[ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What Did You Think Of This Chapter?
It Was Totally Boring. 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
It Wasn't Boring, But It Needs A Lot Of Improvement. 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
It Was Okay. 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
It Was Pretty Darn Interesting. 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
It Was So Good That I Couldn't Stop Reading It Until I Was Finished. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post Post subject: My Book ("The Christian Crusader")
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:22 pm 
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Cash: 104.18
Bank: 0.00
I would love some constructive critisism on the chapters I write (as I write them). Please be as candid as you'd like and if you have any tips feel free to share them. Also, for the sake of saving space, I didn't include paragraph indentations. Now, without further adoux (I can't spell #-o )...

Chapter #1: The Crusade Begins
Looking back on it all, it’s hard to remember where one day ended and another began, but I’ll tell it to you the best I can. It all started when I decided to attend Liberty University. I had been searching a long time for a Christian college to attend, and this seemed like the one God was leading me to. If I had known what lay in store for me, however, I might never have even applied. Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Adam Johnson, and this is my story.
It was December 1, 2005. I was studying for my freshman final exams that would be coming in only a week or two. There was a rumor floating around campus that a lot of the finals were going to be more tough this year due to the face Liberty University had recently hired some new professors. The final exam that I was most worried about taking was my Advanced Mathematics class. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking, you’d be nervous too, right? Well, I was more than nervous… I was in downright depression! How would I ever prepare for this final when I had been sleeping through half the classes this semester?
You know, Satan picks the worst times (from our perspective) to try to lure us into sin, and he certainly didn’t waste this opportunity. Immediately, I remembered that I had access to my professor’s office. I had been doing part-time janitorial work for my work-study program, and one of the rooms I cleaned was his office. I bet by now you’re thinking that I wanted to steal a copy of the exam… well, you’re right. I struggled with this idea for two or more hours. “How could I do something like that?” I thought. “Stealing a copy of the final exam could get me expelled.” I tried turning on Christian music, watching a movie, and going for a short drive, but nothing seemed to help.
After another hour, my sin nature got the best of me, sadly. It was around 9:00pm, so I had a few hours until curfew… just enough time. Under the cover of darkness, I took my keys and opened the door to my professor’s office. Once inside, the first thing I noticed was the odor. It was a cross between stale coffee and chalk. I carefully tiptoed toward his desk, but after only a few steps I stopped dead in my tracks. What was that sound I had just heard! Were they footsteps? I quickly ducked behind the desk as a flashlight swept over the door and a head poked in through the opened door.
“It’s just an open door. I guess this guy forgot to close it before he left for the night,” the LUPD officer said into his walkie talkie. I waited a few more minutes after he had left just to make sure he was really gone. It was during those minutes that I noticed what I was sitting on.
One of the tiles, the one right near right-rear leg of the desk, was clearly new. All of the other tiles around it seemed to be faded while this one was clear and shiny. I instinctively touched the tile, and to my surprise it receded into the floor! I suddenly heard a soft whooshing noise, similar to that of an automatic door opening, and the bookshelf behind the desk slid sideways right into the wall. Behind the bookshelf was a small, empty room. Nevertheless, this “secret room” had caught my attention, so I went in to investigate. To my disappointment, all that was in the room was a plain wooden table with a TV remote on it. On closer inspection, however, I realized that this was no ordinary remote. Some of the buttons looked familiar, such as the numbers. But then it also had letters, a fast-forward and rewind button, a button labeled “activate”, and a LCD display at the top of it. “Weird,” I thought. I had never seen this kind of remote before, if you can even call it a remote.
For some odd reason, the story of Adam and Eve popped into my mind. I had been reading it earlier in the day in my Introduction to the Old Testament class, but this certainly was an odd time to remember it. I had a little time, so I started trying to figure out how this thing worked. I punched in A-D-A-M, just to see if anything about me would pop up. To my surprise, something did. The number 300 appeared on the LCD display. “That’s not what I typed in, this thing must be broken.” I thought to myself in disappointment. Then the number changed to 299, then 298, then 297 (well, you get the idea). I realized that it was now counting down to something… but what?
“What are you doing in my office!” a voice from somewhere behind me screamed. I froze dead in my tracks, paralyzed with fear. That voice sounded familiar, but no way could it be who I thought it was. Slowly I turned around, and my suspicions were confirmed… my professor was right behind me.
“I… I… I…” I stammered.
“I see you found my time displacement device,” my professor said.
“Aren’t you mad at me?” I asked.
“You bet I am! If it wasn’t for the fact that you found this device, you’d already be on your way to the police and would have received a failing grade in my class!” he shouted. All of the sudden, his face went right from looking as if it were about to explode to a type of calmness that can only be explained by the presence of God. “But since you discovered this,” he continued much more calmly, “I might as well tell you what it is. This is something I’ve been working on ever since I was your age. You see, since I was a little boy I had always wondered what it would be like if I could’ve been a witness to all of my favorite Bible stories. To actually be there and carry on a conversation with some of the Bible’s greatest heroes. That’s why I invented this. It took me 35 years and almost all of my savings, but I finally did it. That’s why I became a professor in advanced mathematics; it took a lot of precise calculations to make this work.”
“But what does it do?” I ask.
“Oh, that’s simple.” he said, as if it was something everyone knew. “This device will transport you to any time period in the Bible that you wish. You just type in the name of the story and press activate; it’s as simple as that. The fast-forward button and rewind button, used along with the numbers on the device, can help you reverse or fast-forward time during the story. “
“So I’ll actually be in the story, not just watching it as an outside spectator?” I asked with some disbelief. No way could this be possible, right?
“Yes. Imagine the possibilities, my boy. You’ll be able to talk with Noah about the weather. You’ll be able to ask Samson what gym he goes to. You’ll be able to ask Job what his job was. You’ll be able to play polo with the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Get the picture?”
“Yes.” I mumbled. I had no clue what to say, I was speechless. Was this guy for real? He couldn’t be… could he?
“I see that it’s counting down,” he said, “what did you type in?”
I looked down at the device. It was already on 60. “I typed in Adam.” I said.
“Well, it looks like you’re going to have a fun time,” my professor said in a slightly sarcastic tone. “You don’t have much time left so I’ll leave you with only one rule if you want to use this device: do not, under any circumstances, interfere with any of the stories. God’s plan is perfect, and everything that happened did so for a reason. No matter how much you might want to interfere, don’t. It will be very hard not to at times, but you absolutely must not. Okay?”
“Okay.” I agreed.
My professor then left the office. As he closed the door, he said, “One more thing. I’m going to open this door in thirty minutes and I expect to see you here. Don’t worry, I know you will be.” He then finished closing the door and locked it from the outside.
“That was weird. How could I visit all of my favorite stories from the Bible and be back in thirty minutes? Oh well, I suppose I’ll understand it later.” I thought to myself.
I looked down at the device and noticed that it was on 5. It then changed to 4, 3, 2, 1… ZAP! A stream of pure light shot out of the tip of the device like an arc of electricity and hit the opposite wall. Once it made contact, it continued to spread out until it created a circle almost 5 feet in diameter. The circle itself looked the same as the wall behind it, except for the fact the circle was shimmering. I stood there for almost 5 minutes, staring wide-eyed and slack-jawed at it. This couldn’t be for real! No Way… but yet, there it was. That was when I noticed that the circle was starting to shrink. The more it shrank, however, the faster it went. In a minute or two the hole would probably be gone. “Well, it’s now or never, I suppose.” I said to myself nervously.
Gathering all of my determination, and broke through the standstill I had come to. I ran full charge at the circle of light. I closed my eyes and braced for impact, expecting to hit the wall. But instead of hitting the wall… I just kept running!
After a couple of seconds, I immediately stopped. Afraid to open my eyes, I took in all of my senses. I could feel a rise in the temperature. It was probably about 45 degrees in my professor’s office, but now it felt like a near perfect 75 degrees. Then I noticed something beneath my feet. Was that… grass I felt? “No way!” I thought. And was that crickets I was hearing!? I was starting to think I was going crazy. Maybe I had hit the wall and this was all just one big hallucination. Slowly and cautiously, I opened one eye, then the other. What I saw literally took my breath away.

Last edited by Movieman on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm 
The Council is GREAT!

Cash: 7.52
May I direct you to the SBC Inventors Corner?
Here.

You can join through the Factions button. We encourage people to post their writing and art projects there!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:07 pm 
darcietastical
darcietastical
Nothing to see here.

Cash: 159.09
Moved to the Inventor's Corner per author's request.

Looks exciting!

"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:20 am 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,385.75
Bank: 1,958.31
Wow, very interesting! (As long as you don't have a math teacher at LU that might want to sue you for defamation of character or something.) ;) It sounds like you have an excellent imagination! \:D/

I think that it would be easier to read with the spaces in it, because that's a lot of text really close together. :-k

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Consider It Fixed
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:16 am 
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

I changed my post so the paragraphs show up... enjoy \:D/ .

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 am 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

That definitely makes it easier to look at, and it doesn't really take up much more room. Thanks! \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:29 am 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

The following are movieman85's second, third and fourth chapters and are not written by Catspaw! He has received the financial reward for this post.

