What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Back on The Great Gatsby, only my favorite book ever \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Just started this morning: Wings of the Wind by Connilyn Cossette. It is the third and final book in her Out From Egypt trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just read "Sunset Lullaby" by Robin Jones Gunn, the third and final book in her Christy and Todd: The Baby Years series, and it it was wonderful! I won't ruin it for anyone else planning to read it, but I loved it and found the ending especially touching. :sniff:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm reading Catching the Wind by Melanie Dobson. It's a contemporary/historical. The historical is set in 1940 Germany/England, the contemporary in modern day England. Very good so far.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds interesting, Laurie!

I'm reading "A Note Yet Unsung" by Tamara Alexander. It's the third book in her Belmont Mansion series, and it's very good so far! The main characters are musicians, and I don't know much about music, but the story is very compelling!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Catching the Wind, excellent book. Up next for me is A House Divided by Michael Phillips & Judith Pella. It is the second book in their Russians series which was orginally published in the 90s but can still be found online.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I always saw the Russians series in my church library back in the day, but I never read them. I always thought I should and just never did. One of these days I'll have to finally do it!

I just started "Hearts Entwined," a novella collection with stories by four authors I really like! The first story is by Karen Witemeyer.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A House Divided, excellent. I am really enjoying that series. Michael Phillips is one of my favorites. I am now reading A Lady Unrivaled by Roseanna M. White, it is the third and final book in her Ladies of the Manor trilogy. Very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Egypt's Sister" by Angela Hunt. It's fascinating historical fiction in the time of Cleopatra, and I'm really enjoying it!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:I'm reading "Egypt's Sister" by Angela Hunt. It's fascinating historical fiction in the time of Cleopatra, and I'm really enjoying it!
We must be reading each other's minds Catspaw, I'm reading the same book. Very good!! This is my first time reading Angela Hunt.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I'm reading J. Mark Betrand's Pattern of Wounds for the second time. It's so good.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm reading The Lacemaker by Laura Frantz, very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just bought that one the other day and it looks really good! I hope you enjoy it, Laurie! I won't get around to reading it for a little while still.

I am quite proud of myself - I finally finished "The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien! \:D/ I started it a long time ago and kind of set it aside and forgot about it, so I finally picked it up again and finished it. I really enjoyed it, and found the last few chapters especially interesting, since most of that stuff isn't in the movie.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Lacemaker was very good. I am now reading The Amish Seamstress by Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould. This is the fourth book in their Women of Lancaster County series. I discovered that there is going to be a fifth book in this series coming out in April. I'd been putting off reading it because I thought it was the final book in the series. Very good so far.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I started rereading "The Princess Bride" yesterday. I was looking for something really good that I had read before because I sometimes have short reading windows where I want to read, but I don't want to have a book that I desperately must find out what happens next! Just reading the introductions made me smile. :inlove:
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Catspaw wrote:I started rereading "The Princess Bride" yesterday. I was looking for something really good that I had read before because I sometimes have short reading windows where I want to read, but I don't want to have a book that I desperately must find out what happens next! Just reading the introductions made me smile. :inlove:
I am definitely going to have to read that one day. :) Hope you're enjoying it!

I finished Back on Murder by J. Mark Bertand, which was amazing and I started reading Pride and Prejudice again, and I'm determined to finish it. Lizzy may be my favorite so far.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Yesterday I finished Fatal Frost by Nancy Mehl, the first book in her Defenders of Justice trilogy. Very good, it kept me turning the pages. I love a book that does that! First time reading Nancy Mehl. I've added her to my very long list of favorites. I am now reading Gathering the Threads by Cindy Woodsmall. This is the third and final book in her Amish of Summer Grove trilogy, very good so far. Ms. Woodsmall is a favorite of mine.
Last edited by Laurie on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

GJ wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I started rereading "The Princess Bride" yesterday. I was looking for something really good that I had read before because I sometimes have short reading windows where I want to read, but I don't want to have a book that I desperately must find out what happens next! Just reading the introductions made me smile. :inlove:
I am definitely going to have to read that one day. :) Hope you're enjoying it!

I finished Back on Murder by J. Mark Bertand, which was amazing and I started reading Pride and Prejudice again, and I'm determined to finish it. Lizzy may be my favorite so far.
I am still enjoying "The Princess Bride" and you should definitely read it one day!

I love "Pride and Prejudice." :inlove: The first time I read it, I did give up for a while, and I'm so glad that I went back to it. I've read it a bunch of times since then and love it each time!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Gathering the Threads by Cindy Woodsmall. Excellent book and trilogy. Up next for me is You're Gonna Love Me by Robin Lee Hatcher.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Duty to Defend" by Jill Elizabeth Nelson. It's really good so far! I'm only a few chapters in and very curious about what will happen!