[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Post subject: Point A to Point B - Chapter 11 released!
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 am 
I'll catch up to Bren!
The man that stops the monsters

Cash: 2,131.08
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
I posted this in Top's Writing Faction... I figured I'd post it here, too

I've been writing a book for a month or two now. It's called "Point A to Point B". It involves a boy about 13, named Jason McFarland. His father is an agent with the FBI. They move(again) to a new town, so Jason's father can work on his latest case. Several strange things have been happening around town. Jason stumbles upon the case, and finds himself right in the middle of it all, not sure who to trust, with even his own father under suspicion. In the end, he must decide who he can trust, and those he can't, and stop the people he can't trust.

So here's the prologue! If I get replies, maybe I'll post more. ;)

Prologue
The New Kid in Town

On a Friday, a moving van pulled into the driveway of 46 Mockingbird Lane; an old, run-down house generally looked down upon by the community. But the man moving in, Jonathon McFarland, was perfectly capable of fixing it up, for he was a contractor and an overall maintenance man. Or at least, that was his cover. Really and truly, he was a well-known man in the world of secret agents. He was known mainly for his undercover work, but this time he was using his real name because he had decided something. This case would be his last. He was tired of moving from city to city, working on different cases. It was too hard, especially for his family. Though his wife, Emily, supported him in everything he did, he could tell that it was hard for her. Living with the secret of her husband being an undercover agent for the FBI was just too much to bear. Of course she had never said so, and never would, he could tell. And moving around so much just complicated things even more. So it was time. It was time to give up all this mystery and intrigue. He hadn’t informed anyone of his decision yet, not even his superiors. He wanted to quit immediately after he told them so they wouldn’t have time to talk him out of it.

Meanwhile, Jason, Jonathon’s son, was standing nearby watching as his father helped the movers bring in the boxes. Why they even brought the boxes in, he didn’t know. They never unpacked them. They moved again so quickly after they moved in that they never got a chance to. They just sat in the garage until it was time to move again. Jason looked at his father. His shoulders were drooping again. His father had been walking around like this for weeks. Shoulders drooping, eyes sad, the corners of his mouth turned down into a scowl. Brow furrowed, obviously thinking very hard about something. Something he didn’t want to think about. Something that made him sad. Jason didn’t know what it was. But it was okay. He hardly ever knew anything about what his father was thinking about. He knew only that he was an agent with the FBI. What they were doing here in Jacksonville, he didn’t know. His father always said ‘If I told you, I’d have to kill you’ in a joking tone whenever Jason asked. He knew it was for his own safety, but he always wished he knew something. He got tired of wondering what his father was really doing when he said he had to go fix a leaky shower in someone’s house. He was always wondering when he’d be home, and if he’d be home. But he never knew. And now here they were in yet another town. A new school, new friends, new teachers, a new community. Everything was new, whether he liked it or not. And he didn’t like it. Not one bit. But he had to live with it, like it or not, so he always seemed to find a way to cope. Last time they had moved he had made friends with a boy named Matthew. Matthew was kind of a strange kid. He liked to tinker with electronics, but he was nice. Jason laughed when he remembered how Matthew had invented a new kind of toaster - one that buttered your toast for you! Unfortunately, the butter melted and leaked into the microchip that controlled the buttering mechanism, causing it to explode and cause a small fire. As strange as Matthew was, Jason was sad to leave him. They had become close friends in the short time they’d known each other. Jason’s thoughts were interrupted by a voice shouting from a few yards away. “Hey, Jason! Could you come help me with this box?” It was his father. “Coming, Dad!” Jason replied. He sighed and walked over to help his father with the box.

Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.

Last edited by The Doctor on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Point A to Point B
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:45 pm 
All That Is Sam.
All That Is Sam.
You'll find me where fantasy meets reality.

Cash: 363.31
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (2)
Awesomeness, I love it! Great job!

Offline Profile  

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:54 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 1,178.96
Blog: View Blog (3)
I like this! Makes me want to read more. Matthew sounds like an interesting kid; makes me wonder whether we will meet him in the future.

Ha - Jason! ;)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9460320/1/Repercussions
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9642694/1/Echoes

Last edited by EvangelineWalker on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:17 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!

Matthew won't be appearing, it was just a reference to AIO.

And here's Chapter 1!

Chapter 1
Another Town, Another School, Another Prankster

Jacksonville Middle School. Just another school in the long series of schools Jason had been to in the years of moving from town to town. There had been Pearson Elementary, Lewiston Elementary, Trenton Elementary, Haddix Elementary, Davidson Elementary, and that wacky school he had attended last, Bosch Middle School. Here he was standing in the cafeteria line, waiting for his food. Well, maybe it was food. It looked more like a giant blob of wax. Note to self: Have mom make lunch tomorrow. He looked around the cafeteria at all the different people. There was a table of very dweebish looking kids who looked like they should still be in 5th grade. There was a group of people at a table who looked like they were the “cool” group. The designer jeans gave it away. And then there was a table that was exactly the opposite of the “dweeb” table. Around it sat three rough looking teenagers who looked like they should have been well into high school. And then there were the tables of normal looking kids, just in the middle, the average kids who were just, well, normal. Jason was at the front of the line now. He got his “food” and went to sit at one of the “normal” tables. There was an empty chair next to a boy a little bit taller than Jason, and probably a bit older, too. Jason sat down. “Hi there.” he said “I’m Jason. What’s your name?” He held out his hand as if to shake the older boy’s hand. “Jake.” The boy said “Jake Reynolds.” The boy held out his hand and shook Jason’s. However, he was holding an electric buzzer. Jason felt a shock shooting up his arm. He jerked his hand away from Jake’s. “Just a joke I like to play on the new kids.” Jake said, grinning. “No offense, just a little joke. It’s nice to meet you.” “Ah, I see.” Jason said, returning the grin. The boy pulled a banana out of his lunch sack. “You want it?” Jake asked, holding it out to Jason. “For some reason my mom always puts one in there, even though I never eat it. I don’t like them myself. But I imagine it’s better than that stuff.” He gestured to Jason’s plate. “Thanks.” Jason said, carefully taking the banana. “Not my favorite food, but it sure beats halfway melted wax.” The older boy laughed. “You know, I think I’m going to like you.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next day at school, everything went nearly exactly the same. The classes were the same, the teachers were the same, everything was the same, including the food. Fortunately though, Jason’s mom had packed his lunch. Jake was not so fortunate. “This is the first time I’ve ever had to actually eat this stuff.” Jake said, taking a bite. He gagged. “This is awful! How can anybody eat this stuff?” Jake ran over to the water fountain to wash the taste out of his mouth. When he came back, he said “Got any extra food?” Jason shrugged. “I’ve eaten most of it.” he replied. “All I’ve got left is this caramel apple. Want it?” Jake grabbed the caramel apple. “I’ll eat anything, just as long as it’s not that.” he said, pointing to the “food” on his plate. He took a bite of the apple and then spat it out. “Yuck!” he said. “That is not an apple. It’s. It’s… something else. You pranked me!” “Maybe.” Jason replied. “Just getting even for yesterday, onion breath.” “It was an onion!?” Jake exclaimed. “You gave me a caramel covered onion?! Disgusting!” Jake ran to the water fountain for a second time. When he came back, he said “You know, that was a pretty good prank. Not bad, not bad at all. I’ll just have to be more careful around you.”