Chapter #2: Adam And Eve
I was in the middle of what appeared to be a large garden. No, the word “garden” could not fully describe this place. I was in a Utopia. I could see the sun rising just beyond the hills in the distance, creating a sunrise so beautiful that it would make the most hardened of criminals cry. I turned around in a circle, taking in the sights. To my left I could see a pond that had the clearest water I had ever seen. It was so clear that if it wasn’t for the fact the water was rippling, it would look like there was no water in the pond at all. To my right I could see a beautiful apple tree standing in the middle of a field. The apples on it however, unnerved me a little bit. There were such a dark red that they almost looked like they had been dipped in blood. “That must be the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.” I thought. As I looked in front of me, I could see a path that appeared to lead away from this garden and into the distance. When I looked behind me, however, I saw what looked like a huge mound of dirt. “This is certainly out of place.” I thought to myself. I decided to move closer to it for a more in depth examination.
Upon a closer inspection, I realized it wasn’t dirt. It was like newly washed-up sand on a beach, and it carried a vague hypnotic quality to it. I made the mistake of starring at it and found myself entranced. I didn’t break out of my trance until I heard the voice. There was no mistaking this voice, the minute I heard it I knew it had to be none other than God himself.
There is no way to accurately describe this voice. The closest I can come to describing it would be to combine the power and force of a hurricane with the peace and tranquility of an early morning sunrise. The voice thundered through the mountain tops and dropped me to my knees in fear.
This voice went on to say, “Let us make man in our own image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”
All of the sudden, a strong gust of wind came from behind me and plowed straight into the pile of sand, blowing it everywhere. “Wait a minute, something seems out of place.” I thought to myself. It took me a minute to realize what it was; there was a man buried in the sand! I dared to look closer and I realized that there was no man in the sand and that it was just in the shape of a man... or so I thought. As I stared in shock, the shape of this “man” started to take on more human features. Little details such as eyelashes, fingernails and toenails, as well as hair started to take shape; the kind of details that are just not possible in a sand sculpture. Then, to my further shock, the sand started to smooth out until it was of a more fleshy texture which was similar to human skin. As if that wasn’t enough, the “skin” started to take on a more pinkish color until it looked exactly like human skin.
It was at this point I decided to go hide in some of the dense foliage. I watched as this man, now fully complete, stood up out of the pile of sand and started to walk around, as if testing out his legs for the first time.
Then, seemingly out of nowhere, a flash of bright light filled the area. I looked up just in time to see a beautiful, heavenly, being descend out of the sky. The beauty of this being was incomprehensible. This being, who was obviously God, started conversing with this newly-formed man, which by now I had realized was Adam, but unfortunately I couldn’t here them. I didn’t dare sneak closer, for fear of getting caught.
I was about to finally overcome my fear and sneak a little closer when a huge tree trunk hit the ground not 2 feet from me. I looked up at the tree and realized this was no ordinary tree, in fact, this was no tree at all… it was a dinosaur! “This must be the part where Adam names all the animals!” I thought to myself in excitement.
I sat there for what seemed like hours as I watched animal after countless animal parade in front of Adam. Some of the animals I recognized, like the bear, crocodile, and gorilla (just to name a few). Others, however, I had only seen in those fictional stories some people like to call high school science textbooks. I stared in awe as a saw a saber-toothed tiger, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, and Stegosaurus stomp by me. I could go on for another hour or so describing all those animals, but I won’t bore you with that.
Through all of this, I noticed that Adam looked a little sad. I saw God bend down and put his ear next to Adam’s mouth, and I saw Adam whisper something. After I saw Adam’s mouth stop moving, God stood up. He then touched Adam on the forehead, and Adam promptly fell over as if unconscious. “Oh, this must be the “deep sleep” that the Bible talks about.” I thought.
“You can come out from behind those bushes now.” God said.
My heart almost dropped right out of my body; I had been caught! Looking back on that particular moment, I realize how foolish I was to think that God didn’t know that I was there the whole time. After all, God knows everything.
Out of nowhere, a wave of calm swept over me like the ocean coming in at high tide. I stepped out from behind the bushes, and walked up to God. I didn’t even get 1 foot toward him before I felt an overwhelming urge to lay prostrate on the ground before my Lord.
“I’m not worthy to even be in your presence!” I cried out loud as I fell to the ground.
“No, you’re not. But through the blood of my son, Jesus Christ, you are. But that’s another story anyway. Come here, my child.” God said.
Again, that overwhelming wave of calmness swept over me and I got up.
“Do you know why you’re here?” God asked me.
“I’m here because I found the time displacement device, right?” I asked with a hint of doubt in my voice.
“Who do you think led you to that thing anyway?” God asked with a slight grin on his face. “You know, that was a very bad thing that you did, sneaking into your professor’s office to get that exam ahead of time. You should have come to me in prayer about preparing for your final exam rather than take it into your own hands. This little trip you’re embarking on will serve two purposes. First, it will serve as your punishment for doing that; by the end of your trip, you’ll understand what the punishment is. Second, it will serve as a spiritual awakening for you. After we finish our conversation here, I will not speak to you again until the conclusion of our trip; some of these lessons you just need to learn for yourself. And another thing, you won’t get far in these modern clothes. If you wore these clothes in most places in the Bible, you’d probably be taken for a village idiot and be either arrested or killed. Here’s a robe and a pair of sandals; this should get you safely through the rest of your trip.” God said, handing me the clothes.
“Oh, come on God! How come you didn’t just zap the clothes right onto my body?” I asked in a playfully sarcastic tone.
“Be lucky you get clothes at all. Even Adam doesn’t have any clothes yet.” God said, smiling and winking at me. “So what do you think of this garden I created?” God continued. “Not bad for one of the first things I ever created, huh?”
“Yeah, it’s wonderful.” I said in a somewhat dazed tone. I knew full well that since God knew everything, he didn’t need any prior experience in creating things.
“Go explore the garden! You might as well enjoy yourself before “the main event” happens.” God said in a somewhat ominous tone, as if I didn’t know what “the main event” was.
I immediately obeyed God and went out into the garden to explore and enjoy myself, leaving him to his work. After about 5 minutes or so of running through the foliage, I came to a clearing. To my amazement, right in the middle of the clearing sat a Lion. The Lion, however, wasn’t the amazing part. What was amazing was that he was giving a lamb that was sitting next to him a tongue-bath! I had never seen a Lion up close before, so I went right up to it (very hesitantly, of course). I reached out my hand to pet the Lion. My hand was shaking so much that I was worried it would fall off, but it finally made contact with the Lion. And to my surprise, the Lion didn’t even bat an eyelash. In fact, it turned around and licked my cheek. This however, did not feel good at all. In fact, it felt more like someone using a power-sander on my face. I took the opportunity to put on my new clothes.
Afterward, I felt a little more adventurous than usual, so I cautiously climbed on the Lion’s back. No sooner had I got on the Lion than it took off like a freight train, tearing through the bushes like a hot knife through butter.
After what seemed like no time at all we were back near the scene of Adam’s creation. The Lion skidded to a halt, and the momentum carried me right over its head and I fell to the ground. After I got up, the first thing I noticed were the two people in front of me. I could now see both Adam and Eve, so it was obvious that the rib-removal had already taken place. Fortunately, there were bushes and branches that were positioned in just the right place to cover most of their bodies. I was also a little hungry, which is probably what made me focus on the apple that Eve was holding out to Adam. That apple looked strangely familiar, but I passed it off as déjà vu. “I’ll let them have their food; I’ll go find my own.” I thought as I started walking back toward the Lion for the return trip. I didn’t get two steps before I realized why that apple looked so familiar… that apple was from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and Eve was about to feed it to Adam! I whipped my head around just in time to see Adam take a huge bite out of the apple. “No!” I screamed to myself, realizing I couldn’t interfere. Not even five seconds after I Adam took that bite, I heard a low, menacing, growl behind me.
Slowly, and with much fear, I turned around. That playful gleam that had been in the Lion’s eyes was gone. In its place was the kind of look I get when I skip a meal, and it didn’t take a genius to figure out what the Lion wanted to eat.
Slowly I took the time displacement device out of my pocket, while at the same time trying not to break eye contact with the Lion. Very carefully, I typed in the letters N-O-A-H, remembering one of my favorite Bible stories. I saw the Lion glance quickly to the right, and that was all I needed; I took off running as fast as I could in the exact opposite direction. I could hear the heavy thud of the Lion’s paws hitting the ground as it chased after me. The Lion’s paws were hitting the ground so hard that I’d swear that I was being chased by a jackhammer. With all of the might my pointer finger could muster, I jammed it down on the activate button.
The beam of light shot out from the tip of the device and hit the ground right in front of me, causing me to fall right through the ground. As I was falling, I saw the Lion’s enormous paw sweep right over where my head had been not half a second before. “Wow! Good thing I hit that button when I did!” I thought, relieved that I escaped. I closed my eyes in preparation for where I might land and I prepared myself to be ready for anything.

