What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've just started the first book of the Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister series.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
katrinameltzner
I've been here a bit

Post by katrinameltzner »

I have read the Corrie Belle Hollister journals. They are really good. Another good companion book to that series is a book called Gray Fox. It is a journal by one of Corrie's brothers.

I am reading the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson right now. Has anyone heard of those books? They are really good. Christian fiction with touches of mystery and romance.
Intentions are good;
Committment is necessary;
But in order to move forward,
Actions are required.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

katrinameltzner wrote: I am reading the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson right now. Has anyone heard of those books? They are really good. Christian fiction with touches of mystery and romance.
I've read the whole series - I agree that they're great! How far are you in the series so far?
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Dee Henderson is one of my all time favorite authors. I love the O'Malley's. Have you read any of her other stuff?

finished Blood of Heaven. I'm starting Heaven's Wager ( I think) Whatever the first book in Ted Dekkers Martyrs Song series is called.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I haven't read any Dee Henderson books, but my mom has. I think they look interesting - I'll have to check them out sometime that I don't have a backlog of books to read. :anxious:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Hmmmm...am reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn now. Very quaint.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Great book Frank, minus the language.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I started the 2nd Corrie Hollister book this afternoon. \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I started the 2nd Corrie Hollister book this afternoon. \:D/
That is an excellent series.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery yet again, and I'm also reading Dead on Arrival, a somewhat lame but always fun Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery book! \:D/

No heavy reading for me today, as I'm sure you've noticed. ;)
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Great book Frank, minus the language.
Is there any bad language in that book? Well...next on my list is "East of Eden"....I wonder how many pages I can find without bad language.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Frank wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:Great book Frank, minus the language.
Is there any bad language in that book? Well...next on my list is "East of Eden"....I wonder how many pages I can find without bad language.

Well sort of. Not sear words just derogatory terms for slaves.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

They weren't at the time they were written, though, really. And regardless, it provides a strong sense of realism, as that certainly was the norm for the times.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

The Top Crusader wrote:They weren't at the time they were written, though, really. And regardless, it provides a strong sense of realism, as that certainly was the norm for the times.

Very true. That was actually one of the most enjoyable books I read for school. I was having some eye troubles during the time we were close to the end and I couldn't read. So my parents,sister, and grandparents, and I all sat down in the living room one evening and they read the rest of the book aloud to me. Each one read a nit. It was awesoem.

katrinameltzner
I've been here a bit

Post by katrinameltzner »

I am on the last book of the O'Malley series.
The one about Stephen. I just started it last night. So far, it is really good.
But, then again, all of Dee Henderson's books are good! :D
Intentions are good;
Committment is necessary;
But in order to move forward,
Actions are required.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I'm currently reading "The Fellowship of the Ring" (After I saw the movie, I decided I should read the book, too). I am also reading "The Case for Faith". I finished "The Case for a Creator" and "The Case for Christ" this past week. They are really good books!!
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm now onto the third Corrie Hollister book! \:D/
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Yeah, I've read all of the Corrie Belle Hollister books three times. They're good.

I am also reading "Every Young Woman's Battle". Also a good book.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I just reread The Giver by Lois Lowry. It was read aloud to me in 5th grade, and it was good, just as I remembered, though I know a lot of it must've went over my head. I have a critique for it, though. The ending is left open to interpretation, as Lowry confirmed. I guess it is a cool idea, but I like it when authors are purposeful.
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

katrinameltzner wrote:I am on the last book of the O'Malley series.
The one about Stephen. I just started it last night. So far, it is really good.
But, then again, all of Dee Henderson's books are good! :D
The thing I really liked about the O'Malley books was the brotherly/sisterly relations. They all loved each other to death! 8-)