What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Frank wrote:
Laurie wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" \:D/ It just came in the mail! :)
I got my copy at 12:07 this morning!! \:D/
No fair! I gotta wait for my hold to arrive at our library...I'm only 147 out of 470 for HPATHBP!!!!!! That's only like...three months of waiting! Yea baby!
Ouch!! I'm sorry to hear that. I would be climbing the walls, which is why I went and picked up my copy at midnight.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Laurie wrote:
Frank wrote:
Laurie wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" \:D/ It just came in the mail! :)
I got my copy at 12:07 this morning!! \:D/
No fair! I gotta wait for my hold to arrive at our library...I'm only 147 out of 470 for HPATHBP!!!!!! That's only like...three months of waiting! Yea baby!
Ouch!! I'm sorry to hear that. I would be climbing the walls, which is why I went and picked up my copy at midnight.
Yea...so y'all shouldn't spoil it for me. How long is the book anyway? 1000 pages?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Don't worry I won't tell you what happens. It has 652 pages, 30 chapters. Won't knowing how long it is make you crazy? It would me.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Im not allowed to read HP but I know a better series thats already finished.....its called the chronicles of narnia, you should read them sometime.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

:hilarious:

:anxious: Uh, ditto that..
...I hate marquees.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Laurie wrote:Don't worry I won't tell you what happens. It has 652 pages, 30 chapters. Won't knowing how long it is make you crazy? It would me.
Hmmm...it's shorter. Ah well...my parents were getting mad two years ago when I spent six consecutive hours reading all 900 pages of book five. So this will be better.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Eugene Kendall wrote:Im not allowed to read HP but I know a better series thats already finished.....its called the chronicles of narnia, you should read them sometime.
While I mean no offense to CS Lewis, the story line of Harry Potter is far more complex and intriguing. The Chronicles of Narnia are pretty much self contained adventures that are interesting and fun, but not as epic and exciting as Harry Potter's over arcing storyline. They both have their place in our world, and many could successfully argue the message of the Chronicles of Narnia is better... but as far as entertainment value goes and the fact JK Rowling has turned millions of kids onto reading, well, that is saying something. I continue to be surprised by the twists and turns the HP books through my way, while the CoN books were fairly linear and straight forward with few shocking revelations. (Not saying CoN needed them, but keeping me on the edge of my seat is something none of the CoN ever accomplished).

For years now, the only books I actually get excited about are Harry Potter ones... and they are the only books I sit and read the moment they come out. In this day in age where technology rules our life, it's nice that there is still something so traditional that can get me (and millions more) excited about reading.

However, I understand many families objections to reading these books... though I myself do not view them as anything more than great entertainment in the same vein as any other fantasy story.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Well, I am now almost done with the third book in Ted Dekker's Martyr's Song series. Blink is up next.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I started the 5th Corrie Hollister book last night! \:D/ Only 3 more after this one. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

I just finished one of the best christian fiction works that I've read in a long time. Most of it is mediocre....but this was good writing. The plot might not have been complex, but I liked it. Robert Elmer: The Celebrity
~*WannabeRocker*~
Not as new

Post by ~*WannabeRocker*~ »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Well, I am now almost done with the third book in Ted Dekker's Martyr's Song series. Blink is up next.
I love Tedd Dekker!!!!
I just got done reading blink, loved it :D
I've also read thre3 and obsessed. I finished obsessed in a day, that is my fave book from him its like totally awesome!

but as for the book I'm reading now, I just finished Jeremiah last night and so now I'm reading Lamentations.
oh, yah and the book
The rise and fall of Hitler
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I started Corrie Hollister #6!
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I'm currently reading ROTK, a book on potty-training infants (it caught my eye and I was curious to see what it was about), the Taming of the Shrew, and, if I get around to it, Emma by Jane Austen.
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

Currently Reading:

Halo: Fall of Reach
Prelude to Foundations - Isaac Asimov
I, Robot - Isaac Asimov
A Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank (The farther I get, the more I dislike it.)

Sherlock Holmes Vol. 1 - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (You didn't seriously think I was going to say Arthur Dent did you?)

And I will soon reread "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.

-Trill
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

You didn't like Anne Frank? You must not be into Holocaust/WWII stuff like me and my dad are. Sure, the book is a little silly and immature, but it was written by a teenage girl! She's baring her fragile, naive heart to her diary, and I think it's refreshing to hear what a real person (my age, no less) thought about everything that was happening in her life. Especially after reading the Bodie Thoene books, which are interesting but mostly from adult/more mature-type characters' POV. Not always, but more often than not.
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

I actually am loving the WWII/Holocaust things I'm reading. I just find Anne Frank to be...I dunno, discomforting, some of the things she talks about. And also, I can't really identify with her for some reason like everyone else says they can.

She was a good writer, and I was enjoying it a lot at first, and then she started getting into the "Girly" stuff and I'm not enjoying it so much now.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Just started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I'm one sentence into it.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

My friend has to read 'Candide' within the next week-and-a-half-- and she has band camp! She said it was pretty boring, which makes me glad I don't have to take any kind of Lit as far as I know.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Beauty by Robin McKinley
One of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary

And I finally finished Huckleberry Finn That is one of the most confusing books I ahve ever read.
Last edited by Linne on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Rachael wrote:You didn't like Anne Frank? You must not be into Holocaust/WWII stuff like me and my dad are. Sure, the book is a little silly and immature, but it was written by a teenage girl! She's baring her fragile, naive heart to her diary, and I think it's refreshing to hear what a real person (my age, no less) thought about everything that was happening in her life. Especially after reading the Bodie Thoene books, which are interesting but mostly from adult/more mature-type characters' POV. Not always, but more often than not.
I love reading about WWII and the Holocaust...I just finished a really great book called "All But My Life" by Gerda Weissman Klein. I think it was better than Anne Frank. Well...I need to give Anne another chance...I read her book in 4th grade, maybe that was too young. I just like her last name. :D