Chapter #3: Noah’s Ark
I opened my eyes just in time to see myself falling hundreds of feet through the open sky and land right down on a floating log that had to be the size of a minivan. It was raining down all around me. The rains had the power of a tsunami and hurricane combined, like I’d never seen before. “Is that a wooden ocean liner I see in the distance?” I thought to myself as I looked through the wind and rain. “Oops,” I realized. “I guess I went too far.” I type in the number 1 and pressed the rewind button. All of the sudden, a wave of dizziness came over me and I passed out.
When I came to, I was in the middle of a clearing. It was a bright summer day without a cloud in the sky. If it wasn’t for the fact that I knew a flood was coming, I would have never guessed that there would even be a light shower on this beautiful day. To my right, I noticed, was a ledge that appeared to be overlooking a valley. I crawled over to it and looked over the edge. What I saw in the valley below looked like a beached ocean liner. It didn’t take me long at all to realize that this was no ocean liner; this was Noah’s ark!
I made my way down the hill and to the ark, pushing against people as I tried to get through the crowd that surrounded the ark. It brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat when I heard what some of the people in the crowd were shouting.
“You’re just a crazy old fool, Noah! Once the flood doesn’t come, you’ll realize the error of your ways!” One man yelled.
“Don’t be a fool like your father! Come join us!” another man shouted toward Ham, Shem, and Japheth.
“Leave that old man and come live with me! I make more money than Noah and I can provide a better life for you than that crazy old man ever could.” Another man, whom I suspected was drunk, shouted toward Noah’s wife.
Once I got through the huge crowd and to the ramp leading up into the ark, I saw Noah and his family.
“Please listen to me, everyone. God said he is going to bring a flood that will cover the entire earth in order to rid it of the sin that plagues it. Please heed my warning and enter the ark before it is too late!” Noah pleaded with the crowd.
In response, all Noah got were boos and hisses from the crowd as they continued to mock him. “Your God is a liar! Look, how could there possibly be a flood on such a beautiful day as this.”
I noticed that Noah and his family started to look extremely sad and depressed, as if the world they loved was coming to an end (and in a way, it was).
Partly out of sympathy for Noah, but mostly out of prior knowledge of the flood, I walked right up to Noah and prepared to enter the ark. I went up to him and said, “I believe you Noah. Let me enter your ark so that I may be saved from this terrible flood.”
“Enter, my brother. Come join me and my family in the ark.” Noah said, developing a warm smile on his face. “All I ask of you is one thing. Please don’t feel contempt toward these people shouting at us. Instead, pray for their souls. They have rejected God’s warning, and as a result, they and all they hold dear will perish in the flood. Also, what is your name?”
“I will.” I said, with a very heavy heart. “And my name is Adam.” I can’t even begin to describe the sadness I felt for these people as I entered the ark. Think about how sad you would feel if you knew that someone was going to die a horrible death right in front of your eyes and there was nothing you could do to stop it. That was how I felt.
I walked into the ark through the large door in its side. Once inside it, all I could do was stare in amazement at everything it contained.
In the far distance, I could just make out the other end of the ark. Imagine standing on one end of a football field and looking toward the other end; that was how long the ark was. And as far as my eyes could see, all there was were cages, animal pens, food troughs, and water troughs. There were little cages with tiny nets around that were probably going to be used to hold birds, big pens to hold animals like the Hippopotamus or Giraffe, and everything in between.
“Here, let me give you the grand tour.” A voice from behind me said. I turned around and stood face to face with Japheth. He was a good looking man who appeared to be in his mid-30’s (although I knew, from the Bible, that he was in fact around one-hundred years old at the time of the flood). His face was worn with years of hard labor, but he still had a look on his face that was full of energy and excitement.
“I’d like that.” I said.
First we went below the main level to the basement (I later found out there were three levels in the ark).
“This is where we keep all the food and water.” Japheth said. “As you can imagine, it’s going to take a lot of food to feed all the animals, as well as us, during this flood, so we came prepared. The first thing we realized was that we needed to collect vegetation that had a high water concentration, thereby cutting down on the storage space needed for both food and water.”
“How many animals are you expecting?” I asked.
“Around six-thousand pairs, give or take a few.” Japheth replied. This caught me quite off guard, but he had said it as if it was completely normal.
After a brief look around this area, we went up to the third level.
“These are the living quarters.” He said. “As you can see, we made a few extra beds in case anyone joined us, but sadly you’re the only one. We put the living space on the top level so we would be able to peek out these narrow openings over here once in a while to check on the status of the flood.” We walked over to what appeared to be windows, except for the fact they were covered and shut with a latch. Japheth lifted the latch and opened the window, letting me take in the view.
Did I ever mention I was afraid of heights? Well, I didn’t realize how high up we really were until I looked out that window. It was hard to judge the distance to the ground, but Japheth helped me out with that. I won’t bore you with cubits (their form of measurement), but let’s just say it was as tall as a four or five story building. I probably hadn’t been looking out the window for more than two minutes before I felt real dizzy, and I passed out
When I came to, I saw Japheth standing over me with a huge smirk on his face. “You know, you need to learn to deal with stuff like this,” he said with a hint of laughter in his voice. “If you think this is tough wait until the flood waters come.”
All of the sudden, the floor started to shake. It started out as a very small tremor, but in a few minutes it almost turned into a full blown earthquake. With a feeling of determination to overcome my fear of heights, I stole another glace out the window.
“Japheth, the animals are coming!” I shouted in excitement. At the moment, all I could see were the necks of two giraffes poking up over the tree tops and a huge flock of birds (comprised of many different species of birds), but I knew that there were many more behind them. I also noticed the crowd of people, that had only a little while ago been mocking Noah and his family, had moved away from the entrance to the ark so as not to get trampled by the animals. Many of them had looks of doubt and fear on their faces, as if they might change their minds. But still, no one approached the ark seeking shelter from the coming flood.
“Come on Adam, let’s go down and watch the animals as they arrive.” Japheth said. I could tell from the tone of his voice that he could hardly wait to get downstairs, so I quickly followed him.
Once we got to the main level, I broke into a run toward the door in the side of the ark. Just as I was coming up to the door, I almost got gored by a baby elephant that was heading the opposite way.
“Wow! That sure was close!” Japheth said “You need to be more careful.”
I decided to stand to the side as they came in. If I had ever before been curious as to how Noah had fit all the animals on the ark that was answered the minute the first animal walked through the door. The answer was… babies! “It all makes sense now.” I thought. Why would God send old animals? First off, most of them would be too old to procreate, so their species would die out a few years after leaving the ark. Second, baby animals would take up a lot less space, food, and water. I waited for what seemed like hours as all of the animals piled in. That sure was a sight to watch! From the gracefulness of the Bald Eagle to the Ostrich (who kept trying to put its head through the floorboards), they were all there. Seeing God’s creation gather together like that in one place is a memory I will cherish forever.
After a few more hours I heard Noah shout from somewhere in the back of the ark, “Okay, we’re done! The last of the animals has been secured.” He then turned to his son, Shem, and said, “Shem, go and make final preparations for the flood.”
“Yes, father.” He said
I decided to go back up to the living quarters to watch the approaching flood. As I looked out the window, I almost fainted again… but this time from shock! The sky was almost as black as tar, but yet it couldn’t be any later than 3 o’clock. Not even a few hours ago the sky had been as clear as bright summer day, now it was as dark as hell itself! I leaned out of the window partly to get a better view of the sky, and I almost fell out when the ark shook. “What was that?!” I shouted down to Noah, concerned that something might have damaged the ark.
“God has closed the door to the ark. The flood approaches…” Noah said, leaving his sentence open-ended.
That’s when I heard the banging and shouting.
“Please Noah, let me in! I believe you now!” one man wailed.
“Please tell your God to forgive me and save me from this flood!” another pleaded.
“I’ll do anything you want, just let me in!” another man said.
I could already see the tears forming. Not just in the eyes of Noah and his family, but in mine too. Now I knew what my professor had meant when he said it would be hard not to interfere. Oh, how I wanted to! But I knew that I couldn’t.
“It is too late for them. They have turned their backs on God, and now they are paying the price for it. Come, let us go to the living quarters.” Noah said, with much sorrow in his voice.
I continued to watch through the window as the flood grew. By the end of the end of the second hour, the flood had risen above the trees and the screams for help had quieted to soft cries. By the end of the fifth hour, the flood had risen almost halfway up the mountains and the cries had stopped all together. “I guess their all dead now.” I thought to myself. Finally, by the end of the day, the flood waters had risen above the mountains and I could no longer see any landmarks, mountains or otherwise, except for all the water.
I decided that I’d leave the following morning. I couldn’t take any more of this sadness, and I’m sure no one would notice that I was gone. “They’ll probably just think that I sneaked out with all the animals once the ark lands. And they surely won’t need my help during the next forty days and nights. After all, in the story they did everything fine by themselves. I’ll stay one night just to see what it was like, and then I’ll leave tomorrow morning before any of them wake up.” I thought.
“Adam, come join us for supper.” Ham called to me. “You’ve been staring out that window forever. There’s nothing any of us can do for any of those people, so you might as well join us; they’ve paid the price for rejecting God’s warning.”
I turned around and took my time getting over to the table. As I sat down, I was deep in thought. It was so sad that these people had to die. “Noah,” I asked, “I know that all of those people were trapped in their sins, but why did they have to die?”
“Adam, what I’m about to say is very important so please listen to me. Those people were committing such atrocious sins that it angered God, causing him to wipe them out with this flood. The wages for sin have always been death; they just learned it the hard way. But the good news is if we turn away from sin and try to live a life that is pleasing to God, he will bless us with more than we could ever imagine.”
“Thank you, Noah. Your words are a great encouragement to me and have lifted a weight off my shoulders.” I said.
Just as we finished talking, Noah’s wife came out with a delicious-smelling meal. When I saw it, however, my heart sank. It was steamed vegetables! “It’s times like this that I wish God had given man permission to eat meat before the flood.” I thought with disappointment.
After the meal was over, we all went to our separate sleeping areas and went to bed. I had drunk plenty of water during the meal to make sure that I would wake up early in the morning for my discrete exit. As I drifted off to sleep, Noah’s words to me echoed in my head, “…if we turn away from sin and try to live a life that is pleasing to God, he will bless us with more than he could ever imagine…”
When I awoke, it was still raining outside. “Duh!” I thought. “They’ve still got thirty-nine more days and nights to go.”
I went downstairs so as not to disturb anyone with the bright light the device was going to create. Looking around, I found a small corner between a few bales of hay that seemed to be as discreet a place as any to make my exit.
I took the time displacement device from out of my pocket. I thought about the next Bible story that I wanted to visit, and I decided on the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. I pointed the device toward the corner, typed in L-O-T (the name of the main character in that story), and pressed “activate”. I prepared myself for what I might see on the other side, and then I stepped through the portal.

Chapter #4: Sodom And Gomorrah
As I came out the other side of the portal, I noticed that I was in an alley off of a busy marketplace. After I waited around to make sure the portal closed, I walked into the hustle and bustle of the crowd.
It was nighttime, and the stars were out. Without all the ambient light from a city, these stars really showed. As I was looking up at the stars, I could’ve sworn I saw one flash an angry red color, but I quickly dismissed it as my imagination. “This city doesn’t seem so bad.” I thought to myself. “I wonder why God made such a big deal about it.”
That’s when I saw the signs. “Are you a weary traveler looking for love? Then come in here and all your dreams will come true!” one sign read above an inn that appeared as if it was rented out by the hour. “Whether you like women… or even men... Sodom is the place for you!” read another sign. As I continued to walk through the town square, I saw many signs that had stuff on them just like these signs. “Wow. Now I know why God got rid of this place.” I thought.
I headed toward the main gates and decided to go for a walk to visit Gomorrah. I had barely gotten outside the gate when I was stopped by two men. “Sir, where are you going?” one of them asked.
“I’m walking to Gomorrah to visit it.” I said. I knew that they were both very evil cities, but I wanted to see which one of the cities was worse before God destroyed it.
“Come with us.” they both said in unison. Normally, I wouldn’t follow orders from complete strangers, but something told me I could trust these men. I decided to follow them.
Once we were back inside the main gate, we were greeted by a middle-aged man. “I’ve been waiting for you, come with me to my house and rest. You can wash your feet there.” The man said.
“No, that’s okay, Lot. We’ll be more than content to sleep in the city square.” the men replied.
“I insist! You must come to stay with me. This city is not safe, and you will be in danger if you sleep out in the open.” Lot countered.
Finally, both of the men agreed to follow him. Once we arrived at Lot’s college and went inside, Lot closed and locked the door. “Now that you’re here please rest your feet.” He said.
Lot then went into the kitchen to prepare some food. When he came back out, he, his wife, and his two daughters were carrying many plates full of delicious-looking food.
Once the table was set, we all sat down and enjoyed a very good meal. “This is some of the most delicious food I’ve ever tasted!” I exclaimed.
“Thank you for the compliment; I appreciate your kind words.” Lot replied.
After we were all done eating, we prepared to go to bed. As we were pulling out mattresses we were to sleep on, we heard a crowd gathering outside the door.
“Hold on a minute, I’ll take care of whoever it is.” Lot said as he walked toward the door. He opened the door, and over his shoulder I could see an angry looking crowd outside. I knew eavesdropping was bad, but I couldn’t resist, so I tip-toed over to the window to listen.
“Where are the men who came to spend the night with you? Bring them out here so we can have sex with them.” One of the men, that appeared to be their leader, said.
Right away, I could tell this was going to get pretty ugly.
“Please, my brothers,” Lot begged, “don’t do such a wicked thing. I have two virgin daughters. Do with them as you wish, but leave these men alone, for they are under my protection.”
“Wow,” I thought, “these men must be pretty important to Lot if he offered up his daughters’ virginity as an alternative to the men. These must be the angels!”
“Stand back!” their leader shouted, “Who do you think you are? We let you settle among us, and now you are trying to tell us what to do! We’ll treat you far worse than those men!” Then the leader, along with the rest of the crowd, started trying to push Lot out of the way so they could break down the door.
All of the sudden both of the angels got up, went to the door, and flung it open. They grabbed Lot and pulled him inside. Then, once Lot was inside, they closed and bolted the door. That’s when I finally saw the angels in all of their glory. It was as if the two men had disappeared completely, and in their place stood two of the most magnificent beings I had ever seen. Their golden hair was as smooth looking as a jar of fresh whipped cream, and they worn flowing white robes that stopped at their ankles. I could also see the outline of swords under their robes. One of the angels then pointed at the door, and instantly I heard a great cry rise from the crowd outside.
“My eyes! I can’t see!” one man screamed.
“Where am I?! I’m blind!” another man yelled.
Then one of the angels turned to Lot. “Do you have any other relatives here in the city?” the angel asked. “Get them out of this place whether they’re sons-in-law, sons, daughters, or anyone else. For we will destroy this city completely. The stench of this place has reached the Lord, and he has sent us to destroy it.”
“I must go warn my daughters’ fiancées!” Lot yelled as he ran out the door.
Then one of the angels turned to me. “There is nothing you can do. Go to bed, we will wake you up in the morning when it is time to leave this evil city.” The angel said.
“The angels have a good point.” I thought. So, having nothing else to do, I laid down on the mattress Lot had given me, and I soon fell asleep.
Wake up, it’s time to leave.” One of the angels said as it softly nudged me in the shoulder.
I awoke to the sound of people running around; Lot, his wife, as well as his two daughters were preparing to leave. I saw them running around the house packing sacks full of food and other items such as clothes and personal items that had sentimental value to them.
“Hurry,” the angels said in a very insistent tone. “Take your wife and your two daughters who are here. Get out of here right now, or you will be caught in the destruction of the city.”
“Where are your daughters’ fiancées?” I asked Lot.
“Sadly, they wouldn’t believe me when I told them about the coming destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. It’s a pity that they’re going to perish in the destruction; they were really nice men.” Lot replied with a mix of disappointment and sadness.
Once everyone had gotten everything together, the two angels hurried us out the door and toward the city gate. As we were nearing the gate, I heard a huge explosion right above my head. I instinctively jumped backward, only to see a flaming chunk of rock that was the size of an SUV crash through the overhang of a roof and land where I had been only moments before! “God sure is looking out for me on this trip.” I thought to myself. It wasn’t then until I realized the worst part of this meteor… it had trapped me into a corner; there was no way to get around it! “Talk about being trapped between a rock and a hard place.” I muttered to myself, trying to make light of my situation.
As everyone was leaving through the main gate, Lot noticed my predicament and ran back to try and rescue me. One of the angels shouted after him, “Don’t Worry. He’ll be okay.”
“How could he possibly be okay?! He may be only seconds from being crushed by one of these flaming rocks!” Lot yelled in desperation.
“Don’t worry, Lot. The angels are right, I’ll be okay.” I said as calmly as I could under the circumstances.
Lot got a confused look on his face, as if he had just seen something happen that he couldn’t explain, but that confused look soon changed to a look of realization. To me, this new look on his face was the same type of look someone gets on their face when they’ve just realized the punch line to a joke. Waving goodbye, Lot and his family, as well as the angels, walked out the main gate and into the dark wilderness.
Once they were out of sight, I took out the time displacement device and pointed it at what was left of the wall behind me.
After thinking about where to travel next for a minute, I carefully typed in the letters M-O-S-E-S and pressed “activate”. Just as I was about to step through the portal, I heard another explosion above me and noticed another meteor that was going to fall right on top of me (I knew I shouldn’t have skipped that eye exam appointment last week). Unfortunately when it did, I got hit by a wave of searing heat and debris from the rock, causing me to pass out from the pain. The last thing I remembered before succumbing to unconsciousness was losing my balance and falling backward through the portal.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:34 am 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

