[ 3 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: I wrote this Story
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 am 
I guess I'll stick around
Long Live Dead Languages!

Cash: 33.80
Bank: 181.37
Hey all, my friend gave me this challenge of writing a story that included: a mountain, scented candles, and an umbrella. Will you please tell me what you think?

Why Wasps?
by Yours Truly!!

Prologue:

May 27, 2010

Dear Journal,
Last week, Caroline and I went on a camping trip with our Scouts troop. We had a wonderful tine, for the most part, but I will get to that later.
We hiked to our Troop’s assigned cabin area at the Guiney Mountains. Because there were only four cabins and our town has a very tiny Scouts Chapter, there were only two campers to a cabin. And because each person has only one friend that they spend time with, I bunked with Caroline. The sleeping part was not that horrible, we slept through most of the nights.
I say “most” because the other cabins and ours decided to have a prank war. Cabin One, the Hedge Hogs made up of Clara and Emma, placed cookie crumbs in each of our cabins before out whole troop went fishing and to the archery range. Unfortunately, they decided to use sugar cookies in Cabin Three, the cabin that Caroline and I shared. The end result was LOTS of vermin in our cabin and having stay up all night to try to get them out.
Cabin Four, however, decided to use a “harmless” prank to try to get a bear to come into camp and trash our cabins. Surprisingly, the bear DID come, but sadly, it came when we were having our fire stories/dinner time. We all tried our best to not freak out, and for the most part, we managed. Accept, LeeAnn decided to scream at the first sight of the creature. Thankfully, out camp directors, Mr. and Mrs. Jones invested in a pistol to be brought on camping trips. Mr. Jones shot the bear in the neck and sent it running. Both girls from Cabin Four were sentenced to trash and latrine duty that week.

Out of all the pranks that were played at camp, one was the worst. Cabin Two decided to lure wasps to out camping tents when we hiked to a clearing further up the mountain. Those girls, Madison and Monica, are now my worst enemies.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

“Mrs. Jones, are we almost there?” Madison said with a heavy sigh.

We had a long hour and a half of hiking. It was a beautiful day, not too hot, not too cold. The scenery that we saw when we looked down from the mountain was purely gorgeous. The way the different hues of blues, greens, and greys lined the sky was breathtaking. The sounds of the birds and the hum of the bees were amazing too. Personally, I’m not sure why Madison and Monica were complaining so much. I guess they don’t appreciate the landscape of the mountains as much as they adore the layout of the nearest mall.
Anyway, we finally found the clearing were we camped the year before and started setting up our tents. It did not take Caroline and me too long to do so, so Mrs. Jones put us of fire wood patrol.

“Amelia, Caroline, would you please search the area around the campsite and see if you could find any fire wood?” Mrs. Jones said while trying to help another Cabin set up their tent.
“Yes Ma’am” We said in unison.
We searched the surrounding area for fire wood and kindling. We found what we needed and started heading back to camp. Even though it was getting dark, we did not have too much trouble navigating through the trees and shrubbery, we found our way back after about fifteen minutes of being lost.
We got back to camp and started the fire with Mr. Jones’ supervision, and let me tell you, we needed him there. First, I accidently caught the surrounding grass on fire while using the flint and steel. The spark did not land in the pit that I was aiming for, but it landed about six inches from the pit. Next Caroline tried it. Well, let’s just say that she failed and that we both will be paying for a wig for Mr. Jones. It was brutal.
After the fire was flickering and flaming like it should be, we gathered around it for a dinner of potatoes that we cooked in the fire. It was delicious.