After school that day, Jason and Jake walked home together. When they got to Jason’s house, Jake gasped “You live there?” he asked, incredulously “You live in the haunted house?” “Haunted house?” Jason replied “Don’t be so silly. You don’t actually believe in that stuff, do you?” “I didn’t.” Jake replied, “Until a few weeks ago. See, I live right across the fence from here. One night I was looking out my bedroom window and I saw something really strange.” “Yeah, what?” Jason replied, somewhat sarcastically. He’s trying to get back at me for earlier today. Jason thought. I hope. “Everything was normal. Then, out of nowhere, this really strange blue circle of light appeared on the ground. And then out of the light came a can of spray paint. It was like it had a mind of its own. It sprayed graffiti all over the back of the house, and there was no one holding it. It just floated in the air and sprayed. And what it wrote was nearly as strange. It wasn’t anything bad, like normal graffiti, just words. Here, come with me and I’ll show you.” Jake led Jason around to the back of the house. “There, see?” Jake said, pointing at the numbers and words written in spray paint. Jason had expected something ominous. But all it said was:

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.

Last edited by The Doctor on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Quote:
Matthew won't be appearing, it was just a reference to AIO.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. ;)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:40 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!

Comments on Chapter 1? Questions? Suggestions? Speculations?

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Ooh, a mystery! Verrry interesting. What was the circle? And what does it mean by "Testing"? I guess I'll have to find out! :)

I liked the description of the first day of school and of the food as "a giant blob of wax". :)

It might be easier to read if it was broken up more into paragraphs, especially the dialogue.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!

I present for your reading pleasure.... Chapter 2

Chapter 2
Meanwhile…

A camera zoomed in on the two boys. “So, someone has seen the test.” the professor said, a somewhat worried expression on his face. “I ought to erase it tonight, but would that not be even more suspicious? Yes, too risky, too risky indeed. I’ll just let the handyman fellow paint over it. Rather strange, them moving in only a few weeks after the test. Rather strange indeed. Well, the test worked, so progress has been made. Progress indeed. Hmm… only a few more weeks now before it should be online, just a few more weeks indeed. Wait. I’m talking to myself again. Oh, my, my, my, I’m doing that much too often. Though I suppose it’s alright. They don’t call me a mad scientist for nothing.” The professor scratched his head “I just hope they don’t get suspicious. Oh, you’re worrying too much. Even if they did get suspicious, they’d never figure it out. Never figure it out, indeed.” The professor smiled. “Well, I ought to get back to work. If I hope to get out tonight, I have a lot more work to do. A lot more work indeed.” The professor turned away from the monitor and back towards his invention. “He really shouldn’t have left all this equipment here; didn’t they know I’d be able to use it? You always were such a fool, Thomas. Not that I mind, of course. If he hadn’t left the equipment here I’d probably never get out. Though it’s a good thing I found that old computer, otherwise I’d be stuck. I still need to get a few parts though. Ah! I’ll go and get them when I get out tonight, of course! Why didn’t I think of it before? Ah, silly me, I’m talking to myself again…”

Jonathon was in his office, staring at the faces on his computer screen, all talking at once. He was doing a video call with his superiors. There was Deputy Director Roberts and Senior Special Agents Holmes and Carlson, and his ever-better rival, Agent Sabinski. “Hey, guys.” Jonathon tried to say, but he barely got the first word in. “Hey, maybe you could-” he was cut off again. “Okay, that’s it.” He hit the mute button and sighed. Finally, some peace and quiet. He sighed again. Unfortunately, it won’t last. He reached over and pressed the mute button once again and the voices came flooding back. “Look, guys.” Jonathon tried to say. They didn’t even hear him. “QUIET!” he screamed. Finally, they stopped talking. “What is it, McFarland?” Sabinski said with a sneer. “Could you maybe speak one at a time please?” Jonathon asked. “I can’t understand what you’re saying when you’re all talking at once.” They all started talking again, each assuming they should go first. “QUIET!” Jonathon screamed again. “Deputy Director Roberts, you first.” “Well, McFarland, the truth is we don’t know much about what’s happening there.” Roberts explained. “It’s all rather strange. You see, all over town, well, there have been some strange sightings, mostly vandalism. People claim to have seen graffiti appear right before their very eyes. They claim they’ve seen rocks throw themselves through windows. In fact, there’s a case of it right there on your house. Some family across the fence from you reported some graffiti done on the back of the house. They didn’t claim to have seen it appear, just that it was there. But it seems to be connected. You see, it happened right before the reports about the vandalism started coming in. And the words written indicate that it was a test, leading us to believe it’s connected. Now, I’m not saying I believe this, but it is rather strange that multiple reports have come in from different sources. That’s what you’re here to investigate. You have to figure out what exactly is going on here.” “And why is this an FBI operation?” Jonathon asked. “It’s just some vandalism. Sounds like something the local police can handle.” “Not exactly, McFarland.” Senior Special Agent Carlson said in a worried tone. “You see, a week ago there was a car accident.” “So?” Jonathon replied, “Car accidents happen all the time and usually the FBI isn’t called in to investigate.” “Well, this time we’ve decided to investigate, because of something multiple witnesses claimed.” Agent Holmes replied. “You see, the accident was caused because of a punctured tire. The driver lost control of his car after his tire went flat and hit two other cars. The witnesses claim that a knife appeared out of a blue light and punctured the tire. It’s more than just graffiti; it has the potential to be very dangerous.” “I see,” Jonathon replied. “So you want me to look into it and see if these claims are valid.” “Exactly.” Carlson replied. “And, if they are, look into what’s causing them and how to stop it.” “Gotcha.” Jonathon said. “Is that all?” “Yes, that’s all.” Roberts replied “And McFarland. Be careful.” “Aren’t I always?” Jonathon replied, then ended the call.

Questions? Comments? Post 'em here! \:D/

Last edited by The Doctor on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:26 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Strange incidents. The FBI in town. Sounds like the X-Files! \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:49 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!

Chapter 3! \:D/

Chapter 3
Confusion, Revelation, and Suspicion

Jason sat in his room on his bed, thinking about what Jake had told him. He’s bluffing. Trying to get even with me for what I did earlier today. But he wasn’t sure he believed it. There was so much evidence against that theory. First, the most obvious thing: If Jake was trying to scare me he would have written something else, something more menacing. Second, Jake didn’t have time to get it done. I’ve been with him ever since the caramel covered onion prank. Unless…had Jake done it earlier? Maybe yesterday? No, that still doesn’t make sense. Jake didn’t know where I live until today. “So… could it be real?” he said aloud. No, don’t jump to that conclusion. You have no evidence that Jake is telling the truth about how it happened, just that he didn’t do it. For all you know he’s lying about how it happened just to scare you. But the words don’t line up with that theory. Why would anyone write “Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3”? Jason didn’t know, but he intended to find out.

The agent was at his desk working on his filing system when the call came. “Hello. Is this who I think it is?” “You know it is, agent.” said the voice on the other side of the line. “Yeah, I know. What is it?” “We have to talk. Is this line secure?” “I’m afraid not.” The agent replied. “Alright then. Meet me outside tonight at midnight.” “Outside?” the agent replied. “You know what I mean. Tonight at midnight. Be there.” The line went dead.

Jonathon was working on a leaky faucet. He was under the sink, just about to tighten the last bolt, when his cell phone rang. And this was not his regular old cell phone. The ringtone told him that. He had recorded a clip of Deputy Director Roberts screaming “McFarland! What do you think you’re doing, huh?” as his ringtone for his special agency cell phone. “McFarland Janitorial Service, this is Jonathon. How can I help you?” he said, answering the call. “Quit making jokes, McFarland.” Roberts said “This is not a game.” “Yes, sir.” Jonathon replied. “We have some new information, McFarland.” Roberts said. “Are you in a place where you can talk?” “No, but I’m almost done with this job. Could I call you back in a few minutes?” “Make it quick, McFarland.” “Of course, sir” Jonathon replied, then hung up.