(Now I'm me again!)

Wow, how interesting! \:D/ It's almost like the Imagination Station, but more unusual, since it doesn't bring you face-to-face with God! You better hope that nobody ever wants to make a movie version. ;)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:54 am 
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend
I just spent entirely too long looking through my old posts. o.o

Cash: 0.00
Bank: 592.70
Blog: View Blog (8)
Catspaw wrote:
(Now I'm me again!)

Wow, how interesting! \:D/ It's almost like the Imagination Station, but more unusual, since it doesn't bring you face-to-face with God! You better hope that nobody ever wants to make a movie version. ;)

Why? It would make an AWESOME movie. But altogether it's an AWESOME AWESOME story too!

Image Image

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:59 am 
The Council must persist

Candy Loveperson wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
(Now I'm me again!)

Why? It would make an AWESOME movie. But altogether it's an AWESOME AWESOME story too!

Yeah! I would go see it if it were a movie! Its a good story! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:01 pm 
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

I'm almost done with the next few chapters, which will be a 3-parter on Moses. I'm debating whether to wait and post all 3 chapters at once... or post them one at a time and keep you in suspense :D .

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:11 pm 
The Council must persist

Suspense is always fun! :detective:

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:40 pm 
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Yes, but all three chapters at once will be more fun!

Image Image

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject: Chapter #5!
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:55 pm 
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Chapter #5: Moses (Part #1)
I awoke in a pile of hay. Even though I was still really dizzy, partly from my near miss with the meteor and partly from the face that this place I was in smelled very strongly of manure, I got up and looked around. All I saw were empty horse stalls and what appeared to be a pile of rotten horse feed in the corner. “I must be in a barn.” I thought. I could hear a faint sound coming from beyond the closed barn door… was that screaming I heard?
BAM! The door to the barn flew open with such force that it almost shattered when it hit the wall. An Egyptian soldier with forceps the as thick as tree trunks stood in the doorway. He was holding what appeared to be some sort of spear and he looked extremely mad.
“Are there any children in here?!” he yelled. As he asked me this, he jabbed his spear in my direction, as if to tell me what my punishment would be for lying to him.
“No, there aren’t any children in here, I promise.” I said in a slightly nervous tone, hoping that he would believe me and not decide to impale me with his spear just for the heck of it.
After staring at me for a few seconds as if to determine whether or not I was telling the truth, he stormed back out into the street. I waited a few minutes to make sure I wouldn’t run into him again, then I went out the door and prepared myself to see what my subconscious was telling me was out there but what I hoped to God wasn’t.
Sadly, it was exactly what I had thought was out there. I could hear screaming everywhere, and I could see women fleeing from a group of armed Egyptian soldiers. I was rendered speechless as I witnessed a Egyptian soldier cut a baby in two as if it were a side of beef (and if that weren’t enough, some of the babies were still in the mother’s arms!). I could also hear screaming coming from inside almost every house where Egyptian soldiers were undoubtedly killing more innocent babies. “And I thought not interfering in Adam’s sin was tough.” Words could not explain the horror I was witnessing. I could see mothers screaming in terror as they watched their children get slaughtered right in front of their eyes.
As I stepped outside, my feet slipped into a puddle of what I thought was mud. “O great!” I thought. “This is just what I need. Washing machines won’t be invented for almost 4,000 years and here I am with dirty pants.”
It was only after looking down did I realize that I wasn’t standing in water… I was standing in the blood of innocent newborn babies!
You know where it says in the Bible when faced with temptation to flee from it (as opposed to standing your ground and fighting it)? Well, I was pretty tempted to interfere in this massacre, even if it meant my death, so I ran as fast as I could. I didn’t really decide where I wanted to run; I just kept running until my legs couldn’t carry me any further. After falling to the ground from exhaustion, I looked up and realized I had arrived at the banks of the Nile River.
My face was burning with anger, so I splashed it with water in the hopes of cooling down (both physically and mentally). As I was knelt by the riverside, I heard someone approaching. I quickly ducked into a nearby patch of reeds, so as not to be seen.
Through the reeds, I saw a woman approaching carrying a straw basket.
“Moses!” I mentally exclaimed.
“Here we go, my darling.” The mother said to baby Moses. It was clear even from this distance (about 10 feet) that tears were starting to form in her eyes. “Now listen, you may not be able to understand me but this is important. I don’t know what is going to happen to you, but I do know God must have a wonderful plan for your life to have spared you from that massacre. Even though I’ll miss you dearly, God needs you more than I do. Just remember that above all, mommy loves you!” She choked out the last sentence, barely able to say it aloud. As she placed the basket in the river she stopped short, almost as if she were considering forsaking God and keeping Moses. Then, realizing that the baby would almost surely get murdered if she kept it (I could tell that she thought this by the look on her face), she placed it in the water and shoved it as hard as she could into the middle of the river, as if she were afraid she would try to take the basket back (and she probably would have). I watched, with tears flowing from my eyes and a lump in my throat, as Moses’ mother walked back toward the little village where she was living with her family. She looked as if her world had just ended.
“God,” I prayed. “I know that this is all in the past for me. Just the same, I would like to pray for her.” I said, looking toward Moses’ mother. “Just be with her, comfort her, and help her to realize that although she may have wanted to keep the baby, she’s doing your will and that’s more important than anything else. Also, I know that she will eventually be reunited with him, and I don’t expect you to reveal the future to her, but please help her to not worry and to trust in you until she is reunited with him.”
Since this part of Moses’ story was over, I decided to skip forward a little in time. Taking out the time displacement device, I thought for a minute.
“Thirty years ought to do it.” I thought.
I punched in thirty and pressed “activate”. The swirling mass of light appeared before me and I stepped through it, wondering what I would be greeted with on the other side.
When I arrived on the other side of the portal, I was a little shocked. I had expected to be in some sort of village, but instead I was in the middle of the desert. Fortunately, I didn’t have to wait long before I found someone. In the distance, I could see what appeared to be a caravan approaching.
“Hey! Please help me, I’m lost!” I shouted toward the caravan, hoping that it would hear me.
When they had gotten within speaking distance, I asked, “Can you please help me? I’m trying to get back to Cairo.”
“Look! It’s a runaway slave. You’re not going anywhere but back to work.” the leader of the caravan shouted at me. By the way he was dressed and the hint of arrogance in his voice, I guessed that he must be the head slave driver (and I was later proven right). He was wearing a sand-blasted white tunic and he was carrying a whip in his right hand. As for his skin, it was so dirty that if he’d lay down naked in the desert he’d probably blend right in with the sand. “Put this around your waist!” he said, throwing a coil of rope at me. Once I had tied it around my waist, he tied the other end to one of the bags on his camel, so I was forced to either keep up with him or be dragged in the scorching sand on the long trek back to Cairo.
When we arrived at Cairo it was a beautiful starlit night. Once we got to the palace, I was quickly ushered into the slave quarters by the slave driver. As I was walking, I tripped on a stray stone that had been on the ground and fell flat on my face.
“You, slave! Bring that thing over here!” the slave driver said, gesturing at something next to me on the ground.
It was not until I turned my head in the direction he was pointing that I realized what he was talking about… the time displacement device had fallen out of my pocket and was lying in the sand right next to me!
“Are you deaf?! Bring it over here at once!” the slave driver screamed, even louder than before. I reluctantly handed it to him, afraid that if I didn’t I would be killed by this tyrant. After examining it for a few minutes with a look on his face as if he knew what it was (which just shows how stupid he really was), he stuffed it in his pocket. “Go inside and get to bed. You have a very long day tomorrow.” He said in a slightly sarcastic tone, as if he had unforeseen plans for me.
I walked inside the slave quarters and found a mattress to sleep on. Not only was it the only one left, but it also was harder than Ronald McDonald’s arteries.
“Oh no!” I thought in desperation. “What am I going to do now? Without the time displacement device, I’ll never be able to go home.” I had always been taught in times of trouble to pray to God for guidance, so I took the opportunity to do that right now. “Lord, please help me.” I cried. “I’m really scared. I don’t want to be stuck here forever. I don’t know how I’ll get home now, but I have faith that you are doing the right thing for me. Please give me inner peace, Lord. If not for the rest of my stay here, at least enough so I can fall asleep tonight.”
Exhausted, I fell onto my mattress. Although it was as hard as a rock (and I wouldn’t be surprised if I found rocks inside it), I was so tired that it felt like one of the most comfortable mattresses in the world. After worrying for another hour or so about what to do, I decided that worrying wouldn’t do me any good at this point. I tried thinking happy thoughts (like getting home!), and a few minutes later I finally drifted off to sleep.
When I woke up it was still dark. I figured that I had just woken up earlier than everyone else, so I decided to go back to sleep. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the chance to.
“Wake up! You have five minutes to get outside and form a single line or else you’ll be fed to the Lions!” screamed a soldier as he burst in the slave quarters.
You could hear moaning, grumbling, and people cursing under their breath as all of the slaves got up and went outside, preparing for work. They didn’t dare test the patience of this soldier, so they got outside as fast as possible. Once everyone had formed a line, the soldier began to speak.
“Today you will be working on a statue that will be built in front of pharaoh’s palace. This is no ordinary statue, mind you. This is a statue representing the Pharaoh himself.” He said, as if it were the most important thing in existence. “Since it must be at least as tall as his palace, you will have a lot of work to get done today.” he chuckled.
“This is just wonderful.” I heard the slave next to me grumble to himself in a sarcastic tone.
“What was that, Jew!?” The slave master yelled.
The slave looked the other way to avoid eye contact with him, but it was too late; he had attracted the soldier’s attention.
“I know exactly what to do with scum like you.” The soldier said in a menacing tone as he walked toward the slave and grabbed him by the neck.
“Please,” the slave managed to choke out even though the soldier’s fist was clenched tightly around his neck “forgive me!”
The soldier didn’t say anything in response, all he did was tie a rope around the slaves neck after which he called for a chariot.
When the chariot pulled up next to the soldier, the driver of it asked, “What is your command?”
“Take this slave to the Lion pit and throw him in. If he can’t learn to respect those that are superior to him, then he doesn’t deserve to live.” the soldier said while looking directly in the slave’s eyes with an evil sneer on his face. The slave looked so afraid that you’d think he was looking into the face of Satan himself.
