Thought provoking books

Things that fall under the "1984" and "Animal Farm" political/socialital problems.

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Or that tragic tale of the lady who they forced an abortion on when she was 8 months pregnant. :mecry: The healthy baby boy was born alive and the nurse did everything in her power to get them to let him leave (even offering to adopt him as her one child) but they refused and left him to die. :(
I'm pretty sure I heard this on Focus on the Family. :anxious:
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

My aunt adopted a baby from China...and we heard this story during the adoption process: A couple had a baby girl and didn't want it...so they abandoned her by the side of the road. Well, another couple found it and brought it to the police station (which is apparently where people bring abandoned babies) so that it could live. The police got really mad at them and shouted "Why did you bring it back? The parents wanted it to die...respect their wishes! You shouldn't have brought it back!" And they didn't accept the child, so...it was left to die. :mecry:
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

But we in such a civilized nation like America would never kill a child like that! :roll:
Fletcher
Hexadecimal teenager
Location: Smallville, Kansas, with regular commutes to Odyssey, Ohio

Post by Fletcher »

Loved by God, is the book you're reading written by Orson Scott Card? The "two-child" policy sounds suspiciously like a plot device in his excellent novel "Ender's Game."
EUGENE IS BACK!!!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Nope. The author's name is Margaret Peterson Haddix. The books are called: Among the Hidden, Among the Imposters, and Among the Betrayed.
They are classified as Junior Fiction books.

I finished those and now I'm reading Brave New World. It's an adult book and a little less savory.

EDIT: I finished A Brave New World and wouldn't you know, the almost main character dies in the end! HORRIBLE. I hate it when books end like this, the situation never gets fixed! For once, why can't the main character change the situation for the better? What exactly are the authors trying to do to us? Warn us? I have read so many books about cloning recently, seriously. Actually, most of them have the underlying theme of starvation because of an overpopulated earth. The bad stuff in the new civilizations happens because people don't want others to starve. In a book I just finished today called "The house of the Scorpion" it was the same thing. A clone created for body parts for a evil drug lord. The thing is, he's raised pretty well most of his life because this drug guy wants him to have a "normal" childhood.

Do you think clones (will there ever be real human adult clones?) will be considered sub-human? Would God let humanity slip that far down the moral slope?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Freelancer47
Just visiting

Post by Freelancer47 »

I've noticed that Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury hasn't been mentioned. That's quite shocking, since it's one of my favorites. It's about a world where literature isn't allowed, people have to find entertainment by television and social events alone. A world where "firemen" start fires by burning books rather than put them out. It's very interesting, and I would highly recommend it. It's not that long of a book, an easy read, but it will definitely make you think.
A happy ending is a story that hasn't finished yet.
There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Freelancer47 wrote:I've noticed that Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury hasn't been mentioned. That's quite shocking, since it's one of my favorites. It's about a world where literature isn't allowed, people have to find entertainment by television and social events alone. A world where "firemen" start fires by burning books rather than put them out. It's very interesting, and I would highly recommend it. It's not that long of a book, an easy read, but it will definitely make you think.
Sounds interesting. Maybe I should read it.
Freelancer47
Just visiting

Post by Freelancer47 »

Definitely! And if you do, let me know what you thought!
There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I remember trying to read that when I was a lot younger. Yes, it was an interesting premise, but I hate the thought of outlawing books! Worse than cloning! I'm kidding, I'm just saying I LOVE books.

I'll read it.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Freelancer47
Just visiting

Post by Freelancer47 »

LovedbyGod wrote:I remember trying to read that when I was a lot younger. Yes, it was an interesting premise, but I hate the thought of outlawing books! Worse than cloning! I'm kidding, I'm just saying I LOVE books.

I'll read it.
Me too! I think that's why the book appeals to me so much... just kinda makes you think about what you've got and what we take for granted.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Did I mention "The mouse ate the cheese", that is a totally creepy book! You have no idea until the end though!
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Haha. Half the books mentioned here? I have to read them for school. My mom went through a World View study when she was in her twenties, and now she's making me do it for school. I have to read Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. I have to watch Animal Farm. And I may have to read Brave New World, too. We'll see.

I'm quite amused by this topic.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

The Giver is an amazing book. very unique and creative.

one of the best thought provoking books i have read is called Socrates Meets Jesus by Peter Kreeft. It portrays Socrates in a modern day society and he goes around asking questions....it's great!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:Haha. Half the books mentioned here? I have to read them for school. My mom went through a World View study when she was in her twenties, and now she's making me do it for school. I have to read Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. I have to watch Animal Farm. And I may have to read Brave New World, too. We'll see.

I'm quite amused by this topic.

Mandy
Because you're forced to read them and other people read them for fun? I've never had to read anything like these books I usually find them totally by accident and then find out that other people had to read them in elementery school or something! Tis quite odd!
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Not at all. I'm amused by the fact that a topic was started within the same week that my mom assigned me my first World View book.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

A Brave New World is a sad and depressing book and it makes me want to cry
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

beka8910 wrote:A Brave New World is a sad and depressing book and it makes me want to cry
Yes it is. It's pretty pathetic that the book is about freedom in romantic partners and whatnot but really it's just a really sad exsistance of no feeling anything but what you want to feel. I mean, can you enjoy happiness and fun and pleasure when you've never felt pain?