The professor was running behind. “No, no, no, no. This was not supposed to happen! Not supposed to happen indeed!” he sighed “I won’t be able to break out tonight. It’s unfortunate, but unavoidable. Unavoidable indeed. I should call the agent and postpone our meeting.” Unfortunately, making a call was an arduous task. He had to hack into the phone’s microchip to use it because they had disabled the phone when they had locked him in here, the fools. But they would pay. They would pay. In fact, he had already gotten his revenge on one of them, the leader, by causing an accident involving his car. He was recovering from a broken leg and a broken arm now. The professor smiled. Soon he would have his revenge on the rest of them too. He began the process of hacking into the phone.

Jonathon was home again now. He picked up his desk phone to call Deputy Director Roberts. He punched in the 11 numbers. Roberts answered on the first ring. “What took you so long, McFarland?” “Sorry, sir, I didn’t realize how far the drive home was. Now, what was that information you were talking about?” “Ah, yes, the information.” Roberts said. “Well, we’ve uncovered something rather odd about Jacksonville’s history.” “Yeah, what’s that?” Jonathon asked. “Well, a couple of years ago there was a mad scientist of sorts who lived there.” Roberts explained. “He caused a rather large fire with one of his experiments and the town didn’t take it very well. Specifically a man named Thomas Reynolds. He got practically the whole town to join him in getting rid of the scientist. However, they were somewhat merciful and didn’t kill him. Rather, they locked him in an old observatory on the edge of town with enough food to survive quite a while. Reynolds has gone back up occasionally to renew the food supply, but other than that, the scientist has been completely undisturbed there for two whole years.” “And what does this have to do with the case?” Jonathon asked. “You remember that car accident I told you about?” Roberts replied. “Well, the owner of the car whose tire was supposedly punctured by a knife that appeared out of nowhere was none other than Thomas Reynolds himself.” “So, you believe the scientist is behind all this and he did that to get revenge on Reynolds.” Jonathon said. “It’s a theory.” Roberts said. “One that needs to be investigated. And that’s exactly what I want you to do.” “Yes, sir.” Jonathon replied. “And thanks for the info. Is that all? I’ve got another call coming in.” “That’s all.” Roberts said. “Alright, talk to you later. Bye.” Jonathon hung up on Roberts and pushed the button to take the other call.

The professor had finally managed to make the call. He held the phone up to his ear, and… got a busy signal. He sighed and began to wait for the agent to end his other call and answer his. 10 seconds later, he heard “Hello?” “There you are. What took you so long?” the professor asked, somewhat annoyed. “Just taking care of some… business.” the agent replied. “Look, there’s something I need to tell you. They know about you. They’re getting suspicious. I knew it was a bad idea for you to cause that accident!” “What do I care if they know?” the professor asked. “In a few days I’ll be ruling this town, and later, the world. And it was most certainly not a bad idea to cause the accident. It makes your job much simpler.” “My job?” the agent asked. “Do you not remember?” the professor asked. “You have to get the key from Reynolds. Once I’ve broken out, I have no way back in. I don’t yet have the ability to reverse the process, you fool!” “Don’t go calling me a fool.” the agent said. “You never would have made it this far without me. I’ll get the key though, alright?” “Get it tonight.” the professor said. “Tonight? But I thought we were meeting tonight.” the agent said. “Oh, I forgot to tell you.” the professor said, “There’s been a setback. I won’t be able to break out tonight. We’re going to have to postpone our meeting to tomorrow night. Bring the key then. Same time, same place.” “Okay, professor.” the agent said. As soon as he had said it, the line went dead.

Questions? Comments? Post 'em here! \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Interesting backstory with the professor; now we know who's behind it and why. But who's this agent? And how will they stop the mad scientist? Looking forward to the next chapter!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 am 
I'll catch up to Bren!

Well, wait no longer! \:D/

Chapter 4
The Next Day…

The next day, in the school cafeteria, Jake approached Jason. “Hey, Jason!” he said, waving. “Oh, hi Jake. What’s up?” Jason replied “Well, some strange stuff, actually. Can we sit down?” “Sure.” Jason said, motioning to an empty table. The two friends sat down. “You’re never going to believe what happened last night.” Jake said, glancing around to make sure no one was listening. “What, more graffiti appearing put of nowhere?” Jason said, rolling his eyes. “No, but it was almost as strange. My house was broken into last night.” Jake replied “And how is that strange?” Jason asked, puzzled “Burglary isn’t unusual, you know.” “I know.” Jake replied “But let me finish. The burglar, or burglars only took one thing, but it wasn’t even something valuable. Just some key. But my dad’s real upset about it. He says it’s the key to the old observatory. You know, the one up on the hill.” “Actually, I don’t know.” Jason said” But that’s beside the point. Why would he be upset about that?” “Because of something that happened about 2 years ago.” Jake replied “He said that he led this big protest against this mad scientist who caused this big fire. Anyways, they locked the scientist up in the observatory.” “Why not jail?” Jason asked “Because the scientist had committed no real crime. The fire was an accident, caused by one of his experiments.” Jake replied “So he’s been imprisoned up there for over 2 years.” “And your dad’s worried that someone stole the key, so they could free the scientist? Why would anyone want to do that?” “To get him to invent something for them.” Jake replied “The scientist may be mad, but he’s also very bright. Dad thinks that if he had an unlimited budget and the right equipment, he could make something very dangerous.” Jake said “Something that someone might even be able to use to take over the world. So if someone were to release the scientist, and get his help, it could be disastrous. Or so Dad says.” So… is that what Dad’s here to investigate? Jason thought. Or is Jake just pulling my leg? “So… do you think the scientist and the graffiti are connected?” Jason asked “Hmm.” Jake said “I hadn’t thought of that. You know, you might be on to something. Alright. I’ve got a plan.” “A… plan?” Jason replied “A plan for what?” “For finding out what’s going on.” Jake replied, grinning. “Here’s what we’ll do: We’ll sneak out tonight. Let’s say… 11:45. We’ll meet at the fence, and we’ll head up there, have a look around. Sound good?” “Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Jason asked “What if your Dad is right? What if the scientist is really dangerous?” “If he’s dangerous now, he’ll only get more dangerous.” Jake replied “Which is why the sooner we go up there the better. Whether you come with me or not, I’m going up there tonight. Are you with me?” “I guess… yeah, I’m with you.” “Good.” Jake replied “11:45 at the fence then.”

Another day, another leaky faucet. Jonathon was back under the sink again, only this time it was his own sink. “Just tighten this last bolt… and… got it!” He got up, and turned on the water, then turned it off again. Not a single drip. “Good then.” Jonathon said to himself, turning away. But as he did, he heard the telltale plink… plink… plink. “Not again!” Jonathon moaned, turning around again. As he was going under the sink, he heard another sound “McFarland! What do you think you’re doing, huh?” he reached for his phone. Then he heard “McFarland, get out from under that sink.” That’s not part of my ringtone. He thought. He came out from under the sink to see Deputy Director Roberts standing over him “Oh!” Jonathon exclaimed “I didn’t know you were in town, sir!” “Well, I am. Is that a problem, McFarland?” Roberts replied “No, not at all, sir.” Jonathon replied. “Have a seat.” he motioned to the kitchen table. The two sat down. “So, why are you here, sir?” Jonathon asked “Because things have just gotten worse, McFarland.” Roberts replied “You see, this morning, two places were robbed.” “And those two places were?” Jonathon asked “The first was Thomas Reynolds’ house. The key to the observatory was stolen. All but proving our theory that the scientist is involved somehow.” Roberts replied “And the second place?” Jonathon asked “A computer parts warehouse.” Roberts replied. “They reported several expensive parts stolen. The techs are going over what these parts could create, and they say they should have a report by tomorrow morning. But there’s something I need you to do tonight.” “And that is?” Jonathon asked “I need you to watch the observatory tonight.” Roberts replied. “We need to know what exactly the professor is working on. See if you can get inside, and take some pictures.” “Okay, I’ll head up there at midnight.” Jonathon said. “Excellent.” Roberts said. “Report to me in the morning.” “Will do.” Jonathon replied “Now, can I get back to fixing that sink?”

