What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just finished "Traces of Guilt" by Dee Henderson last night (or, more accurately, this morning) :anxious: and it was a great read. I've been a fan of her books for well over a decade, and I think this was one of her best. Really well written and plotted, and kept me up late reading and then thinking about the book. I highly recommend it!

I just started "The Chase" by DiAnn Mills. I've had it on my shelf for a while and just never got around to reading it. The first couple of chapters have been quite intriguing.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Finders Keepers - Stephen King
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I finished "The Chase" by DiAnn Mills and started the sequel, "The Survivor," soon afterwards. \:D/ It's quite good so far - very interesting storyline, and of course I have to know what happens to the characters!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Marvin D. wrote:Finders Keepers - Stephen King
I just finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King, it was pretty great.

I started reading Blood Red Turns Dollar Green, which apparently has gone out of print since I bought it as copies are kind of pricey on Amazon now, so I need to get through this fast and sell it before more copies are printed. >_>
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Prophetess by Jill Eileen Smith, very good. I also finished Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick who I've added to my list of favorite non fiction authors, very good book. Up next for me is A Bride at Last by Melissa Jagears. This is the third and final book in her Unexpected Bride trilogy.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed May 25, 2016 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

I got 3 new inch-thick books at an estate sale yesterday for $2.40!! Scooore!!
I finished Blind Man's Bluff, about American submarine espionage during the Cold war; fixing to start Son of the Morning Star, a bio of George Custer, and then Boyd, who was an Air Force pilot. *Happy me!*
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished A Bride at Last, excellent. I enjoyed this trilogy very much. Up next for me is Flirtation Walk by Siri Mitchell.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun May 29, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Half Magic by Edward Eager, Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers, and Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Flirtation Walk this morning, very good. Up next for me is A Heart Once Broken by Jerry S. Eicher. It is the first book in his The St. Lawrence Amish trilogy/series.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Kaida wrote:Half Magic by Edward Eager, Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers, and Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul.
Mary Poppins is so much fun! \:D/ I love the movie too. There are notable differences between the book and the movie, and they both manage to be amazing!
Laurie wrote:I finished Flirtation Walk this morning, very good. Up next for me is A Heart Once Broken by Jerry S. Eicher. It is the first book in his The St. Lawrence Amish trilogy/series.
I really enjoyed Flirtation Walk as well! :D Did you go to Siri Mitchell's website to read the little bonus piece that she mentions at the back of the book? :lol: I would recommend it if you didn't!

I just finished "The Pelican Bride" by Beth White, the first in her Gulf Coast Chronicles, and it was very interesting! It takes place in 1704 around the Mobile, Alabama area. I knew a little about the time period, but not much, and it was fascinating. I just started the second book in the series, "The Creole Princess." We're up to 1776 now, which is a much more commonly written about time period, but we're still in Mobile, which brings quite a different perspective!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:
Kaida wrote:Half Magic by Edward Eager, Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers, and Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul.
Mary Poppins is so much fun! \:D/ I love the movie too. There are notable differences between the book and the movie, and they both manage to be amazing!
Laurie wrote:I finished Flirtation Walk this morning, very good. Up next for me is A Heart Once Broken by Jerry S. Eicher. It is the first book in his The St. Lawrence Amish trilogy/series.
I really enjoyed Flirtation Walk as well! :D Did you go to Siri Mitchell's website to read the little bonus piece that she mentions at the back of the book? :lol: I would recommend it if you didn't!

I just finished "The Pelican Bride" by Beth White, the first in her Gulf Coast Chronicles, and it was very interesting! It takes place in 1704 around the Mobile, Alabama area. I knew a little about the time period, but not much, and it was fascinating. I just started the second book in the series, "The Creole Princess." We're up to 1776 now, which is a much more commonly written about time period, but we're still in Mobile, which brings quite a different perspective!
I finished the story just now. It took me a little time to find it, all I had to do was wait for the email with the link.:roll: I read the Pelican Bride, glad to hear you enjoyed it, I know I did. Can't wait to read the second one. Hope it's good too!!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote: I read the Pelican Bride, glad to hear you enjoyed it, I know I did. Can't wait to read the second one. Hope it's good too!!
Yes, the second book was excellent, and I just started the third one, "The Magnolia Duchess," which just recently became available! :D If you liked the first one, I'm sure you'll enjoy the second one as well.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished a Heart Once Broken, excellent. Jerry Eicher is one of my favorites. Up next for me is Jaded by Varina Denman. It is the second book in her Mended Hearts trilogy.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

League of Dragons the ninth and final Temeraire book. It was an immensely satisfying conclusion. Especially given that it randomly arrived a day early.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Justified Monday night. Very good book even though there was a character in it that I did not like. I have started The Painter's Daughter by Julie Klassen, very, very good so far. She is one of my favorites.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, that was another great one by Julie Klassen in my opinion!

I just finished "The Governess of Highland Hall" by Carrie Turanksy and I'm starting the second book in the trilogy, "The Daughter of Highland Hall." They take place in 1910-1912 so far, which has been very interesting. I wouldn't say that they're the best ever, but they are quite good. :D The covers had me interested, because they are quite nice.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:Yes, that was another great one by Julie Klassen in my opinion!

I just finished "The Governess of Highland Hall" by Carrie Turanksy and I'm starting the second book in the trilogy, "The Daughter of Highland Hall." They take place in 1910-1912 so far, which has been very interesting. I wouldn't say that they're the best ever, but they are quite good. :D The covers had me interested, because they are quite nice.
I enjoyed those books, I haven't read the third one yet though. I finished The Painter's Daughter, excellent. I'm now reading The Strength of His Hands by Lynn Austin, it is the third book in her Chronicles of the Kings series.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I finished the instructions on how to bake a pizza the other day, it was informative but lacked style.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Finished The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk, and I'm in the middle of The Glory by the same author (it's historical fiction novel about Israel after the Six Day war), except I seem to have MISPLACED the book!! :evil: Only about four chapters in and it already has three babies born, approximately four very confusing love triangles, and two ships sunk.
Last edited by Lizzy88 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Seer
Lurker

Post by Seer »

I recently red Deep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Hahn. I love ghost stories, though this one wasn't very creepy. All the Lovely Bad Ones was better.
Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows.