to you?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Oh good, I'm glad we have a dedicated Richard Dawkins thread now. \:D/ He'd exercise his priestly duty and forgive us of our transgressions.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Stephen Hawking is the Archbishop of Canterbury, right?
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Ya'll a riot you know. Is this a serious thread even? Why is this even here? I've known like all my life Dawkins is an atheist.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Yeah, same. I'm kind of disappointed in Moody radio for airing something that obviously false, assuming that's what actually happened.