The slave, with his head bowed, started to get on the chariot realizing that he would be riding to his demise.
“Not so fast! Do you think I would allow you the luxury of riding in an Egyptian chariot?! What ever made you think you were worthy of such a privilege. You, unfortunately, will be riding… on the back.” The soldier said menacingly. Giving the slave one last evil look, he tied the other end of the rope to the underside of the chariot. “Drive as fast as you can.” He instructed the driver.
The driver immediately sped off as if someone had lit his pants on fire. The faster he went, the more you could hear the slave screaming. The way he was screaming, one might think he was being skinned alive (and that’s exactly what the sand was doing to him). Even after the chariot had gone out of site, the horrifying screams of the slave were still echoing in my head.
“Does anyone else have anything to say?” the soldier asked with a slight grin on his face. “No? Okay, then. All of you get to work before I decide to have the rest of you killed as well!” he shouted, pointing toward the Pharaoh’s palace.
None of us wanted to suffer the fate of that poor slave, so we started toward the palace and didn’t stop until we had gotten to the site on which the statue would be built. Even though it was only a mile walk to the Pharaoh’s palace, it seemed like much more than that. Finally, after the tiring walk and dying of thirst, we arrived at our destination.
I learned a lot about hard labor that day. If I had ever thought anything was hard in the past, those memories were all but erased by being forced to help build this statue. Not only were all of us forced to do this work, but we were also under constant watch by the head slave driver. The look with which he was watching everyone seemed to say that he had some terrible, unnamed punishment awaiting for anyone who made a mistake while working on the statue. Around noon, though, some of the other slaves started to falter in their work. It started with small things at first, like people tripping over themselves. But all too soon it graduated to people collapsing from exhaustion. For some reason one of the slaves, an old man that had to be at least eighty-years-old, caught the eye of the head slave driver when he fell to the ground.
“Hey! Get back to work before I break your legs making it so you can’t ever walk again.” the slave driver yelled. When he saw the man continue to lie on the ground, the head slave driver walked over to him and got right in his face. “So you don’t want to work?! Maybe this will change your mind.”
From his belt I saw the head slave driver take a scourge. This thing had to be one of the most painful-looking weapons I had ever seen. Picture yourself looking at a whip. Then, instead of their being one long whip, picture nine of them sticking out of the handle. And on top of that, picture stainless steel balls (about the size of a golf ball) as well as pieces of jagged metal woven throughout the whip. The steel balls would severely bruise a person’s skin and break their bones, making it easier for the pieces of jagged metal to tear out huge chunks of your flesh. This, by the way, was done after they had stripped you completely naked to add more embarrassment to the beating (although they didn’t make the old man take off his clothes, this in no way mitigated the pain that was about to be inflicted on him).
“Please spare me! I’m not even worthy for you to waste your strength on me. I’m just a poor old man near the end of his life.” The old man said in a desperate yet futile attempt to save himself from the horrific pain the scourge was sure to inflict.
“Now you’re going to be sorry.” the head slave driver said as he raised the scourge and brought it down on the old man’s back.
“AAAHHH!!!” the old man screamed as the scourge ripped into his flesh. The head slave driver had hit him with such force that blood and bits of flesh and spattered on his face. Just as he was raising the scourge for another blow to the old man, a strange-looking man with a wooden staff in his hand came up to the head slave driver.
The head slave driver was so involved with beating the old man that he hadn’t noticed the mysterious-looking stranger that had come up behind him. He didn’t notice, that is, until this mysterious stranger planted a solid blow to the back of his head with his wooden staff. Prior to the blow, however, the stranger had looked to his left and his right, as if looking to see if anyone would witness him attacking the head slave driver. I’ll never forget the sound that staff made when it made contact with the back of the head slave driver’s skull. As it did, it sounded like a baseball player hitting a homerun. When the slave driver fell to the ground, he had a blank, unfocused expression on his face that could only mean one thing… he was dead.
Seizing the opportunity, and hoping that he still had it with him, I dived into his pockets looking for the time displacement device. Fortunately, he still had it in his pocket. I took it and placed it in my right pocket. This little incident had caused me enough stress by having to worry how I’d get home, and I absolutely did not want to go through it again.
After looking around once more to make sure there were no Egyptian soldiers around, the stranger grabbed a shovel out of the hands of one of the slaves and started to dig. Once the hole was deep enough, he through the lifeless body of the head slave driver in it then proceeded to bury him. When he was finished, he went back over to where the old man was still laying.
“Thank you so much!” the old man exclaimed. Even though you could tell by the look on his face that he was still in a great amount of pain from getting beaten with the scourge, his joy at getting saved from the brink of death overshadowed the pain he was feeling. “What is your name?” the old man asked.
When the stranger replied, I couldn’t believe what I heard. “My name is Moses,” the man said, “and I have come to release you from your service to Pharaoh.” He then shifted his attention from the old man to all of the slaves and continued to speak. “God has sent me to take you away from Pharaoh. You have been slaves to the Egyptians for far too long, and now it is time that you are released from bondage.”
As Moses finished that sentence, you could hear a cheer of pure joy rise up from the crowd of slaves. “Could it really be?” some might have thought.
As if to answer their thoughts, Moses turned around and walked straight into Pharaoh’s palace as if he owned the place. Walking as quietly as I could, I followed close behind Moses. I could hardly contain my excitement in anticipation for the miracles I was about to see performed.
Once Moses arrived in the throne room, I could see who I assumed to be his brother Aaron waiting for him. There were banners interwoven with gold draped around the room. The Pharaoh himself was wearing a headdress made completely out of gold and various precious jewels (i.e. rubies, emeralds, sapphires, etc.).
“Pharaoh, my Lord has told me that he wants his people, the Hebrews, let go. Will you allow us to leave so that we may worship the Lord freely?” Moses asked.
“No. You and your people are far too valuable to the Egyptian people. Your labor is what builds our houses, cooks our food, and tends to our crops. I will never let any of the Hebrews leave.”
“Then behold this sign that will show you that you aren’t the one who is in charge around here!” Moses yelled as his brother Aaron threw his staff on the ground.
As soon as Aaron’s staff touched the ground, it began to change very rapidly. At first it became soft, as if it had been soaking in water for a day or two. Next, the wood itself began to take on a scaly appearance. Finally, to my surprise, a huge forked tongue shot out of the knot at the head of the staff, just as two smaller knots turned into eyes and the transformation was complete. Aaron’s staff was no more… it was a huge King Cobra!
Pharaoh looked very unimpressed with this “trick” (as he called it). He casually motioned to his three court magicians with his hand commanding them to come forward and throw their staffs on the ground. As they did, their staffs turned into King Cobras as well. Although the magician’s Cobras and Aaron’s Cobra looked the same, there were some very subtle differences; I couldn’t quite put my finger on what they were, though. I soon, however, found out why I thought there were differences.
With a terrifying hiss, Aaron’s Cobra lunged at the other three Cobras. Before you could even blink an eye, Aaron’s Cobra had injected the other Cobras with its venom and had swallowed them whole. The Cobra then turned and gazed at Pharaoh, as if to say, “Hah! What do you say to that, Pharaoh?!”
After staring at Pharaoh for a few more seconds, the Cobra slithered back over to Aaron’s feet. Aaron reached down and picked up the Cobra by its head. The transformation was so quick, that by the time Aaron had stood back up the Cobra was once again a wooden staff.
“That was just a cheap trick, not even worthy of applause. I still refuse to let your people go. You might as well go home because you will never change my mind.” said Pharaoh.
Feeling slightly let down, I followed Moses and Aaron out of the palace and back to the slave quarters. Even though I knew that Moses was going to prevail against Pharaoh, I still couldn’t help but feel as if God was sitting this one out (despite the miracle I had just seen). If God wanted his people to go free, then he wouldn’t even have to ask for Pharaoh’s permission, right? Feeling alone with my thoughts, I went to bed and shortly thereafter fell asleep.
I was woken up the next morning by the door to the house I was sleeping in being slammed shut. Even though I was still partially asleep, I got up and went to the window to see who it was that left. As I looked out the window, I saw Moses and Aaron walking toward the section of the Nile where the Pharaoh bathed. Hurrying as fast as I could, I got dressed and ran out the door after them.
As I arrived at the banks of the Nile, I could already hear Moses having a conversation with Pharaoh.
“The Lord, the God of the Hebrews, has sent me to say, “Let my people go, so they can worship me in the wilderness.” Moses was saying. “Until now, you have refused to listen to him. Now the Lord says, “You are going to find out that I am the Lord.” Look! I will hit the water of the Nile with this staff, and the river will turn to blood. The fish in it will die, and the river will stink. The Egyptians will not be able to drink any water from the Nile.”
As Moses finished speaking, Aaron raised his staff with both hands and brought it down on the water in the Nile as if he were chopping a log of wood. Immediately, a dark red color began to seep from the point of impact as if the staff were leaking red dye. That’s probably what most people would have believed, except for the fact that the redness continued to spread further than it would have if it were just red dye. It wasn’t long before the entire river had turned blood-red. I could see dead fish floating down the river and piling up along the banks of the river, contributing to the already horrendous stench. The stench coming from the river was almost unbearable. It smelled as if there were thousands of bodies lying dead and rotting along the banks of the Nile.
Once I had eventually overcome the smell of the river, I was greeted by something else; the sound of coughing and spitting. I turned around to see the Pharaoh and all of his friends that had joined him at the river this morning spitting up blood on the ground. At first glance, it would have looked as if they had all gotten into a big fist fight. But on second glance, I noticed that all the cups that had only been moments before filled with water were now filled with blood.
Overcome with a feeling of nausea, I ran back to the slave quarters. No sooner had I gotten there then I bent over and vomited. This was no ordinary vomit, mind you. I was puking with such force that I felt as if I was puking out all of my internal organs. If the smell of the river had done this to me, I thought, I could only imagine what Pharaoh and his friends were going through right now.
Once I was finished puking, I was so exhausted that I fell in my bed and drifted off to sleep. I awoke a few hours later; I looked around and noticed that all of the slaves had come inside for the remainder of the day. “I guess the Pharaoh was too busy vomiting to boss anyone around today.” I chuckled to myself.
“Hmm…” I thought. “If my memory serves me correctly, I think I have around a week until the next miracle is supposed to happen, so I think I’ll skip forward a little.”