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Ooh, sounds like the boys are heading into danger! Hopefully they can stop the mad professor.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:30 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!

Well, here comes danger! \:D/

Chapter 5
Meet Me at Midnight

Jason was in his bed, but he was far from asleep. He had been staring at his alarm clock readout for the past hour and a half. And now the key time had come. 11:30. His alarm clock read. He got out of bed and grabbed his checklist. He scanned the list, each time he read a line, checking his bag. “Flashlight – Check. Rope – Check. Dart Gun – Check.” He smiled as he checked off the last item. There were certain benefits to being an FBI agent’s son. He had gotten this as a present on his 13th birthday. His father never let him touch the poison darts, but gave him access to the knockout darts. “For self-defense only” His father had said. His father knew there was danger, and not only for him. 11:39. The clock now read. Jason grabbed his backpack and went downstairs.

“Flashlight – Check. Gun – Check. Agent I.D. – Check.” Jonathon was ready to go. He was just about to walk out the door when he heard a noise on the stairs. He whipped out his gun. He walked towards the stairs, being careful not to make any noise. He peeked around the corner, and saw nothing in the darkness. Here goes. He thought. He jumped out, turned on his flashlight, and pointed his gun towards the stairs. There, standing like a deer caught in the headlights, was his son. “Jason?” Jonathon said, feeling rather silly. “What are you doing up?” “Just… getting a glass of water… Dad” Jason replied, putting on his best ‘innocent little kid’ face. “I see.” His father said, quite obviously not buying it. “Well, you do that.” “Sure…” Jason said “I will.” Jason walked towards the kitchen. Getting a glass of water, my foot! He’s up to something. Jonathon pulled out his tablet and activated the hidden camera in the kitchen. Jason was indeed getting a glass of water. You’re overreacting, Jonathon. He thought. You’ve gotten so wrapped up in this case, you’re starting to think your own son is mixed up in this conspiracy. He sighed, and waited. Jason came out, said a quick ‘good night’ and went back upstairs. Jonathon grabbed his things, and walked out the door to his car. He got in turned the key, and drove off towards the observatory.

Jake was waiting at the fence. 12:02. His watch read. He’s late. Jake thought I wonder what’s taking him so long. He saw a car pulling out of the driveway. He pulled out his binoculars, and looked straight into the driver’s seat. He saw a man sitting there. Jason’s dad? What was he doing going out so late? I suppose that would explain why Jason’s so late. He thought. Just as he thought it, he saw a figure running towards him. As the figure got closer, he saw that it was Jason. “There you are!” Jake exclaimed “What took you so long?” “I ran into my dad on my way out the door.” Jason said “I guess he was going out on a-” Jason caught himself just in time “errand.” He said, unable to think of anything better. “Anyways, I had to wait for him to leave.” “Ready to go?” Jake asked “Ready when you are.” Jason replied “Then let’s go already!” Jake said. They started walking. “Hey, Jason.” Jake said. “We’re going to observe the observatory.” Jason chuckled. “Real funny, Jake, real funny”

The agent was late. It was 12:07 now. The professor tapped his foot. He hated waiting. “Where is he!?” he practically screamed. “Right here, professor.” said a voice from the bushes. “No need to get all worked up.” “There you are!” The professor said happily. Then he frowned. “You’re late.” “Yeah, and you’re stupid.” The agent replied. “You’re just standing out here. You’re a sitting duck!” “No one knows that I’ve escaped.” The professor replied. “And there’s no reason to suspect it either.” “Yeah, and maybe that’s why I saw two kids coming up here!” the agent replied “And another agent! You’re lucky I scouted this place out, or you’d be finished.” “Now, don’t be silly-” the professor said before being interrupted “Don’t say another word until we’re inside.” The agent said, pulling out a key. He walked over to the door, fitted the key into the lock, and turned it.
He opened the door. “After you.”

The other agent mentioned was now watching the two. Oh, great. Now he can get in and out as he pleases. And is that really… No, it can’t be. But they look exactly alike. How-
The traitor turned his head. It is. thought the other agent. It really is him. But how? Why? No time for that, they’re going inside. The door was closed and locked. I’ve got to report this.

The traitor was inside now, along with the professor. “Here’s your key, professor.” The agent said, handing the key to the professor. “Thank you.” The professor said tersely. “Now, step aside, professor.” The agent said, pushing the professor out of the way. “What are you doing, agent?” the professor asked “The boss wants a report of your progress.” The agent said, pulling out a camera. “Now, where is the machine?” “Right this way.” The professor said, gritting his teeth. He’d get revenge on this “boss” too. The professor stepped forward, and opened a door to another room. He stepped inside, and pulled a tarp off of a large machine. The machine had several wires, sticking out all over the place, into computers, buttons, toggles, switches, and pretty much everything. In the center was a large circular pad, about eight inches thick, with an eighteen inch radius. Out of the center of the pad shone a pale blue light…

“It’s been five minutes, and nothing’s happened.” Jake said. They had arrived after the professor and the agent had gone inside. “Be patient, Jake.” Jason replied. “It’s only been five minutes.” “Yeah, and that’s a long time.” Jake replied, being a very impatient person. “Look, if you can’t handle five minutes of nothing, maybe you should just go home.” Jason replied, rolling his eyes. “You’re acting like a little kid.” Jason hoped Jake would take the hint. He didn’t. “If you stay, I kind of have to stay.” Jake replied, sitting down in the grass. “So… how long are we going to wait?”

“So… is it operational?” the agent asked. “Yes, you know that.” The professor replied. “I’ll need you to demonstrate it for me.” The agent said tersely. “Alright, step onto the pad, please.” The professor replied. “I don’t think so, professor.” The agent said, clearly annoyed. “How do I know you haven’t rigged it? I’m afraid you’ll have to test it yourself.” “Fine.” The professor replied, stepping onto the pad, and into the blue light. He pressed a few buttons, and then said. “Alright, it’s programmed. Are you ready?” “I’ve been ready for the past twenty minutes.” The agent replied, still annoyed. “Alright then.” The professor replied. “In 3, 2, 1.” He pushed a large red button, and disappeared.

Chapter 6
Traitors, Treachery, and Treason

The agent stood there, flabbergasted. It was what he had expected, or rather hoped, to see. But seeing someone disappear before your very eyes can still be rather unnerving. “Looking for someone, agent?” a voice behind him asked. The agent turned to see the professor standing behind him. “So it works?” the agent asked. “Of course it works!” the professor yelled. “I built it, didn’t I? So it must work!” “I see.” The agent replied. “However, I’ll have to verify that it isn’t just a trapdoor or something.” The agent turned and stepped onto the blue pad. “I thought you were scared to use it because you thought I had rigged it.” The professor said mockingly “You’ve used it now.” The agent replied “And you haven’t had a chance to do any reprogramming, so it’s the very same program you just went through. And you’re standing right there, unharmed.” With that, the agent pushed the red button, and disappeared.

The agent saw nothing. Absolutely nothing. It was as if he had been struck blind. He couldn’t even see his hand in front of his face. But slowly, he saw something in front of him. It looked like… What do they call it? He thought. Then he remembered. TV snow. Only in color. Slowly the blank pixels here and there filled in, and he saw where he was. He saw the door form in front of him, and marveled. It worked. It really worked.

