What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Always on My Mind today, excellent book. I am now reading Bride in Store by Melissa Jagears, very good so far.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Kaida wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I was so happy when I went to my local Christian bookstore and found the new Siri Mitchell book in stock! \:D/ Therefore, "Flirtation Walk" will be the next book I read. The description sounds very interesting.
I saw that book on Goodreads. Tell me how you like it.
I really enjoyed it! It's a nice mix of history (West Point in 1855, with a nice long historical note at the end of the book), romance, and interesting characters. There were definitely parts where I laughed a lot! I never want to promise that somebody else will enjoy a book as much as I do, but I would say that it was well worth the read!

I've been busy reading the last few days - I just read "The Painter's Daughter" by Julie Klassen, which I really enjoyed, and then 'The Golden Braid" by Melanie Dickerson, which is kind of a medieval Rapunzel that fits into the world of her previous books. It actually connected more than I expected it would. I liked the twist she put on it and the way it completed parts of stories from her previous books. I just started Melanie Dickerson's new book, which is a Regency book, making it different from her other stories. It's okay so far - I'm only a few chapters in and it is interesting, but maybe not awesome yet.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Bride in Store by Melissa Jagears, excellent book. I have enjoyed this trilogy very much. Up next for me is Counted With the Stars by Connilyn Cossette.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've been reading so much the last week or two, and it's been so much fun! I read "Mist of Midnight" by Sandra Byrd, which was very interesting. I've read some of her contemporary books, but not her historical books, and I would definitely recommend this one! I also read "A Noble Masquerade" by Kristi Ann Hunter, and very much enjoyed it! It was a nice mix of Regency mystery, romance, and interesting characters. I'm really looking forward to the next book in a few months. :D

I'm reading Mary Conneally's new(ish) series "Wild at Heart" right now - I waited until all three were out before reading them. I'm up to book two, and I'm definitely laughing and enjoying the ride! She writes fun books that couldn't be accused of being too deep, but have a good story to them still.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

You're on Goodreads, Kaida? I just joined last week :)

I am starting Josephus's histories...
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Lizzy88 wrote:You're on Goodreads, Kaida? I just joined last week :)

I am starting Josephus's histories...
I only check it out every now and then. When I don't know what to read next. I am currently reading The Story of Ferdinand.. Looking it over before reading it with my students. =p
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Moonlight Masquerade" by Ruth Axtell. It's okay so far. I'm not totally loving it so far - I'm not quite into the characters and their decision-making right now. I'm not nearly done, so maybe I'll change my mind by the end.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Counted with the Stars, excellent book. Another new author added to my list. I absolutely love discovering new authors!! Up next for me is Through Waters Deep by Sarah Sundin. It is the first book in her Waves of Freedom trilogy.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just read "Bride of a Distant Isle" by Sandra Byrd, which I enjoyed very much. I just started "Flight of Fancy" by Laurie Alice Eakes. The first couple chapters were okay but didn't quite click for me. I'm going to keep reading, but I don't think it will be as good as my last book.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Through Waters Deep, excellent book. Can't wait for the second book. Up next for me is The Forgotten Recipe by Amy Clipston, it is the first book in her Amish Heirloom trilogy.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Reading, "Ever by My Side", a veterinary surgeon's book about his pets.
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Reading it with a friend. I remember liking this book. But I already forgot some of it. I'm happy to read it again.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Forgotten Recipe last night, very good. I'm anxious for the second one. I am now reading A Promise to Protect by Patricia Bradley, this is the second book in her Logan Point series. I had checked the first one out of the library, enjoyed it and want to read the rest of the series.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Like Never Before," Melissa Tagg's newest book. I was so happy to see it at my local Christian bookstore, because I've really enjoyed her previous books. This one has been great so far! :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Promise to Protect last night, very good. I have started The Curiosity Keeper by Sarah E. Ladd, it is the first book in her Treasures of Surrey trilogy.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

"Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm already a little familiar with the plot and the premise, not because of the movie but because of a Japanese drama mini-series released earlier this year that was based on the book, but I'm really getting into it.

I also bought "Behold the Man" by Brock and Brodie Thoene this week, and I'm looking forward to starting that one.
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Sins of the Past," which has three novellas by Dee Henderson, Dani Pettrey, and Lynette Eason. I've really enjoyed books by the first two authors, and heard good things about the third, so this was an easy one to buy! :D I read the Dee Henderson story already and really enjoyed it.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Curiosity Keeper by Sarah E. Ladd this morning, very good. Happily I have the second book so I don't have to wait to read it!! :mrgreen: Up next for me is The Inheritance by Michael Phillips. He is one of my favorites and I have been reading him since I started reading Christian fiction in 1991. I stopped at my local Family Christian Store this morning and the lady I know that works there said she was reading it and that it is very good. So, since she has piqued my curiosity I'm starting it next.:D It will be wonderful to read a Michael Phillips book again, haven't read one of his in a long time.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon May 09, 2016 11:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:I finished The Curiosity Keeper by Sarah E. Ladd this morning, very good. Happily I have the second book so I don't have to wait to read it!! :mrgreen:
Oh, lucky you! I read the first one a while back, but I don't have the second one yet. I might need to stop by my local bookstore soon to see if they have it!

I'm currently enjoying "Her One and Only" by Becky Wade. It's the fourth and final book in her Porter Family series, and it's really good so far! I have laughed a lot, but there's plenty of serious and thought-provoking stuff too. She seems to find a great balance of different factors to make it seem like real life.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Inheritance just now. It was pretty good although I don't believe it warrants the excitement my friend at the FCS had about it the last time I saw her. I prefer his historical fiction. Up next for me is The Prophetess by Jill Eileen Smith, it is the second book in her Daughters of the Promised land trilogy.
I'm also reading Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick, very good.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed May 18, 2016 6:51 am, edited 4 times in total.