The House

Showcase your creations! Art, Fanfiction, Poetry, Movies, Audio, it all goes in here!

The House

Postby Marvin D. » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Okay, short story I wrote :p

Five children were under the Christmas tree, tearing open their presents excitedly. Their parents sat on the couch, smiling and watching them as the mother nursed her baby boy. The only boy among the other four girls opened his rather small box, wondering what could be in it. Inside was a single piece of paper which said that it was good for one bicycle. He immediately started jumping up and down with joy and raced over to give his parents a big hug. It was the best day of his life; if only it could have gone on forever...
The steps leading up to the house had been worn away, revealing a pale layer of the rock. The handrails had rusted from years of exposure thanks to the rain, and at the top of the stairs was the doorframe. There was no door anymore; thieves had carried it away many years ago. But he did not know that. It appeared that someone had tried to put a makeshift door made out of cardboard, but it had collapsed long ago. A sign above the door blazed in large, red letters “Condemned”, along with an official notice stating that it was unlawful or the house to be occupied. The man had paid no attention and walked inside.
All the furniture had either been looted or taken away by the authorities. The little that remained had obviously been considered worthless. There was no longer a carpet, merely bare concrete which had blackened. A pale sun shined through the cracks in the roof, and a little bit of dust fell onto the man. He did not see rust and paint peeling off the walls; no, he saw him and his siblings racing into the room on Christmas morning. There, in the corner, the Christmas tree would stand every year. He still remembered when he got his first bicycle, when he was seven. It only seemed to have been yesterday; it was really over twenty years ago. This was the living room—or what was left of it.
The next room was the kitchen; during a hurricane, a tree had fallen onto the house and had blocked off that room and his dad’s office. Still, he saw the old-fashioned stove, completely covered in rust and animal droppings. Glass, cardboard, and all kinds of trash were littered all over the floor. But it was almost as if he could hear the laughter of his mother and sisters and they cooked the daily meals for their family. As if it were yesterday, he recalled sneaking into the kitchen in order to steal a piece of pie, and how the filling burned him.
He carefully crossed over the tree’s stump and passed by the family room, where his family had done countless of little skits and presentations, and his parents’ bedroom, where he’d gone whenever the thunder and lightning was too much for him.
In the next room, he stopped to look over it all. Without the large table to seat his parents and his four other siblings, it looked as if some part of the room were gone. The cupboard that kept the glass china hung at a strange angle, the doors having been ripped from it. Seemingly hundreds of cobwebs were strung all across the cupboard, and a trail of ants carried out some food they had found. He quickly left the dining room and moved on.
Because he couldn’t bear to see what had become of the place he’d grown up in, the man moved on to the room right after the dining room. To his surprise, the door was still in place, but when the man touched the old door, it fell down with a loud boom as if it were just waiting to be touched. He couldn’t go inside the room, for over the years, natural elements had eaten through the floor and had caused it to erode, letting dirt and grass grow through the gaps in the ground. Bird droppings were scattered across the floor, and the room reeked of the terrible odors. He’d always remembered not being allowed into the girls’ room, being shooed out every time he sneaked a peek in there, but now that he could go in at will, he didn’t want to. It felt as if a part of him had died along with the house, and he couldn’t bear to stay much longer.
He had saved one room for last. Slowly, the man walked forward, each step bringing back so many memories that it was becoming harder for him to discern between what was real and what was not. The final room had no door, and stood gaping as if it were a portal into another world. Five minutes passed as the man prepared to enter that last room, and, in a moment of decision, stepped through the door in one long stride.
He was affected in a different way when he reached the room. Just seeing it brought back so many memories hard and fast, and it was so much for him that he slid to the floor and sat there at the door, merely staring. It was his room, where he had spent so much time. The man could see the drawer where he kept his baseball cards, and he could picture exactly where his bed was put. Everything was so real, but at the same time, it was not. Nothing was there anymore, only rodents and all kinds of animals and rust and mold. But to his astonishment, the man realized that there was one item left: his old rocking chair. His father had bought it for him from the side of the road one day since he had wanted it so badly. For some reason, it never had been taken. And it stayed there, slowly moving with the wind that came from the roof and open windows.
As he got up and listened to the creaking of the rocking chair, he shook his head bitterly. The chair seemed to never stop moving, just as time did. In a few short years his parents had died, his sisters had married, and this had happened to the family house. The sight was too much for him to bear, and he shaking his head sadly, the man turned around. He could not take it anymore; it was far too much. As if there were a heavy weight on his shoulders, the man walked away slowly. The chair kept rocking back and forth.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
Marvin D.

Oh Anna Sun

Cash on hand: 216.74
Bank: 10,100.00
Blog: View Blog (26)

Re: The House

Postby Jesus' Princess » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:58 pm

I liked it. One of the things really liked was the descriptive language. :)
Country Girl
Country Girl
Jesus' Princess

Passed her drivers test! Whoop!

Cash on hand: 232.66
Bank: 4,909.61
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Termite » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:28 pm

How... depressing. >_> Thanks. Now I want to cry.

In other words: very well written. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"Satan can't take your joy unless he disturbs your sense of right-standing with God." -Roy H Hicks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Termite

was eaten by a dinosaur.

Cash on hand: 296.24
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Marvin D. » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:40 pm

*offers tissue*

Aw, thanks guys ^_^

If you want to get it in the formal version. . .: http://shop.authorstand.com/Products/55 ... house.aspx
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
Marvin D.

Oh Anna Sun

Cash on hand: 216.74
Bank: 10,100.00
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Sapphire » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 am

Wonderful story, Josh. I really liked it. Very descriptive and insightful!
A Beautiful Gem
Sapphire

"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash on hand: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00

Return to Inventor's Corner