Taking out the time displacement device, I typed in the number “1” and the letters “W-E-E-K”, and pressed the “fast-forward” and “activate” button simultaneously. I quickly entered the portal, hoping that I’d come out the other side and not have anyone see me. Fortunately for me, no one was around to see me coming out of the portal. It was dusk, and all of the slaves would be back any minute now from their work day, so I quickly found my bed and went back to sleep.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Chapter #6!
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:34 am 
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Chapter #6: Moses (Part #2)
When I awoke I could see the sun just as it was rising above the Egyptian landscape. It didn’t take me long once I was awake, however, to realize that something was terribly wrong. “My bed shouldn’t feel slimy.” I thought.
When I threw back the covers, I got one of the biggest surprises of my life.
“Croak!” went the frog sitting under my covers.
As I jumped out of my bed and looked around the room, I was greeted by a chorus of croaking frogs. Screams filled the air as the slaves started waking up and the women slaves jumped around trying to get away from the frogs while the men slaves ran around trying to kill them.
“I can’t believe I missed it! I’ll have to keep a closer eye on where Moses and Aaron are.” I muttered under my breath.
Trying to escape the frogs, I ran outside. This, unfortunately, was an even worse decision. If I didn’t know that I was in Egypt, I would swear that I was in some sort of jungle. For as far as I could see, frogs covered the entire landscape. I could see hundreds of them hopping out of the Nile and I could also see countless numbers of people running out of their houses try to shake the frogs from their clothing.
The croaking of the frogs was almost deafening. If it were only a couple hundred frogs it would be annoying, but not unbearable. This, on the other hand, was worse than a heavy metal rock concert. There had to be millions, if not billions, of frogs all over the place! Having no where to go, I tried to avoid stepping on frogs as I made my way to Pharaoh’s palace.
Just as I got to the entrance, I saw Moses and Aaron calmly walking toward me from inside the palace. Since I didn’t want to be seen by them, I ducked behind an especially large mound of frogs right next to the entrance.
As Moses was walking out, I thought I heard him mumble almost inaudibly, “Lord, please end this plague.”
Not even a second after he said that, the croaking stopped (except for some croaking that was still coming from the direction of the Nile). “What are the odds that all of these frogs would simultaneously drop dead for no apparent reason?!” I wondered. The only explanation, I realized, was that God heard the prayer that Moses had just prayed and destroyed the plague of frogs.
As I saw Moses and Aaron walking back toward the slave quarters, I heard Aaron say to Moses, “Well brother, it looks like we have a lot of work to do.”
Nothing could have been closer to the truth. Instead of working on the Pharaoh’s statue that day as had been planned, we were ordered to collect all of the frogs. This, mind you, was no easy task. Even though there were a great number of slaves, there had to be at least one-hundred times as many frogs. Finally, after a long day of shoveling, we had collected all of the frogs and piled them right next to the Nile. The pile of frogs went so far up into the sky that it actually made me wonder if the tower of Babel could have been made out of frogs. “Where did that thought come from?!” I thought to myself in puzzlement.
As I watched, one of the Egyptian soldiers strode up to the pile of frogs carrying a lit torch, and without breaking stride, he pitched the torch as far up into the air as he could. When the torch landed, it had imbedded itself about halfway up the pile of dead frogs; and almost immediately the dead frogs caught fire.
If I had thought the stench of the water turning to blood was bad, the smell of billions of frogs burning made me think twice. “Now I know what those guys go through that have to shovel roadkill off the highways.” I thought.
After watching the frogs burn for a few more minutes, I walked back to the slave quarters to have what the other slaves called “lunch”, but what I called “roadkill”. If I didn’t know any better, I would swear that the Pharaoh was trying to feed us some of the frogs, that way he wouldn’t have to give us “real” food.
After lunch, I avoided the soldiers as they rounded up all of the slaves so they could continue their day of hard labor; instead, I decided to follow Moses and Aaron around. After they had finished a few conversations they had been having with some of the slaves, they went back outside and went to see the semi-finished statue of Pharaoh.
“You’re doing good work. But I hope you don’t think you can slack off because of that!” I heard Pharaoh say to the slaves as Moses and Aaron arrived at the statue.
“Pharaoh! You have oppressed my people for far too long. Once again, I ask you to let them go; my God demands it.” Moses said to Pharaoh.
“Who does your God think he is ordering me around?!” Pharaoh yelled. “Those other “plagues” as you call them were pure coincidence. If your God really is all powerful, let him prove it to me. Otherwise I will never let your people go.”
“Very well, if that is what you wish.” Aaron said, as he raise his staff in the air and slammed in down into the sand as far as he could. When his staff hit the sand, instead of it making a tiny cloud of dust like it normally would, it created a cloud of dust so big that it eventually enveloped Pharaoh, his servants, and his soldiers. Unlike most dust clouds however, is seemed to make a distinction between Pharaoh and the Israelite slaves; it didn’t go anywhere near the slaves.
All of the sudden, I started to hear a faint but continually increasing sound that sounding like a swarm of buzzing insects coming from the depths of the cloud of dust. To my amazement, I watched as the cloud of dust slowly but surely transformed into a cloud of horse flies! Then, as if there was an explosion inside the cloud of flies, they all burst outward and proceeded to cover the entire landscape at a terrifying speed. As quickly as I could, I ducked under a nearby shrub to protect myself from getting caught by the flies.
As I turned to watch through the branches of the shrub, the first thing I noticed was that the flies weren’t going anywhere near any of the Israelite slaves. It was as if there was some sort of protective dome covering them; the flies flew either around or over them.
The Egyptians, however, weren’t so lucky. I could see the women running around trying to shake the flies out of their hair. I saw the men trying to stop them from ruining their crops. I saw the children just sitting on the ground crying as the flies crawled all over them like ants on sugar. And as for the livestock, they were going crazy. I could see the horses and donkeys trying in vain to kick the flies away with their hooves.
“Moses!” I heard Pharaoh’s agitated voice echo from inside his palace. Trying to avoid the flies, I got out from the safety of the shrub and ran into the palace, making my way to the throne room.
“As soon as I go,” I heard Moses saying to Pharaoh, “I will ask the Lord to cause the swarms of flies to disappear from you and all your people. But I am warning you, don’t change your mind again and refuse to let the people go to sacrifice to the Lord.” After he finished speaking, I followed Moses and Aaron as they exited Pharaoh’s throne room and went back outside. Since I was staying a few yards behind them so as not to be seen by them, I wasn’t able to hear when Moses prayed, but I did see him bow his head.
Instantly, as if a blinder had been lifted from Egypt’s landscape… all the flies disappeared! They didn’t slowly go away as some might think; they actually disappeared in the blink of an eye.
“Okay,” I thought to myself, “I remember from my Bible classes at school that the next plagues were the livestock plague, boils and sores, hail, locusts, and darkness. I know I’d love to see those plagues… but do I really want to be amongst them when they are happening?”
After carefully debating the issue in my head, I finally decided to skip forward again. I realized that I would miss out on the other plagues, but I didn’t want to risk getting anything like boils and sores or getting killed by a piece of hail that was more than likely going to be the size of a basketball. I figured that I had about five weeks (one week for each plague) before the death of all of the first-born Egyptians, so I whipped out the time displacement device, typed in 3-W-E-E-K-S, and pressed the “fast-forward” and “activate” button simultaneously. Going as quickly as I could so as not to be seen by anyone, I went through the portal.
“I hope I didn’t overestimate how long I have.” I thought almost too late, as I came out the other side of the portal.
As I stepped out of the portal, I noticed that it was night time. When I looked up in the sky, I saw that the stars were twinkling brightly, almost as if they were anticipating something. I turned around and started to head into the slave quarters, but what I saw nearly made my heart drop out of my chest.
There was blood all over the doors! For a second, I thought I was in one of those cheesy horror movies. After pausing to think, I realized that this was the blood the Hebrews had to paint over their doorposts to keep away the angel of death. I frantically tried opening the door so I wouldn’t get caught in the middle of God’s wrath, but the door was bolted shut! “Oh no! What am I going to do?!” I thought in desperation.
“Open the door!” I screamed. “I’m one of you guys. I realize that the Lord is coming to wipe out all the first-born in the nation of Egypt, and I’m the first born of my family. Please don’t let me die!”
A few seconds later, I heard a heavy wooden crossbeam being lifted from the other side of the door. The door opened, and I was greeted by the warm faces of none other than Moses and Aaron. “Please, come in. From the way you were talking we realize that you are not meant to be among the Egyptians that will die in this plague.” Moses said calmly to me.
As I walked inside the slave quarters, I noticed that a fire had been started to keep everyone warm.
I proceeded to sit down and enjoy a delicious dinner with the rest of the slaves. When the covers were lifted off of the pots, my nose was greeted by the pleasant smell of what smelled like beef stew.
“This is the same savory stew recipe that Esau made for Jacob. Eat up; it’s delicious!” Aaron said. I could tell by the way he said that that he could hardly wait to start eating.
“Would you like to pray for the meal?” Moses asked me.
“Sure.” I replied. I sat down cross-legged on the floor in front of the table and began to pray. “Dear Lord, please bless the food we are about to eat. I know that we don’t always get food this tasty, but please don’t let us take this food for granted. Help us all to remember that food is a gift from you and not something that we deserve. I also pray for Pharaoh. Let the death of his first born be a wake-up call to him and work in his heart to let the Hebrew people go. I pray all of these things in your name, Amen.”
After I heard everyone else mumble Amen, we started on our meal.
“I’m curious,” Aaron asked, “how do you know that Pharaoh’s son is going to die? Surely only God knows when people will die, right?”
This time, my heart really did almost stop. I had been caught! There was no way I could possibly know that unless I was from the future… which I was. How would I ever explain that to Aaron? Trying as best as I could to cover my tracks, I said, “You said all of the first-born will die, right? I just assumed that since the Pharaoh only has one son that he would die. Was I mistaken?” To tell you the truth, I didn’t even know if the Pharaoh only had one son or not. I was just hoping that assumption would be right.
“Yes, you are right.” Aaron said. “Sadly, the Pharaoh only has one son, and he will die tonight when the angel of death comes. He is very young, however, and doesn’t really know the difference between right and wrong. It is because of this reason that I believe that the Pharaoh’s son will go to heaven when he dies.”
I was just about to say something in reply to that when I heard a high-pitched noise from outside. It didn’t take me long to figure out what it was… screaming. The angel of death had arrived in Egypt.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:55 am 
The Council must persist

