[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:07 am 
Miss Whit's End
Happily married to the love of my life :inlove:

Cash: 10.42
Bank: 0.00
It's rather interesting, but my mom and I were just disscussing this this morning. As most of you know, I will be in the States next summer. And, my mom's side of the family will be having a family reunion very near to where Jonathan lives. So, naturally, I asked my mom if I could go do something with Jonathan. I say naturally, because I would say that I have a much closer relationship with Jonathan (and everyone else on the board, not just him!) than with my cousins. I would say that I know you guys better. I hardly every have any contact to any of my cousins, and yet, I have contact to most of you every day.

So, to me, it would seem obvious, that, when you spend so much time with people, your emotions do get involved. Like, if any of you were to die now, I would be very shocked and, very sad. I would feel like one of my closest friends died, because that is how I see you. As some of my closest friends.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:16 am 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
Evil Chick wrote:
Like, if any of you were to die now, I would be very shocked and, very sad. I would feel like one of my closest friends died, because that is how I see you. As some of my closest friends.

Hmm...

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:48 am 
Dungeon Master

Cash: 65.80
Bank: 933.17
Robert Mitchell wrote:
Eugene Blackgaard wrote:
Do you say the same thing about your Grandma when she writes to you? Do you call her "just words"? If she drew a smiley face would you say she has no real emotion?

Let's say you were to text message a friend with your cell phone.

This doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I find text messaging with cell phones utterly useless. But that's beyond the point.

Robert Mitchell wrote:
Your talking and then pops up a smiley.

*Pause story*

I said previously that smileys are the only virtual emotion you have and you can't really express yourself by it.

I disagree. Smilies, in a messageboard setting, can set the tone for the whole post. Like if you are saying something in jest, then ;) would be very appropriate; it lets the person know you are kidding so they can laugh with you instead of getting mad at you.

I've got a friend (from where I grew up, for the record, so don't say anything about him being virtual) who was a mod on a messageboard. For some unknown reason, the admins got rid of every normal smiley, and many misunderstandings and even heated discussions ensued that could've been prevented. While it is just a smiley, it too can have an effect. To say that it doesn't is saying you completly ignore them.

Robert Mitchell wrote:
*Continue story*

Your still talking and when you decide you should meet your friend who is text messaging.

*Pause and end story*

This is different I (We) don't have as much as a chance to see you in person. The only way I know you is through this. So, when grandma adds a smiley in her letter it isn't "just text" it something to say "hi" But, when it comes down to it you have a larger chance of seeing her.

While this is certainly true, that you have more of a chance of meeting someone you already know in 'real life', your point fails to stand up to ours; that it (our interaction here) isn't just text. As I already pointed out, even smileys can have a great effect. Words have meaning, and can very easily convey emotion, though not as effectively sometimes as in real life.

Let's use the ultimate example; the Bible. It is fair to say that none of us have met Jesus face to face in the literal sense, or God. He resides within us spiritually, but we've never seen him on this earth. Yet, the Bible is God's word given to us; and there are many emotions that are conveyed in it. It isn't just text.

All this to say, I still stand by my earlier arguement; the written word is a powerful thing.

-Jonathan

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:59 pm 
I spam the HH. A lot

Cash: 0.00
Robert Mitchell wrote:
Barely Is wrote:
But RM, was that a happy poem, or a sad, guilt trip making poem?

It depends on how you want to take it.

Robert Mitchell wrote:
You talk to friends,
but they have no emotion.
All they can give is smileys.

Barely Is wrote:
And my friends on here aren't virtual.

My Dad one stated:

"They have no emotion, they can't feel sorry for you. It's just text."

There's my point. This is virtual talking. I don't know you, and the emotions you give are smilies.

I find it hard to believe that I have little virtual people living inside my comptuer who are posting these messages. I would think that living breathing humans are doing it. :D

But RM, there's something different about this board, and that's the reason that makes me want to meet certain people here: The majority of people who post more here or were some of the first members are Christians. All Christians are part of the family of Christ, therefore, we do "know" each other, and certainly will meet one day! All the people I would most like to meet have shown themselves to be people who truly love the Lord, and I count them among my friends for that reason, if I don't count them among my family.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:12 am 
Got Pancakes?

Cash: 295.90
Bank: 0.00
Evil Chick wrote:
It's rather interesting, but my mom and I were just disscussing this this morning. As most of you know, I will be in the States next summer. And, my mom's side of the family will be having a family reunion very near to where Jonathan lives. So, naturally, I asked my mom if I could go do something with Jonathan. I say naturally, because I would say that I have a much closer relationship with Jonathan (and everyone else on the board, not just him!) than with my cousins. I would say that I know you guys better. I hardly every have any contact to any of my cousins, and yet, I have contact to most of you every day.

So, to me, it would seem obvious, that, when you spend so much time with people, your emotions do get involved. Like, if any of you were to die now, I would be very shocked and, very sad. I would feel like one of my closest friends died, because that is how I see you. As some of my closest friends.

Very good point. I agree completly. It's the same way with my cousens and some people on here.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:03 pm 
Re-elect the Town Council!
is playing Super Mario. She never had a game system like this growing up!

Cash: 1.04
Bank: 220.06
Blog: View Blog (1)
I think since humans are posting, writing, and basically talking on this board, of course there is emotion involved! Every time you read a post, you get a feel for what the person was thinking then they wrote it. I think emotions do bleed through writing. You can read something someone wrote about or to you and feel insulted or happy or annoyed. I think posts also invoke emotions. But I think your main point is, this is a message board, we should have lives off of this too.

Offline Profile  

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2