[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:16 pm 
[url=http://www.wholesalenfljerseyscheapstore.com/]Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping[/url]

Cash: Locked
Bank: Locked
Or that tragic tale of the lady who they forced an abortion on when she was 8 months pregnant. :mecry: The healthy baby boy was born alive and the nurse did everything in her power to get them to let him leave (even offering to adopt him as her one child) but they refused and left him to die. :(
I'm pretty sure I heard this on Focus on the Family. :anxious:

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:29 am 
Little Old Bird Woman
Trank forever. :)

Cash: 12.00
My aunt adopted a baby from China...and we heard this story during the adoption process: A couple had a baby girl and didn't want it...so they abandoned her by the side of the road. Well, another couple found it and brought it to the police station (which is apparently where people bring abandoned babies) so that it could live. The police got really mad at them and shouted "Why did you bring it back? The parents wanted it to die...respect their wishes! You shouldn't have brought it back!" And they didn't accept the child, so...it was left to die. :mecry:

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:52 pm 
Am I a midbie yet?
Baker Street Irregular

Cash: 247.98
Bank: 1,240.30
But we in such a civilized nation like America would never kill a child like that! :roll:

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:03 pm 
I got this...

Cash: 0.00
Loved by God, is the book you're reading written by Orson Scott Card? The "two-child" policy sounds suspiciously like a plot device in his excellent novel "Ender's Game."

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:38 pm 
Re-elect the Town Council!
is playing Super Mario. She never had a game system like this growing up!

Cash: 1.04
Bank: 220.06
Blog: View Blog (1)
Nope. The author's name is Margaret Peterson Haddix. The books are called: Among the Hidden, Among the Imposters, and Among the Betrayed.
They are classified as Junior Fiction books.

I finished those and now I'm reading Brave New World. It's an adult book and a little less savory.

EDIT: I finished A Brave New World and wouldn't you know, the almost main character dies in the end! HORRIBLE. I hate it when books end like this, the situation never gets fixed! For once, why can't the main character change the situation for the better? What exactly are the authors trying to do to us? Warn us? I have read so many books about cloning recently, seriously. Actually, most of them have the underlying theme of starvation because of an overpopulated earth. The bad stuff in the new civilizations happens because people don't want others to starve. In a book I just finished today called "The house of the Scorpion" it was the same thing. A clone created for body parts for a evil drug lord. The thing is, he's raised pretty well most of his life because this drug guy wants him to have a "normal" childhood.

Do you think clones (will there ever be real human adult clones?) will be considered sub-human? Would God let humanity slip that far down the moral slope?

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:46 pm 
I don’t know what I’m doing!

I've noticed that Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury hasn't been mentioned. That's quite shocking, since it's one of my favorites. It's about a world where literature isn't allowed, people have to find entertainment by television and social events alone. A world where "firemen" start fires by burning books rather than put them out. It's very interesting, and I would highly recommend it. It's not that long of a book, an easy read, but it will definitely make you think.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:23 pm 
Little Old Bird Woman
Trank forever. :)

Cash: 12.00
Freelancer47 wrote:
I've noticed that Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury hasn't been mentioned. That's quite shocking, since it's one of my favorites. It's about a world where literature isn't allowed, people have to find entertainment by television and social events alone. A world where "firemen" start fires by burning books rather than put them out. It's very interesting, and I would highly recommend it. It's not that long of a book, an easy read, but it will definitely make you think.

Sounds interesting. Maybe I should read it.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:40 pm 

Definitely! And if you do, let me know what you thought!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re
Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:01 pm 

I remember trying to read that when I was a lot younger. Yes, it was an interesting premise, but I hate the thought of outlawing books! Worse than cloning! I'm kidding, I'm just saying I LOVE books.

I'll read it.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: Re
Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:14 pm 

LovedbyGod wrote:
I remember trying to read that when I was a lot younger. Yes, it was an interesting premise, but I hate the thought of outlawing books! Worse than cloning! I'm kidding, I'm just saying I LOVE books.

I'll read it.

Me too! I think that's why the book appeals to me so much... just kinda makes you think about what you've got and what we take for granted.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:49 pm 

Did I mention "The mouse ate the cheese", that is a totally creepy book! You have no idea until the end though!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:01 pm 
I love the ToO!

Cash: 2.98
Bank: 130.91
Haha. Half the books mentioned here? I have to read them for school. My mom went through a World View study when she was in her twenties, and now she's making me do it for school. I have to read Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. I have to watch Animal Farm. And I may have to read Brave New World, too. We'll see.

I'm quite amused by this topic.

Mandy

My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:07 pm 
I'm as fancy as Penguin!

The Giver is an amazing book. very unique and creative.

one of the best thought provoking books i have read is called Socrates Meets Jesus by Peter Kreeft. It portrays Socrates in a modern day society and he goes around asking questions....it's great!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:51 pm 

Mandy Straussberg wrote:
Haha. Half the books mentioned here? I have to read them for school. My mom went through a World View study when she was in her twenties, and now she's making me do it for school. I have to read Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. I have to watch Animal Farm. And I may have to read Brave New World, too. We'll see.

I'm quite amused by this topic.

Mandy

Because you're forced to read them and other people read them for fun? I've never had to read anything like these books I usually find them totally by accident and then find out that other people had to read them in elementery school or something! Tis quite odd!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:27 am 
I love the ToO!

Cash: 2.98
Bank: 130.91
Not at all. I'm amused by the fact that a topic was started within the same week that my mom assigned me my first World View book.

Mandy

My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:46 pm 
Catspaw knows all

A Brave New World is a sad and depressing book and it makes me want to cry

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:33 pm 

beka8910 wrote:
A Brave New World is a sad and depressing book and it makes me want to cry

Yes it is. It's pretty pathetic that the book is about freedom in romantic partners and whatnot but really it's just a really sad exsistance of no feeling anything but what you want to feel. I mean, can you enjoy happiness and fun and pleasure when you've never felt pain?

Offline Profile  

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2