Wow, this is a really exciting part of the story! I can't wait to read more! :D

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Chapter #7!
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:53 pm 
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Chapter #7: Moses (Part #3)
Before Moses could say anything to me, I ran outside to witness the first Passover. I was so overcome with the excitement of being able to see one of the most pivotal moments in the Bible first-hand, that I forgot about the death and mayhem that was about to take place. I saw what appeared to be a thick black fog floating down to streets. The fog looked like the exhaust from a diesel engine, only much more black and thick. After watching this fog for a few minutes, I realized that it must be from the Lord. Normal fog would travel wherever the wind took it… but not this fog. At each doorway, the fog would pause for a few seconds as if examining the house, then it would go on to the next house. It passed over most of the houses in the area where I was (since everyone had painted their doorposts with lambs’ blood). As it got toward the outskirts of the Israelite encampment, however, the real carnage started happening.
These houses no longer had lambs’ blood on the doorposts, so at each house the black fog would pause and then go inside. Once the fog left each house, it wasn’t more than a few minutes before I heard a blood-curdling scream. I could only imagine the pain these people were going through when they woke up to find their beloved children dead. I was about to go back inside so I didn’t have to witness this terrible tragedy, but out of nowhere I saw Moses and Aaron run past me as fast as they could.
I went back inside and asked one of the slaves, “Where are Moses and Aaron going?”
The slave replied, “They have been summoned to Pharaoh’s throne room. All of this death is really upsetting Pharaoh.”
Without saying another word, I left the house and ran full-speed toward Pharaoh’s palace. No sooner had I arrived at Pharaoh’s palace then I heard an ear-splitting, sorrow-filled scream. I arrived in the throne room just in time to see Pharaoh go into a fit of rage. To avoid being seen, I quickly hid behind a statue of Ra (the Egyptian sun god).
“My son! My poor innocent son!” the Pharaoh cried cupping his face in his hands as if he wanted to tear his face right off of his head. Turning to Moses, he cried, “How could you let this happen to him?!”
“This is no one’s fault but yours; the Lord has judged you for your evil ways. This all could have been avoided if you’d listened to me when I warned you that this would happen.” Moses replied.
I turned to see Pharaoh’s response. As I watched, the look of extreme sadness and heartache on Pharaoh’s face quickly changed into a look of intense anger and bitterness. He swiftly turned around and spat at Moses’ feet. I could tell by the look of extreme contempt for Moses on his face that he wanted to kill Moses right there on the spot for saying that. Fortunately for Moses, he didn’t do it.
“Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the Lord as you have requested. Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me.” The Pharaoh said, as if he were holding back the full force of his anger.
Without saying another word, I watched as Moses and Aaron left the throne room. “I guess they’re going to gather the Israelites and prepare to leave Egypt once and for all.” I thought to myself.
Having nothing else to see, I decided to skip forward in time once again. I took out the device and pressed the “fast-forward” and “activate” button simultaneously, hoping that I didn’t travel ahead too far. Once the portal appeared, I quickly entered it before anyone saw me.
When I came out the other side of the portal, I was standing in front of a sea unlike any sea that had ever existed. The water was glistening under the mid-day sun. It was so peaceful that I suddenly became aware of how much I wished I could’ve taken a shower right then. I couldn’t help but stare at it for a few minutes and marvel at God’s beautiful and wondrous creation. It wasn’t more than a few seconds after that, however, before I realized that there was a loud jumble of voices coming from the valley behind me. Turning around, I was shocked to see that the entire shoreline of this sea was full of people!
“There has to be thousands of people here!” I thought in amazement. I slowly walked down the hill and into the valley, bracing myself so I wouldn’t lose control of my descent. “How will I ever find anyone in this crowd?!” I thought.
Then, as if out of nowhere, a gust of wind swept through the crowd. At first it was a gentle breeze, but it gradually turned into a severe windstorm. People were taking whatever cover they could find to protect themselves from the wind.
I had to use every ounce of my strength to turn around, against the fierce winds, and head back up the hill. I figured that I could get a better view of things from up there so I could figure out where to take cover myself. It was only then that I noticed Moses standing in almost the exact spot where I had been only moments before. The thing that caught my eye, however, was that the wind didn’t seem to be affecting him. Don’t get me wrong, the wind was very strong at this point, but it didn’t so much as rustle Moses’ clothes.
As I watched, Moses slowly turned around to face the sea. He bowed his head (in prayer, I assumed), then set his gaze on the shore on the opposite side of the sea. Quickly and forcefully, as if he were a boxer that had just won a fight, he raised his staff toward the heavens.
As soon as he had his staff fully raised, the wind completely stopped, as if the wind itself was his to command. No, saying the wind stopped would be an understatement. It was as if all noise stopped; no whispers from the crowd and definitely no blowing of the wind. The only thing I could compare it to would be the quietness one would experience in the eye of a hurricane.
Then, as if the eye of the hurricane passed, the noise started again. Only this time the noise wasn’t the air around us, it was the sea itself.
“Could it be the parting of the Red Sea?!” I thought to myself in excitement. I ran up the hill as fast as I could so I could witness this miracle as it happened. When I reached the top, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
The water was churning like there was an earthquake in progress. Then out of nowhere I noticed the water along the seashore start to dry up. Only it wasn’t the whole seashore, just a space of land about a half-mile across. To my amazement, the water continued to dry up as it traveled into the sea. It seemed as if the more the water dried, the faster it went. Before long I stood in awe as I watched the parting of the Red Sea finish. Almost exactly as the dry land connected to the opposite shore, the noised stopped completely, as if God had pressed the “mute” button on this whole event. I closed my eyes and noticed that the water sounded calm and quiet, yet when I opened my eyes I almost went into sensory overload because my mind couldn’t logically explain what I was seeing. There was a stretch of land a half-mile across that went right into the sea and ended on the opposite seashore. One thing I noticed was that the land inside the corridor through the sea wasn’t just devoid of water… it was completely dry! It was as if there was a mini-desert going right through the middle of the sea. The other thing I noticed was the walls of both sides of the corridor. It was as if there was an invisible shield preventing the water from crashing down and filling the sea back in. “Wow, when God does something he sure doesn’t hold anything back.” I thought to myself in shocked amusement.
Prying my eyes away from the sea, I turned to see what Moses’ reaction was. Moses, however, was no longer where he had been only moments before. I looked around for him, but it didn’t take me long to notice that he was already down at the shoreline ushering people into the corridor of dry land. I saw some people acting very hesitantly about going into the corridor, but after sharing a quick glance of comfort with Moses they decided to trust him and go into the corridor.
I hurried down the hill toward the shoreline, barely being able to contain my excitement that I was going to have the privilege of walking through the Red Sea. As I was running down the hill I accidentally tripped over a rock and tumbled the rest of the way down. When Instead of being greeted my Moses at the bottom, I was greeted by a sharp blow to my head as it came in contact with a huge boulder. I tried staying conscious, but it was no use. Succumbing to the pain, I blacked out.
When I awoke, the first thing that came to my mind was the Red Sea. I turned to look at it, praying that it hadn’t already filled back in. What I saw nearly caused my heart to stop beating. At first, I thought there was a crowd of golden statues running though the corridor. Then, remembering that statues are inanimate objects and can’t move, I took a closer look. I realized that in fact they were Egyptian soldiers racing down the corridor in their golden chariots while wearing their golden armor. “If only I had one of those sets of gold armor,” I thought “there’s so much gold in it that I’d be a millionaire.”
Realizing that I better get to the other side of the Red Sea quickly, I got up and ran down the corridor as fast as my legs could carry me. Fortunately I was about a half-mile behind the Egyptians, so they didn’t see me. I thought everything was going fine… until I got about halfway down the corridor.
All of the sudden I heard a low rumbling behind me. Fearing the worst, I turned around to see what was making the noise. As I saw what was making the noise my heart dropped out of my chest and my suspicions were confirmed… the Red Sea was filling back in! As if the walls holding back the water had disappeared, the water was rushing in to fill the empty void. Since I was halfway down the corridor the cascade of water hadn’t reached me yet, but I only had about 30 seconds before I’d be a permanent lawn ornament on the bottom of the Red Sea.
Thinking quickly, I took out the device and pointed it at the ground ahead of me. The first name that came to mind was my friend Joseph from back at school. He had recently told me a story about how he had almost drowned in a lake near his house over summer vacation, so naturally he was the person I thought of in this situation. I pressed J-O-S-E-P-H on the device and pressed the “activate” button. By now the Egyptians had realized the water was closing in on them and they were riding their horses as fast as they possibly could in hopes of reaching the other side in time.
I took one last glance behind me before I went through the portal, but I immediately wished that I hadn’t. Just as I turned around I was hit by what felt like a brick wall but was in reality the Red Sea finally catching up with me. Fortunately, I was right in front of the portal when this happened so I was carried through it along with several hundred gallons of water.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:47 am 
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

WWWOOOOWWW!!! That's AWESOME! It felt like I was watching a movie!

Image Image

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:34 pm 
The Council must persist