Jake had gotten bored(or rather, more bored) and gone home. Jason now sat alone in the bushes near the observatory, watching and waiting. He thought he had seen a flash of blue light a minute ago, but he had had his head turned, watching Jake leave. Now he saw that flash again, only in more detail. First, a circle of blue light appeared. And slowly, a figure took shape. At first, it looked like static on a TV screen, only in color. It slowly solidified into a man. He was tall and slender, wearing a dark suit and sunglasses. He stepped out of the blue light, and it instantly disappeared. The man opened the observatory door, went inside, and closed the door.

“Ah, there you are, agent.” The professor said. “And, what do you think?” “Have you figured out how to reverse the process yet?” the agent asked. “Oh, agent, always the pessimist, aren’t you?” the professor replied. “In answer to your question, yes, I have figured out how to reverse the process. I just haven’t done it yet.” “Well, do it.” The agent demanded. “I’ll be back tomorrow to see and test it.” “Yes, agent.” The professor said. “It will be done.” “Good.” The agent replied. “Now how about making that thing useful and teleporting me home?”

Jonathon sighed. He picked up the phone. He had decided to use his office phone; it was more secure. He dialed the number, and pushed the “send” button. Roberts answered on the first ring. At this, Jonathon was surprised. He had expected Roberts to be asleep, and grumpy about being woken up. “Well, hello there, McFarland.” Roberts said. “Just the little rat I wanted to talk to.” “I have something to report, sir. I saw something strange up at the observatory.” Jonathon said “Yeah, I’ll bet you did. What did you see, the mad scientist’s lips moving?” Roberts said sarcastically. Jonathon was confused at Roberts’ reaction, but went on. “Sir, we have a traitor.” He said. “Oh, really? Why, I’m so surprised. And I think I know exactly who he is.” Roberts said, still sarcastic. “Well, so do I, sir.” Jonathon replied. “I saw Agent Sabinski talking to the scientist.” Roberts was about to spit out some sarcastic reply, Jonathon could tell, when he paused, and then said in a more serious tone: “Well, now that’s interesting.” “What, sir?” Jonathon replied, still rather confused. “Sabinski just called me.” Roberts said. “I sent him up there to spy on the place, too. He said he saw you talking to the scientist.” “What!?” Jonathon said. It was more of a statement than a question. “Yes, I just got off the phone with him, in fact.” Roberts said “But here comes the hard part for me, McFarland. I’ve never said it, and I hope I never say it again: McFarland, I don’t hate you, no matter how much it may seem like it. You’re a good agent. Or, at least you have been. That’s why it’s hard for me to say this.” “What, sir?” Jonathon asked. “Well, you see, this double accusation between you and Agent Sabinski means that at least one of you is definitely guilty. It’s not possible for both of you to be telling the truth. If Sabinski is telling the truth, you’re guilty, meaning you were trying to put blame on Sabinski. If you’re telling the truth, it just reverses. It’s even possible you’ve both turned, and don’t know that you’re on the same side, so you cast blame on each other, even though you’re actually working together.” Roberts explained. “So, since at least one of you is guilty, I have to do this. McFarland, you and Sabinski are both off the case, until further notice. I’m sorry.” The line went dead.

Chapter 7
Deceit

The professor sighed. The task set before him was difficult, if not impossible. To successfully reverse the process in only 24 hours. He decided to go out for a breath of fresh air. He grabbed the key, unlocked the door, and walked out. “Ahhh” He smiled, enjoying the cool summer night.

Jason had seen the blue light again, this time shooting upwards from the center of the observatory, looking like a pale blue beacon. This time, no one had appeared, or at least, not that he could see. He glanced at his watch. It now read: 1:18. It’s getting late. He thought. I’d better get home. He turned to catch one more glimpse of the observatory, and saw a man standing near the door. He was short, with wild, unkempt white hair. He sported a scruffy white moustache, and a small, surprisingly neat beard. He wore a white lab coat stained with years of chemicals and explosions. The scientist? Jason thought. He settled in to stay a little longer.

The professor caught a glimpse of a movement in the grass out of the corner of his eye. He held his position, but turned his head just slightly to watch the spot where he had seen the movement. A few seconds later, he saw it again. This time, he caught a glimpse of a figure crouching in the tall grass. He turned and walked back inside.

Jason sighed. The scientist was gone now, so he might as well go home. There was nothing more to see here tonight. Perhaps he would come back the next night. He stood up and turned towards the road. He was about to walk towards it when he stopped, shocked. He saw the blue light again. Only this time, it was right in front of him.

The professor smiled as he materialized. He knew this boy standing in front of him. He was one of the two boys he had seen on the camera, looking at the test. Too nosy for his own good. He thought. But maybe I can use that…

Jason knew who was materializing in front of him, and knew he should have been more careful. He reached inside his bag and pulled out the dart gun. The scientist had fully materialized now. “Now let’s not be hasty, my dear boy. Don’t get too trigger-happy.” He said “Because if you do, I might get trigger-happy too.” The professor pulled out a gun of his own. “Now then.” He said “Let’s get right down to business. There’s no need for introductions, I know who you are, and you know who I am.” “You-you know who I am?” Jason asked, surprised. “Oh, but of course.” The professor replied “You are Jason McFarland, son of the famous undercover FBI agent Jonathon McFarland. And I’d like to talk to you about him, if you don’t mind.” “You’re the one with the gun.” Jason said sarcastically. “Haha, quite right, my boy. Though I’d rather not use it. I’m not a killer.” The professor said, smiling. “Oh, you aren’t?” Jason replied “Then why’d you cause that accident Jake’s dad was in a few days ago with your blue light thingy? Yeah, he told me about that.” “That was not me, my boy. Allow me to explain, will you?” the professor said. “Once again, you’re the one holding the gun, why are you asking me?” Jason said “You are the sarcastic one, aren’t you?” the professor said. “Now, let’s go inside and-” “No.” Jason interrupted. “I’m not going anywhere with you.” “Please, give me a chance, dear boy.” The professor said. “And don’t forget… I’m the one holding the gun.” He said this last part jokingly, but it was taken seriously. Jason smiled, and gestured towards the observatory. “After you.” “Oh no, after you my dear boy.” The professor replied. “No.” Jason said. “I’m not turning my back on you for one second.” “And I am not turning my back on you for one second, my boy.” The professor replied. “Well, how about this for a solution?” Jason said “We walk up next to each other, with no one’s back to anyone.” And in this manner, they walked up towards the observatory.

Inside the observatory, Jason turned towards the professor. “Now.” He said “Explain.” “I am not who you think I am. I’m not an evil mad scientist. I work for the greater good of mankind.” The professor said, and then continued. “My invention was built for good. But someone has hacked into its system. They’re the ones who have done the graffiti, and the ones who caused the accident. They are evil, and must be stopped. I received an e-mail yesterday saying that tomorrow at midnight, they will unleash the machine to the full extent of its power, and that will be disastrous.” “Why not just destroy the machine?” Jason asked “What!?” the professor yelled “Do you know how long I have worked on that machine? Two. Whole. Years. Of course, if comes to it, I will destroy the machine, but I’d like to at least try to stop them and save my work.” “And how do you propose to do that?” Jason asked “I have a plan.” The professor said. “I’ve discovered a way I can block them from using the machine. But there’s a problem.” “And that is?” Jason asked. “Time.” The professor said. “I can’t finish it in time. At least… not alone.” “You want me to help you.” Jason said. “Exactly.” The professor replied. “Two questions.” Jason said “One, if it’s a teleportation device, how did the spray paint can and the knife move after they had been teleported?” he asked “And two, why should I trust you? How are you going to prove yourself to me?” “Technically, that’s three.” The professor said “But the answer to your first question is: I believe that those objects were moved via remote control after they were teleported. The answer to your second and third questions is: By giving you this.” The professor said, holding out his hand. In it was the gun. He handed it to Jason. “Please.” He said. Jason sighed. “Show me what you want done. And explain how it works. If your explanation is good enough, I’ll help you.” “Thank you, Jason.” The professor said. “The blueprints are over here.”

