What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

There is an ebook that precedes True to You entitled Then Came You. You should read the ebook before True to You.
Catspaw wrote:I have really enjoyed Becky Wade's books, and I am planning to read True to You soon! :D I'm so glad that you thought so highly of it, Laurie!

I actually had time to read today, so I finished Double Trouble and moved on to Licensed for Trouble, the third book in the PJ Sugar series by Susan May Warren, and just finished that! So good. I enjoy all of Warren's books, but this series is one of my favourites by her.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I have the ebook too. Thanks Laurie! I actually don't love the prequel enovella thing that seems to be popular these days, because then I have to check if a book has something like that before I start, and then make sure I read things in the right order, plus I lend a lot of my books to friends, and sometimes there is no physical copy to lend to some friends who don't want to do the ebook thing. On the plus side, there's more free (or cheap) reading materials by some great authors!

I decided to make my next read "Lady Ever After" by Tamara Leigh. It's a time travel book that connects to a different book she wrote that I really enjoyed! (Or at least I think they're connected - I guess I'll find out!)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

You are very welcome Catspaw. In the case of the Bradford Sisters ebook/book you will find that reading the ebook first will fill in some details when you read the book. I know how you feel. I wish that they would put the ebooks in book form since I prefer holding an actual book over holding my iPhone when reading, books being better than a screen for the eyes. It also makes going back and looking up one detail or another if/when you need the reminder easier too.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I always want to have all the details, so I will definitely read the prequel novella first! :D

I totally agree about how much easier it is to flip back to check on something! That's one of the reasons (though certainly not the only reason) that I prefer a physical copy.

I started "The Baron of Godsmere" by Tamara Leigh today. This one is just historical, not with time travel like the last book I read by her. It's fun so far! :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm about half way through Sandpiper Cove by Irene Hannon. It is the third and final book in her Hope Harbor trilogy, excellent so far.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I just finished reading Lecrae's autobiography, Unashamed. It's wonderful to see how God can transfom a life and use anyone to serve him. :)
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Thick as Thieves. Megan Whalen Turner's fifth book in The Thief series. Highly recommend it if you like historical fantasy. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Sandpiper Cove last night, very good. I'm going to miss that series. I am now reading Her Secret by Shelley Shepard Gray, it is the first book in her Amish of Hart County series, found out that Ms. Gray is making this into a six book series. This surprises (and pleases) me as most Christian fiction authors write trilogies nowadays.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue May 23, 2017 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Knight Fisher wrote:Thick as Thieves. Megan Whalen Turner's fifth book in The Thief series. Highly recommend it if you like historical fantasy. \:D/
I've heard from several people that's a great series, but haven't read any of it yet. :anxious: I didn't realize that there were five books. One of these days I'll get around to it!

I just started "Baron of Emberly" by Tamara Leigh. I'm getting plenty of medieval reading in lately, thanks to this author. It's fun now and then. :yes:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Her Secret tonight, very good. I am now re-reading Remember by Karen Kingsbury. I am ever so slowly re reading the Baxter books.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue May 23, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm up to book three, "Baron of Blackwood" by Tamara Leigh. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm reading Upon a Summer Breeze by Kelly Irvin. It's the first book in her An Every Amish Breeze series.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

I just finished The Once and Future King. :cry: :( "And they all were killed, except one page boy named Tom..." :sad3:
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

I just finished a really good dystopian novel called "Delirium" by Lauren Oliver, and it was super good! It's the first book in its trilogy, and if y'all like books like "The Giver" then I would totally recommend it. There's a little bit of cussing and stuff but not too much :check:
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Currently reading For Such a Time by Kate Breslin. The story of Esther set during WWII around a German concentration camp. Very good so far.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I'm reading Rogue One by Alexander Freed. An in-depth and dramatic narrative of Jyn and Cassian's mission. :D
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:Currently reading For Such a Time by Kate Breslin. The story of Esther set during WWII around a German concentration camp. Very good so far.
I have that one on my "to read eventually" list because it looks so interesting! If you thinks it's good, Laurie, then I'm sure I will enjoy it. :D
GJ wrote:I'm reading Rogue One by Alexander Freed. An in-depth and dramatic narrative of Jyn and Cassian's mission. :D
I saw that book at the library and thought about reading it, but I really don't have time right now, so I left it. Would you recommend it? I might try to read it over the summer.

I started reading "Of Moose and Men: Lost and Found in Alaska" by Torry Martin (of AIO writer fame) the other day. It sounded like fun, so I bought it a while ago and just now got around to reading it. I've only read a few chapters so far, but each one has a funny story from his time living in Alaska and then a direct biblical lesson connected to it, or a way that God used the incident in his life to teach him something. It's quite enjoyable and interesting so far!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Currently reading Shine Like the Dawn by Carrie Turansky.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading Austenland by Shannon Hale. I've read it before, but not for a while, and I felt like reading something fun and Austen-esque. Good times!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Shine Like the Dawn, very good book. Up next for me is Five Brides by Eva Marie Everson. First time reading this author.