Nice job!! I could see it happening in my head. Can't wait to read more! \:D/

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Chapter 8!
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:34 pm 
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Chapter #8: Joseph
I came out the other side of the portal and landed face-first in a huge mound of sand, but the sand quickly turned into mud as the water that came through the portal with me covered it (and me). I tried pushing myself up off the ground so I could survey my surroundings, but before I could stand up I felt someone grab my arm and help me get to my feet.
As I laid my eyes on the kind person that was helping me up, I noticed that behind him was a convoy of camels going off into the distance. They, in addition to their riders, looked as if they hadn’t had anything to drink in a very long time
“Many thanks!” said the man that had helped me to my feet, “We have been traveling for several weeks since we left Gilead and we feared we were near death. We ran out of food days ago and we had almost run out of water as well. Fortunately for us, you fell out of the sky along with water for all of us. You are certainly a gift from God! I insist that you come with us to Cairo.”
“Since I’m in the middle of the desert,” I thought, “I better go along with these guys until I figure out where I am.” “Sure, I’d be happy to go with you to Cairo.”
Having no possessions of my own to carry, I hitched a ride on one of the camels and prepared for the long journey across the desert. We traveled for what seemed like weeks, but were probably only a few days. Other than the occasional shrub, the scenery changed little until we started getting closer to the end of our trip. When we finally started nearing Cairo, I started to see houses and tents. The tents and houses were few and far between, but I could see the quantity of them getting denser as I looked off in the direction of Cairo. It wasn’t long after the houses and tents started showing up, however, before we were confronted by a group of 11 men. Fearing that they were bandits, I jumped off my camel and hid behind a nearby palm tree.
“Greetings!” said a man that appeared to be the leader of the group. “We have a business proposition for you. Our family has owned this slave since he was born,” he said, gesturing to a man bound in ropes behind the group, “and we no longer require his service. We were wondering if perhaps you’d like to purchase him from us. He is a boy of only seventeen years, so you’ll have his service for many years to come. How about it? Would you like to buy him?”
From my vantage point behind the palm tree, I could see the look of utter betrayal on the poor boy’s face. In addition to that, I noticed the striking resemblance between him and the 10 other men. “Hmm… this looks familiar.” I quietly muttered to myself.
After considering it for a few minutes, the leader of the caravan finally, with a slight tone of annoyance in his voice, said, “Very well, I will buy your slave. I’ll only pay twenty shekels though, not a shekel more. Is it a deal?”
“It’s a deal.” The leader of the 11 men replied. He reached forward and they both shook hands to seal their deal.
“One more thing,” the leader of the caravan said as some other men went to take possession of the boy, “what is your name? I’d like to know in case I ever want to do business in this area sometime in the future.”
“My name is Judah.” The man replied. “These are my brothers Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, Zebulun, Benjamin, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher.”
Upon hearing the names of these men, the truth hit me like a ton of bricks. I was witnessing none other than the sale of Joseph into slavery. Not wanting to miss my opportunity to follow the caravan, I waited until the sons of Jacob had turned away to count their money and then hopped onto the back of the camel that I had been riding on. Meanwhile, the leader of the caravan put Joseph on the camel right behind him. Once everyone had secured their belongings, the caravan starting moving again in the direction of Cairo.
After another seven or eight hours had gone by, we finally arrived at the dusty city of Cairo. As we traveled through the city gates I could see two Egyptian charioteers standing guard at the gate; they were looking as if they wished someone would start some trouble just so it would liven up their otherwise dull day. We hadn’t even got 10 feet through the gate before we heard the thundering of hooves behind us. I turned around just in time to be greeted by a cloud of dust as one of those charioteers raced pass the leading camel in the caravan and promptly stopped, blocking our way. Seeing that we had nowhere to go, the other charioteer took him time dismounting his chariot then proceeded over to us.
Walking up to the leader of our caravan, he said, “You men don’t look to be from around here. Where are you from and why are you here?”
“We are just a caravan looking to sell or trade our goods here in your great city.” The leader replied. “We came here after a brief stop in Dothan, which is where we bought this slave,” he said, gesturing to Joseph. “Perhaps you would like to buy him from us?”
I could tell by his tone of voice that he was being sarcastic when he said “great city”, but fortunately for us the charioteer didn’t pick up on that.
“Indeed I would.” He replied with a tone of voice that implied they should’ve already known he wanted their slave. “Due to the fact that I’m one of Pharaoh’s top officials, I have little time to manage my belongings. I have been searching for many weeks for someone to run my household. Perhaps, if this boy prospers at the work I will give him, then maybe I will put him in charge of my possessions.” As I watched, the charioteer handed the caravan leader a pouch of gold coins. “You may be on your way,” the charioteer said. “When you get into the heart of the city, find a guard and have him deliver that slave to Potiphar’s house.”
“So that’s Potiphar.” I thought. He definitely lived up to what you would think an Egyptian soldier should look like. He had to be at least 7 feet tall with muscles as thick as tree trunks. He also had an evil sneer on his face that made you almost want to run away because you were afraid he’d kill you.
Having no more business to conduct at the city gates, the caravan leader signaled the others to start moving again. Stopping nowhere along the way, they headed straight for the center of the city hoping to be able to sell all of their goods there.
After a little searching we found a guard. Upon telling him Joseph was a slave newly acquired by Potiphar, he promptly took him and led him away. Not wanting to lose sight of Joseph, I quickly ditched my camel and went after them. After about 20 minutes of walking, we came to a marble building on the outskirts of the city. This was no ordinary building though; it shined as if God himself had created the sun just to shine on it alone. “Get inside! Go into the main room and wait there until Potiphar gets off duty. He should be home in about 1 hour… so no funny business!” the guard barked at Joseph.
As I watched the guard walk away, I realized how long Joseph was actually in Egypt. “I’m definitely not hanging around here for another twenty-three years!” I thought to myself. I quickly glanced around to make sure no one was watching, and then I took the device out of my pocket and punched in “23”. Pointing it at the side of Potiphar’s house, I pressed the “fast-forward” button and jumped through the portal.
When I came out the other side it was night. I was about to go look inside Potiphar’s house when all of the sudden I heard two men yelling down the street. I quietly ran down the street and peeked around the corner. I could see the faces of two guards illuminated by the torches that they were holding. No sooner I peeked around the corner a charioteer drove up to the two guards I saw that were already in a heated argument.
“Hurry up!” the charioteer said. “Pharaoh has a big announcement to make. He has commanded me to round up all the guards and have them assembled, within the hour, outside of his palace.” The guard said this with a hint of skepticism in his voice, as if the Pharaoh was making what he thought to be an extremely bold decision.
Having nowhere else to go, I quietly followed the guards as they made their way back into the city’s center, keeping in the shadows just in case they turned around and saw me following them. If it hadn’t been for the faint light emanating from their torches, I doubt I ever would have been able to keep track of them as they wove their way through the dark streets of Cairo on their way to Pharaoh’s palace.
The second I laid my eyes upon Pharaoh’s palace, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. This had to be the most ornate and expensive-looking building I had ever seen. Compared to this palace, The White House looked like one of those shacks you see in third-world countries. It was made from a type of stone, that shimmered so brightly in the sun that it almost blinded me with the glare. I started to wonder what type of stone it was, but I soon forgot about that amongst the many other things on my mind at that moment. Right in the center of the palace, there was a platform overlooking the entire courtyard. No sooner had I nudged my way to the part of the courtyard with the best view of the platform then a hush fell over the crowd. I looked up at the platform and saw a man so richly dressed that he could only be the Pharaoh. Standing next to him was a man dressed in expensive-looking linen with a gold chain around his neck so big that it looked like it had been stolen from the set of a rap music video. Remembering that Joseph had become second in command of Egypt later in life, I assumed that this man was in fact Joseph. If I had any doubt about this man’s identity, they disappeared the second the Pharaoh started speaking.
“Joseph,” the Pharaoh said, yelling loud enough for everyone to hear him, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you. I am Pharaoh, but without your word no one will lift hand or foot in all Egypt.” Pharaoh then briefly paused and took Joseph’s right hand, placing his signet ring on it. “Your name will no longer be Joseph. From now on you will be known to all as…” he quickly paused to think of a name, “Zaphenath-Paneah!”
Upon announcing Joseph’s new name, a cheer went up from the crowd. I started hearing shouts around me like “He will save us from the famine to come!” and “Ra has certainly bestowed his blessing on us today!”
Wasting no time at all, Joseph came down from the platform and mounted his chariot. With a loud shout he rode off into the desert.
I remember from my Old Testament Survey class back at school that the time of abundance had lasted 7 years before the famine arrived in Egypt. Nonchalantly (but quickly) making my way out of the courtyard, I pressed “7” and “fast-forward”. I jumped through the portal while preparing myself for the famine I was to encounter.
It looked like a war zone. As I made my way back into the courtyard, all I could here were the sounds of people crying. Everyone had pitched tents in the courtyard in desperation to purchase grain from the Granary.
I weaved my way through the forest of tents, careful to avoid any of the people that were crying out in pain. Subconsciously, I thought they were so hungry that they might grab my leg and try to eat it. “What?!” I said to myself as I realized what I had just thought. I assumed it was the sweltering heat that was talking; not me.
As I neared the steps of the palace, the crowd started to get thicker. The sound of people crying gradually changed to the sound of people arguing and bartering with each other for some grain. And there, selling grain at a table at the bottom of the steps, was Joseph. I was just about to walk up to him and introduce myself (I doubted that he remembered me from all those years ago), but at the last moment had to get out of the way quickly as a camel stepped where I had just been standing. I looked up at the man riding the camel and realized that it was none other than Joseph’s older brother Judah. Looking around the side of the camel, I noticed that all of his brothers were waiting behind him. Judah casually dismounted his camel, walked over to Joseph, and preceded in his attempt to buy some grain for his family.
When Joseph looked up I immediately saw the change in his face. If your best friend walked up to you and hit you in the head with a baseball bat, you still wouldn’t look more surprised then he did at that moment. Then, as he realized the advantage of keeping his identity a secret, he composed himself as best as he could.
“Where do you come from?” Joseph asked them in an extremely harsh tone.
“From the land of Canaan,” said Judah, stepping forward to answer him, “to buy food.”
All of the sudden, as if the devil himself had possessed Joseph, he lashed out at his brother. “You are spies! You have come to see where our land is unprotected.”
“No, my lord,” Judah answered. “Your servants have come to buy food. We are all the sons of one man. Your servants are honest men, not spies.”
“No!” Joseph shot back. “You have come to see where our land is unprotected.”
Judah replied, “Your servants were twelve brothers, the son of one man, who lives in the land of Canaan. The youngest is now with our father, and one is no more.”
In response, Joseph said, “It is just as I told you: You are spies! And this is how you will be tested: As surely as Pharaoh lives, you will not leave this place unless your youngest brother comes here. Send one of your number to get your brother; the rest of you will be kept in prison so that your words may be tested to see if you’re telling the truth. If you are not, then as surely as Pharaoh lives you are spies!”
Turning to one of his guards, Joseph said, “Lock them in the dungeon for three days! Maybe their imprisonment can bring them to tell the truth.”
With a signal of his hand, the guard summoned many other guards to take them away.
Not wanting to get arrested as well, I quickly ran into the sea of tents.
“After that boy! Since he’s running away, that must mean that he’s a spy as well.” The guard shouted as he pointed in my direction. Five of the guards dealing with the sons of Jacob broke off from the group and started chasing after me.
As I ran through the tents, people briefly looked up to see what all the commotion was. Since their entire lives were spent wallowing away in hunger, a little excitement was more than welcome. As for me, however, the only thing I was thinking about at that moment was escaping from the guards. I quickly ducked into one of the tents, trying to hide from them. Luckily for me, the guards rushed right pass the tent I was hiding in. With a feeling of dread, I realized how many guards were scattered all over Cairo. I realized that the only place I could safely hide would be where they’d be least likely to look for me… in the Pharaoh’s palace.
I slowly made my way back to the palace, having to occasionally duck behind a tent as a guard walked by since I didn’t have anything to disguise myself with. After 5 or 10 minutes, I finally made it to the steps of the palace. Apparently, during all the commotion, Joseph and his personal guard had “closed up shop” for the day. That was a good thing for me, considering I’d have a 0% chance of getting up those steps if Joseph had still been there. Gathering all of my stamina, I ran as fast as I could up the steps and into the palace.
After searching for a few minutes, I found what appeared to be the dining room. As I surveyed my surroundings, I noticed that there was a small alcove located in the far corner of the dining room (a perfect place for me to hide). As I prayed that God would keep the guards away, I slowly took out the device from my pocket and pointed it at the alcove.
“Two months ought to do it.” I thought to myself. I knew that Judah and his brothers still had to make a few trips back and forth from Canaan, and that’d take awhile. Pressing the appropriate buttons, I activated the device and cautiously stepped through the portal, hoping that I wouldn’t make too much of a noise on the other side.
As I came out the other side, I could hear a commotion coming from the dining room. I quietly peered around the corner to see what was going on. Instead of some regal dinner put on for the Pharaoh’s guests, I saw Joseph, his brothers, and Jacob himself sitting at the table enjoying a sumptuous dinner.
After they had finished eating, Jacob stood up to address his beloved son Joseph. “Now I’m ready to die, since I’ve seen for myself that you’re still alive.”
In return, Joseph said, “I will go up and speak to Pharaoh and will say to him that my brothers and my father’s household, who were living in Canaan, have come to me.”
Not paying attention to the rest of the conversation, I left them to enjoy their newly-restored relationship and quietly made my way back into the alcove. After thinking for a few seconds on where I wanted to go next, I settled on the story of Joshua. I wasn’t really sure what had made me choose him above the numerous other Bible stories, so I just assumed it was God leading me in the direction he wanted me to go.
I pointed the device at the back of the alcove, punched in “J-O-S-H-U-A”, and pressed the activation button. As the portal appeared, I thought I could hear someone coming to investigate what all the noise was that was coming from the alcove. I obviously didn’t want to be found out (and neither did God, I assumed), so I jumped into the portal as quickly as possible, hoping that it closed up on that end before someone saw it.

Offline Profile  

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next