The next morning, we all woke up late, about 30 minutes late. Caroline and I scrambled to get dressed and to pack our gear up. We exited our tent and stepped out into the untamed world of creatures. The rare whining Monica bird had been up extra early out of the anticipation of leaving and her nest partner, Madison, was joining her in chorus.
“When are we going to LEAVE??” Monica was saying when we finally got out of our tent.
“Monica, for the very last time, we are leaving after we eat lunch. And so you won’t ask when lunch is, it will be after archery and canoeing with canoeing being the first thing we will do after breakfast and camp breaking” Mr. Jones said, obviously getting extremely tired of her griping like the rest of us.
Breakfast was made up of cereal and water. The only thing that was able brake Monica and Madison’s whining and griping streak is food. I was glad, too. They stopped talking long enough for the rest of the campers to smile with a sigh of relief. All smiles said “Ahh, it’s over for the moment.”
Archery and canoeing went well. The twins, LeeAnn and Laura, completely crushed Caroline and me in the canoe race. As for archery, well, they got crushed by us. We had about twenty extra minutes because Mr. and Mrs. Jones scheduled in time for rescuing anyone who tipped over in their canoe. None of that happened, thankfully.

Of all events that happened that week of Scouts Camp, lunch on Friday morning was probably the most eventful time. We sat down to eat at the picnic table by the lake. It was a dark wooden pine table with a green and blue umbrella in the middle. The lake side view was very beautiful with its trees all around and lots of birds and other creatures chirping, squeaking, and squawking. Only one thing made this ‘end of camp trip’ less nature-ish was the pumpkin-scented candles that Monica insisted on bringing and setting out.
“It’ll make this moment special!” she insisted, acting as if no one remembered her four days of tantrums, pouts, and pranks.
We sat down to eat our sandwiches at the table. It all went well until a gentle breeze blew the pumpkin scented smoke of the candles towards a wasps’ nest in the bushes near the table. The moments that followed were brutal. First, Lauren and LeeAnn tried their hardest to stand still while the wasps swarmed towards the table, trying to find the source of the scent. That tactic failed when they got stung about four times each. They screamed and ran away. That’s when we learned that Cabin Four, the Black Bears consisting of Madison and Morgan, switched everyone’s Bug Away with sugar water. EVERYONE”S. Second, I got stung more times that Lauren, LeeAnn, and Caroline combined. It was not pleasant. I was so angry that I spilled their last food rations on the ground and smashed it in the dirt. That’s when the guilt kicked in. I remembered that the twins were allergic to gluten, so their sandwich bread was different than mine. I apologized a excessively and that’s when we got another truth out of them. They were not allergic to anything at all. Not gluten, not honey, not potatoes, and certainly not tree bark.
While that was happening, I realized that Caroline was having an allergic reaction to her wasp stings. Mr. Jones called an ambulance while Mrs. Jones ordered Monica to douse the flames on the candles and apologize to all the campers.
By the time that the ambulance and Caroline’s nineteen year old brother got there, she was feeling terrible. She could barely breathe and was wheezing badly. I rode with her brother Conner to the hospital.
Caroline is fine now, but she’s afraid of going on a Scouting trip again. I don’t blame her at all. It was truly scary. I do believe now that I have Spheksophobia, the fear of wasps. I think Caroline has it too.

Well diary, it was certainly an interesting camping trip. I certainly learned a lot about the flora and fauna of the mountains and about Madison and Monica. I may never go camping again, but I thoroughly enjoyed it up until being attacked by wasps.

EDIT: 9:07pm

Umm, why don't you tell me what you thought? I would really like to know.

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: I wrote this Story
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 am 
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend
I just spent entirely too long looking through my old posts. o.o

Cash: 0.00
Bank: 592.70
Blog: View Blog (8)
That's an awesome story! I like it.. although, I think maybe it'd work better if it were put in with a group of stories the character had... but that's just my opinion. Altogether, it's interesting, and kept me engaged till the very end. I loved it. (: Great job! \:D/

Image Image

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject: Re: I wrote this Story
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:18 am 
I guess I'll stick around
Long Live Dead Languages!

Cash: 33.80
Bank: 181.37
Thanks!

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice

Offline Profile  

[ 3 posts ]