What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Strength of His Hand, excellent. I highly recommend this series. Up next for me is The Loyal Heart by Shelley Shepard Gray, it is the first book in her Lone Star Hero's Love Story trilogy/series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Lizzy88 wrote:Finished The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk, and I'm in the middle of The Glory by the same author (it's historical fiction novel about Israel after the Six Day war), except I seem to have MISPLACED the book!! :evil: Only about four chapters in and it already has three babies born, approximately four very confusing love triangles, and two ships sunk.
Oh my! I might skip that one. ;) I hope you found the book!

I'm just starting "A Refuge at Highland Hall" by Carrie Turansky, and, as I easily predicted looking at the cover the book, it takes place during WWI. It should be good!
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Burning Rubber: The Extraordinary Story of Formula One

A white-knuckle drive through the bends, straights, chicanes, and pit stops of Formula One’s checkered history, this the fast and dangerous story of motor sport’s premier competition. It explores the lost world of the 1950s racetrack, the irresistible rise of British constructors in the 1960s, the impact of technological changes from the late 1970s, the advent of the high-profile team boss in the 1980s, and the revolution wrought on the sport by computers in the 1990s. Throughout, there are memorable profiles of the drivers who have risked life and limb on circuits from Monte Carlo to Monza—the ebullient Stirling Moss, the champagne-gargling James Hunt, the cerebral Prost and the mercurial Senna (whose combined brilliance was exceeded only by their mutual loathing), the adenoidal Nigel Mansell, the metronomic Michael Schumacher, the precocious Lewis Hamilton, and the reborn Jenson Button.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that sounds really exciting! I'm not a big racing fan, but just recently I watched some Formula One and it was quite interesting. Lewis Hamilton has been doing very well recently. This must be a newer book.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Haunted Life - Jack Kerouac
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Dawn at Emberwilde" by Sarah E. Ladd. It's very good so far. I think it's better than her previous book, though that might just be me.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Read the Uglies because a friend suggested it. I made it past the first book fine. Some of it was interesting but then kinda faded after the first third, but I decided to try to finish it. It ended interesting so I moved on to the second book. I could not finish the second book. I'm moving on to another suggestion by another friend in a bit.. When I have time to read again.
I did notice that parts of the first book felt very familiar to another series I tried to read but couldn't make past part of the second book. I think this is another reason why I kinda got bored and had to force myself not to just race through but actually read. =p
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Hey! I read the Uglies years ago, but actually finished them all. =p They definitely had their ups and downs and big chunks of boring dragged out story. But overall, they were interesting with an interesting concept.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just finished "The Magnolia Duchess" by Beth White, and it was great! It's the third book in her Gulf Coast Chronicles series, and takes place during the War of 1812, which isn't that unusual of a time period to write about, but the story takes place mostly around Mobile and New Orleans, which is a different perspective than I have read previously. The historical angle was really interesting, and the story was great. I would definitely recommend the series!
Seer
Lurker

Post by Seer »

I completed Took by Mary Downing Hahn. It was very strange. I wish Old Auntie and Bloody Bones had met more gruesome ends for their horrible deeds.
Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Yesterday I finished As Waters Gone By-Cynthia Ruchti, a first time reading of this author and very good. Today I finished A Loyal Heart by Shelley Shepard Gray one of my favorite authors also very good. Up next for me is The Lost Heiress by Roseanna M. White. This is the first book in her Ladies of the Manor trilogy/series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "A Lady's Honor" by Laurie Alice Eakes. It's quite interesting so far! I've enjoyed other books I've read by her. To me they fit the "rather good" category, if not quite "really great." ;)

I just finished reading "Victim of Grace" by Robin Jones Gunn. It's a non-fiction book where she tells stories of how God has worked in her life, as well as thoughts on women in the Bible. I highly recommend it! I found it beautiful and inspiring.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Lost Heiress by Roseanna M. White, excellent book. I thought of Downton Abbey while reading it too. Up next for me is The Courtship Basket by Amy Clipston, it is the second book in her Amish Heirlooms trilogy.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I finished reading The Scarlet Pimpernel.. Don't know why it took me so long to read it. It's been on my shelf for a really long time. I really enjoyed reading it.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm just starting "An Elegant Facade" by Kristi Ann Hunter. I really enjoyed her previous book, "A Noble Masquerade," so I was really excited to finally get my hands on her new book! :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Courtship Basket, wonderful!! I am really enjoying this series. Up next for me is Sea Rose Lane by Irene Hannon, it is the second book in her Hope Harbor series/trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I finished "A Heart's Rebellion" by Ruth Axtell yesterday. It wasn't amazing...it was fine, but I wouldn't read it again. I was reading it between watching the Olympics, and even then it wasn't totally holding my attention. A really good book will have me tuning out other stuff, not looking over to watch a commercial instead of reading. ;) It wasn't awful, but not one I would really recommend either.
Seer
Lurker

Post by Seer »

Time for Andrew was very interesting and nostalgic. I also liked Hahn's Wait Til Helen Comes. A very creepy title that fits the book well.
Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'll skip the creepy book! My imagination is too vivid for me to read anything too creepy. :anxious:

I recently read "Tactical Rescue" by Maggie K. Black. It was a lighter read, but it caught my eye because it takes place in Ontario, and not that many books take place in Canada. It was quite enjoyable! It was the first book I've read by the author, but I would read more.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

This week I've read: Firewall by DiAnn Mills, very good. I checked this one out of the library and bought the remaining books in the trilogy. Since I read the first one I have to read the rest of the series and the two libraries closest to me did not have them. Sea Rose Lane by Irene Hannon, also very good. Up next for me is Land of Silence by Tessa Afshar.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.