Last edited by The Doctor on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Point A to Point B - Chapter 7 released!
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:20 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

He, cool twist. The mad scientist isn't actually evil!
Please continue. :)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Point A to Point B - Chapter 9 released!
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!

Apparently, you didn't read the chapter's title. ;)

Chapter 8
Betrayal

Jason was by the machine, screwdriver in one hand, gun in the other. The professor had offered a pretty convincing explanation, but Jason still wasn’t sure he trusted him. He unscrewed a few screws, and removed a panel from the side of the machine. He looked inside, and then looked at the blueprint. The professor handed him a microchip. Jason took it, but when he looked inside the machine, there was no place to screw it in. “Where does it go?” he asked the professor “Right where the blueprint says it goes.” The professor said absent-mindedly. “There’s nowhere to screw it in there.” He replied “Oh?” the professor said, coming closer. “Oh, that one! Yes, we’ll have to solder that one in.” “Okay, where’s the soldering gun?” “Right here.” The professor said, handing it to him. “You’ll need two hands though.” Jason sighed and very cautiously set the gun on the floor. He lifted the soldering gun, put the chip into place, and soldered it in. He glanced at his watch. 4:02 AM!? He thought. I gotta get home! “Look, I have to go home and get some sleep.” He said to the professor, picking up the gun “Tomorrow- I guess technically it’s today- is Saturday. I’ll come back then, okay?” “Okay.” The professor said, unlocking the door for him.

5 hours later…

Jason walked down the stairs, looking like he hadn’t gotten a single second of sleep. And in fact, he hadn’t. He wandered into the kitchen, and saw his mother at the stove, making pancakes. He stood in the doorway, as if in a trance, watching her flip them up into the air over and over. She turned, and saw him standing in the doorway. “Jason!” she cried “What’s wrong? Are you sick? Didn’t you get any sleep last night?” “Nothing, Mom. No, Mom. No, Mom.” Jason said, answering each question in turn. He walked towards the dining room, grabbing a plate of pancakes on his way through the kitchen. He sat down at the table. Everything was already set out. The syrup, the butter, everything. He buttered his pancakes and began to pour syrup on them. A minute later, his mother walked in to find him with his face in his pancakes, asleep, and still pouring syrup- all over his head. “Jason!” she cried again, running over. She shook him awake. “Wha?” he asked, half asleep. Then he realized what had happened. He went to the sink and washed off his face, making sure to use cold water, to wake himself up a little. Then he went back and ate his pancakes, even though they had too much syrup. Then he went up to his room, got the gun, and slipped out the front door.

When he got to the observatory, the professor was waiting. “Ah! There you are!” he said, smiling. “I was worried you had deserted me.” They went inside, and got to work. Jason was screwing a panel back on, when he remembered something. “Last night, you said you wanted to talk to me about my father.” Jason said. “Oh… yes.” The professor replied. “I was hoping we wouldn’t get to that subject.” “Why?” Jason asked “Because… because I have some very… disturbing news about your father.” The professor replied. “And that is?” Jason asked, not sure he really wanted to know. “Well, I have reason to believe… that your father… is one of the people who hacked my machine.” “You’re crazy.” Jason said “You’re telling me that my father wants to destroy the world with your machine?” “Yes.” The professor said. “I’m so sorry, Jason.” “So… what’s your reason?” Jason asked “Come here a moment.” The professor said, walking over to the computer. He opened a web browser and his e-mail. “The message came from an anonymous address. But I was able to decrypt it. And this is the email address it came from.” He opened the e-mail. The sender was… “jmcfarland@007.com!?” Jason said, surprised “But that’s…” “Your father’s e-mail address, I know. That’s how I found out.” The professor said “Shocking, isn’t it?” “Yeah…” Jason said. He turned away from the computer and back to his work, wanting to think about anything except what the professor had just told him. The professor smirked. I’m such a good liar.

In another two hours, Jason was done. “Thank you, my boy.” The professor said. “You’ve likely just saved the world.” “From my father.” Jason replied. “I know” the professor said “I can’t imagine what you must be thinking right now. All those times he wanted to keep you out of things… it was just so you wouldn’t discover his other side. I’m sorry.” Jason sighed. “Goodbye. I’ll come back tonight to see how things work out.” He said, turning to walk out the door. When he was gone, the professor grinned. “Oh yes.” He said “You’ll be back.”

Jason walked through the front door, and slipped up to his room. He grabbed his laptop and turned it on. He opened up an e-mail client to make a new e-mail address. Username: Betrayed. A popup window opened. Username already in use. Please try another username. He sighed. He could choose another name, such as youbetrayedme or betrayedbyyou, but betrayed sounded so much better. Just one simple word, but it said all that needed to be said. He tried another client. Taken. Another one. Already in use. This happened four more times before he finally found one where the name was available. He made the address. Then he logged in and typed a new e-mail. Why did you turn? Why would you do this to me? It read. “Send.” Jason said aloud.

Midnight…
“There you are.” The professor said. “Come in, come in.” He opened the door, and the agent walked in. “Well, have you reversed the process?” the agent asked “Yes.” The professor replied “Come, come, I’d like you to be here for its very first test.” “You haven’t tested it yet!?” the agent screamed. “Call it a slight inconvenience for the sake of irony.” The professor replied. “I see.” The agent replied. “Say, what’s that cage over there for? It wasn’t here last night.” “Oh that.” The professor said “You’ll see.” “I don’t want any funny business, professor.” The agent said, scowling. “And there will be none.” The professor replied. He keyed in a few numbers, and then smiled. “It’s all ready.” he said “Would you like to do the honors?” “I’d love to.” The agent replied, and then he pushed the button.

The alarm went off. Jason turned it off and climbed out of bed. He was about to grab his backpack when it happened. It was sudden, and happened very quickly. There was a flash of blue light. And at the very center of the light… was Jason. He disappeared.

Jason saw black. Cold, hard black. And nothing but it. Slowly, he began to be able to make out a fuzzy picture. And that’s when he knew. He’d been fooled. The picture before him was the observatory he’d spent nearly 7 hours in earlier that day. But he saw it from a different perspective. He saw the observatory, and the professor, and the man he had seen materialize the night before. But he saw it through a set of cold metal bars. “And that, agent,” he heard the professor say “is what the cage is for.”

Chapter 9
Stolen

Jason stared. He had been so stupid! Why had he trusted him? He had been a total fool. He glared at the man who had so cleverly fooled him. “Oh, Jason, don’t be like that!” the professor said, grinning. “All’s fair in love and villainy, I suppose.” He chuckled and walked slowly and purposefully over to the cage. “Well, I suppose you’d like an explanation, wouldn’t you?” the professor said. “I really must thank you, Jason. I couldn’t have done this without you.” “You are not welcome” Jason muttered “What’s that you say?” the professor asked mockingly “‘you’re very welcome’? Why thank you. My, you certainly are a good sport. A very good sport indeed.” Jason said nothing. “Now, then. Would you like to know what you’ve enabled me to do?” the professor asked. “No.” Jason replied. “Well, too bad, because I’m going to tell you anyways.” Jason wished he had kept his mouth shut. “You see, that invention of mine is a teleportation device.” The professor said “And before your help, it could only send something- or someone- to somewhere. Now, thanks to you, it can bring something- or someone- to you. That’s what you experienced just a few minutes ago.” “And who’s your partner over there?” Jason asked casually “I’m not going to tell you just yet.” The professor said “But I will tell you that he is an agent with the FBI, and a well liked one at that. They’ll be so disappointed to hear that he’s turned.” “What if I don’t believe you?” Jason replied “That’s your choice.” The professor said. “But I promise you that it is true.” “What, on your mad scientist’s honor?” Jason quipped “I seem to remember another promise you made recently, and that one didn’t turn out to be so true, now did it?” “You certainly do have a sense of humor.” The professor said. “We’ll see if you’re still making wisecracks while I’m taking over the world.” “Take over the world with a teleportation device?” Jason said “How do you do that?” “Well, it’s very simple, Jason.” The professor replied, glad Jason had asked the question- he wanted another chance to gloat- “You see, Jason, I can steal any item I wish, kidnap any person I wish, just as I did with you tonight. And I plan to do just that. Important and valuable objects, world leaders, all beginning to disappear...” the professor grinned “How about a demonstration?” he said, grinning even wider. “What do you think, object or person? I would personally prefer an object, we’ve already done one kidnapping tonight.” “I beg to differ.” The agent replied “A sudden disappearance of a world leader- or someone very rich or important- would shock the world- and be the perfect way to demonstrate the machine’s power- right off the bat.” “You make a good point, agent.” The professor said “But I still believe an object would be better- the cage is full at the moment.” “We could fix that.” The agent said, pulling a gun out of his jacket. “No, not yet, agent. Just be patient. All things in good time, as they say.” The professor said “This demonstration is for him, after all.” “I suppose” the agent said, putting the gun away. “Now then.” The professor said “What should we steal? The Statue of Liberty would be nice, but we don’t have the space for that. Hmm… How about that Van Gogh… you know, the one with the blue background, the yellow blobs, and that black tower thing?” “The Starry Night, you mean?” the agent replied “Yes, that’s the one! I’ve never been real fond of it, but it’s valuable!” the professor said. He walked over to a computer- it hadn’t been there earlier that afternoon; the agent must have brought it- and connected to the internet. He did a few searches, then plugged a thumb drive into the computer, transferred a file, and pulled it out. He walked over to the machine, and plugged the thumb drive into the computer that controlled it. “Now, all I need to do is give the computer the coordinates of its general location and a picture of the item, and it does the rest. Pretty cool, eh?” the professor said, grinning once again. He transferred the file onto the computer, and keyed in the coordinates. “Ready or not, here it goes!” he cried. He smiled, and hit ENTER. Jason saw the machine in action for the very first time. A blue light beamed out of it, then disappeared for a few moments. And then it came back. The painting materialized. The professor threw back his head and laughed. Jason stood in the cage, a sick expression on his face. The professor had just stolen an item worth millions of dollars in no more than five minutes. “You see, Jason?” the professor said, holding the painting under his arm. “With this device, I can rule the world.”

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:01 pm 
All That Is Sam.
All That Is Sam.
You'll find me where fantasy meets reality.

Cash: 363.31
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (2)
Wonderfully fantastic! \:D/ (You're tired of awesome. :P )

I really like where your book has been going. It's details are absolutely incredible, and it's constantly thickening and twisting plot has kept me completely on edge since chapter 1! (And since you have 15 chapters now.. :- ) The way you draw out each character and their emotions is something I could never dream of being able to do, much less do so well. :P

Sooooo... Hurry up and finish it already! :x

;)

Offline Profile  

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!

And... Chapter 10, peoples! I've written all the way out to Chapter 18 now, and I should be finished before too long. :)

Chapter 10
Gone

There is certain grief felt when a loved one goes missing or is kidnapped. This is somewhat intensified if you happen to be a secret agent, because you know it is likely all your fault. It is, however, even more intensified if you've lost your security clearance with the FBI, so there isn't anything you can do about it. This is the grief that Jonathon McFarland felt on this morning. And grief wasn’t the only thing he felt. He also had the sick feeling of helplessness. This was a new feeling to Jonathon. Until now, he had been Jonathon McFarland, secret agent, the one who protected the world from all the villains out there. Now, he was Jonathon McFarland, suspected traitor, who couldn’t even protect his own family. He sighed. Everything had happened so fast. He had been on the case for less than a week now, and already he had been kicked off the case, and his son had been kidnapped. And there was nothing he could do. He was now sitting on his son’s bed, his arm wrapped around his wife’s shoulders, which were shaking as she cried. There he was, completely helpless. And what could he do? Nothing. He had called the 911 that morning after Emily had discovered Jason was gone and they had searched the house for him. That had been an interesting conversation…

“Hello, this is 911, what is your emergency?”
“My name is Jonathon McFarland. I live at 46 Mockingbird Lane. My son has been kidnapped. Send the police over right away.”
“Now, calm down, sir. Now tell me, is it possible your son has run away?”
“No, ma’am. Look, it’s a long story. I’m an FBI agent. I believe that’s the reason my son was kidnapped.”
“Then why don’t you call the FBI?”
“That’s another long story. Look, could you please just send the police over?”
“Have you tried calling friends and relatives in the area?”

Jonathon had had enough at that point. He had hung up the phone in frustration. It was at times like this that he looked to his wife Emily for support. But she was just as distraught as he was. He looked up as there was a knock on the open door of the room. Somehow, Deputy Director Roberts had gotten into the house. There he stood, all 6’ 3” and 230 pounds of him. “McFarland.” He said, tipping his hat. “Roberts.” Jonathon said, standing up. “How dare you show your face here? You no doubt know exactly what’s happened. And you have the audacity… to show up here. I’m not even on the case! Can’t you just leave me in peace!?” “I’m… sorry, McFarland.” Roberts replied. “I have some… information you should know.” Jonathon looked up, fear in his eyes. “Jason…” “No, Jonathon.” Roberts said. “No, no, it’s not about Jason. It’s about the case.” “The case?!” Jonathon said. “You show up at my house, knowing that my son has been kidnapped, to talk about the case? I’m not even on the case!” “Well, actually,” Roberts replied “you’re back on the case, should you choose to accept it.” “Why is that?” Jonathon said. “I’m working with that mad scientist guy, remember?” this last part he said rather sarcastically “Sabinski’s dropped off the grid.” Roberts said. “He’s disappeared. And the kidnapping of your son seems to indicate that you’re not involved.” “Well, isn’t that a surprise?” Jonathon said. “I’m not the traitor! Did you hear that, Emily? I’m not a traitor!” He turned to Roberts. “Thank you for that, Roberts. You’ve just made my day!” It was at this point that everything hit Jonathon. The kidnapping of his son, the helplessness he felt, everything. He began to cry. He slammed the door in Roberts’ face, and locked it. His decision was final. He was done with Roberts, Sabinski, and the lot of them. He was done. He had closed the door not just on Roberts, but on his life as a spy. He was done.

Jonathon had recovered some now. And he had decided that even though he didn’t want to be involved with the FBI anymore, he needed them in order to get Jason back. Roberts had information on the case that might help him find Jason. But then again, maybe not I don’t need them. He got out his laptop. He had gotten the information that Sabinski was the traitor. Now to see if there was anything else. But first…he checked his e-mail. He hadn’t checked since he had been put off the case. He opened the tab, and typed in his username and password. And there it was. Right on the top of the list. An e-mail from betrayed@betrayal.com, with the subject line “Why?” He opened it. The text inside was short and definitely not sweet. “Why did you turn? Why would you do this to me?” He sighed. As an FBI agent, he could find out who had sent the e-mail. He tracked the e-mail, and the IP address it had come from. Of course, it had come from his own son’s IP address. “Great.” He said aloud “Not only has my son disappeared, he doesn’t trust either!” he screamed. Wait. No. Jason’s e-mail was all the more reason to find him. If he didn’t trust his father… he’d just have to prove himself. He sighed. “Okay.” He opened an FBI program. It monitored reports from every intelligence agency in the world, as well as public news. He crossed his fingers. It would only work if his status had been reinstated. We’re sorry. The words on his screen said. Your account is currently inactive. If you believe this to be an error, please contact your superior. “Darn.” Jonathon said aloud. He shook his fist. “Alright.” He said, calming down. “Fine. I’ll just do this myself.”

Three hours later…

Jonathon had gotten nowhere. He had been using his browser’s news function. He had searched local news for “blue light”. Only the incidents he already knew about. The vandalism and the accident. Then he had searched world news. He had given up after page 11. His wife sat behind him. “Honey, maybe you should talk to Roberts. I know you don’t like it, but…” “No.” He snapped. “I can do this on my own.” He needed a more specific search term. And then it dawned on him. Everything fit. The vandalism, the accident, both had been caused by this mysterious blue light. And not just by the blue light, but something appearing out of the blue light. And there was only one explanation for it. “Teleportation.” He said aloud. “What?!” his wife said, shocked. “You’re kidding, right?” “No.” Jonathon replied “I’m not. It all fits. That’s what the mad scientist has been working on! A teleportation device!” he typed in the words “blue light teleportation” into the world news search engine. And there it was. The top result. “New York, United States – ‘Starry Night’ by Vincent Van Gogh stolen by blue light” Was the headline. Jonathon clicked on it and began to read…

The Starry Night, a famous painting by Vincent Van Gogh, disappeared last night from the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Witnesses claim they saw a blue light coming from the museum at about 12:30 AM. No alarms were triggered at the museum, nor were they disabled. Video footage of the museum reveals that the blue light seen was right on the painting. It then disappeared, along with the painting. The question is: What caused this mysterious blue light? Some kind of teleportation device?

That was all Jonathon needed to read. He had figured out all he needed to. And he knew what he needed to do.

Comments? \:D/

Last edited by The Doctor on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Point A to Point B - Chapter 10 released!
Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:10 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

I enjoyed this chapter very much. The way you portrayed Jonathan's reactions to his son being kidnapped seemed very realistic. I'm glad he figured out what was going on, and I hope he will find Jason soon. (sounds a little familiar to me right now. :) )

next chapter, please. :)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Point A to Point B - Chapter 10 released!
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:16 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!

In celebration of the completion of Chapter 19, and passing 20,000 words, here's Chapter 11! \:D/

Chapter 11
Help

The doorbell rang. “Get that please, will ya, Jake?” a voice came from inside. It was the voice of Thomas Reynolds, the man who had imprisoned the professor nearly two years earlier. The door opened. “Hello, Mr. McFarland.” Jake said, seeing who was at the door. “What are you doing here?” “I need to speak to your father.” Jonathon replied. “Is he home?” “Uh… yeah.” Jake said, worried he was in trouble for what he and Jason had done two nights before. “Dad! It’s for you!” he yelled. He hurried back into the house and upstairs to his room. “Come on in!” the voice yelled “I’ve been expecting you.” Jonathon stepped into the house. At the end of the hallway there was a living room. In the middle of it sat a man in a large armchair, a crutch leaning against it. His left arm was in a sling, and his right leg in a cast. “You’ve been expecting me? How?” Jonathon asked “Call it the tricks of a professional computer hacker.” The man said “I know who you work for, and why you’re here. And I can tell you right now, your suspicions are right. Professor Hammack is the one behind this.” “I’ve all but proven that already.” Jonathon said. “I went and spied on him one night. I saw him meeting with a fellow agent of mine. We believe he’s turned.” “I assume you mean Charles Sabinski” the man said “Yes.” Jonathon replied. “And I assume you know about The Starry Night already.” “Of course” Thomas said, smiling. “And I also know that our friend has made a teleportation device. And that’s why your son has disappeared. And yes, I know about that as well.” “You certainly get around.” Jonathon said “Roberts made a report a few minutes ago.” Thomas replied. “Of course he did.” Jonathon said “May I see the report?” “Certainly.” Thomas picked up a laptop sitting on a table beside his chair and gave it to Jonathon. A report was up on the screen.

Jonathon McFarland’s son has disappeared. He is believed to have been kidnapped by Professor Julius Hammack. Professor Hammack is believed to be behind the vandalism in Jacksonville, as well as the accident involving his old nemesis, Thomas Reynolds. He is also suspected to have stolen The Starry Night, a famous painting by Vincent Van Gogh. All of these incidents were caused by a mysterious blue light. Jason(Jonathon’s son) disappeared last night, presumably the same way The Starry Night did. McFarland won’t be returning, of that much I am sure.

Jonathon stopped reading. “He’s got that right.” He said. “I won’t be returning.” “I know you don’t like the idea.” Reynolds said “But having their help might be useful.” “No.” Jonathon replied. “I won’t go back to them. They don’t care about my son. All they care about is their stupid case! Well, this is one case they’re going to have to manage without me.” “Alright, that’s your decision.” Reynolds said. “So, what’s your plan?” “I don’t have one.” Jonathon admitted. “Up until now, I just figured I’d storm the place. You know, get in there, get Jason, and get out. But now I realize it’s more complicated than that.” “Indeed it is.” Reynolds replied “For one thing, how would you get in? The door is presumably locked, and the professor has the key. For another, and I know you don’t want to admit this, Jonathon, but for all you know, Jason could be dead.” “I know.” Jonathon said “I know.” He sighed. “What do you suggest?” Reynolds smiled. “Here’s what we’ll do…”

“Alright, Jason.” The professor said. He unlocked the cage door, holding a gun in his hand. “We’re going to be kidnapping someone else now, so we need to… clean out the cage, shall we say.” This last part the professor said in a menacing voice, like an executioner leading a boy to his death. Jason knew that was likely what the professor was right now. Reluctantly, he stepped out of the cage. The professor put the gun to his back and pushed him along. The agent followed. They arrived in a back room with two doors. The one they had just come through and another one, with no indication of where it led. Here the professor stopped. “Now then.” He said. “I have some kidnapping to do, and I hate the sight of blood, so I’ll leave you to our agent friend here. Jason scowled at the professor. “Goodbye, Jason.” He said sweetly. ‘It’s been awful knowing you. With that, he handed the gun to the agent, turned, and left the room. The agent smiled. “Right this way, please.” He said, opening the other door for Jason. Jason walked in reluctantly. He was in a room that seemed to be made of glass. He could see the professor in the main room, now typing in the coordinates of whoever he was kidnapping. “You know, the man we’re kidnapping today is someone you might know.” The agent said “His name is Thomas Reynolds. He’s Jake Reynolds’ father. The professor has just a bit of a grudge against him. He’s the one who locked him up here in the first place, you know.” The agent paused “Yeah, he won’t be in the cage long.” The agent turned to Jason. “Kinda like you.” He said, smiling. “Now then, let’s get this over with, shall we?” he grinned.

Two minutes later, the agent came back into the main room. “Is it finished?” the professor asked “Indeed.” The agent said, grinning. “Good.” The professor said. “And you’re just in time to help me kidnap Thomas Reynolds- and of course… kill him.” The professor now wore a grin as well. “Would you like to the honors?” the professor asked “You do it this time.” The agent replied. “This is your score to settle.” “Yes.” The professor said “And yours will be settled as well, agent. Very soon.” The agent grinned wider at this. The professor now grinned wider as well. After two years of plotting his revenge, it came down to this: a single push of a button. He lifted his hand high, his index finger pointing at the button, and then he slowly brought it down. His finger came in contact with the button. The blue light beamed up out of the machine and was gone. In just a few moments, Thomas Reynolds would disappear- forever.

Last edited by The Doctor on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next