What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

I recently finished The Last Unicorn. I don't think it'll become one of my favorite books, but it was definitely worth reading.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Land of Silence by Tessa Afshar, very good book if you like Biblical fiction. Up next for me is A Thousand Shall Fall by Andrea Boeshaar, it is the first book in her Shenandoah Saga series. Ms. Boeshaar is one of my favorite authors as well.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just finished reading "Hush: Moving From Silence to Healing After childhood Sexual Abuse" by Nicole Braddock Bromley. She shares her story and there's lots of valuable information in it. Very enlightening read.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

About a Boy - Nick Hornby

Much better than my previous attempt at trying out High Fidelity.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm almost done "Dreamspell" by Tamara Leigh. It's a time travel story, which I don't read a lot of but really enjoy now and then. It's been an intriguing read! :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Thousand Shall Fall by Andrea Boeshaar, excellent. I can't wait for the second one. Up next for me is a book I checked out of the library a couple of days ago. Claudia: Wife of Pontious Pilate by Diana Wallis Taylor. I've already started it and I am really enjoying it. Yes, it is a novel about the wife of the actual Pontius Pilate who sent Jesus to the cross. First time reading this author.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just started "Lady of Fire" by Tamara Leigh. It's historical, and different than what I had expected. It's interesting, but distinct from other books I've read by her.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I recently finished The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson. It's a memoir of one of the youngest children to survive the Holocaust on Oskar Schindler’s list. It was inspiring and very easy to read. He, and his family went through it all it seemed and survived to tell the tale, which really puts the little things we complain about into a new perspective.

I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds really interesting, snubs! I'll have to look for that book.

I'm over halfway through "A Lasting Impression" by Tamera Alexander, and it's fantastic! I'm really enjoying it. Great historical detail and a compelling story.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Claudia: Wife of Pontius Pilate by Diana Wallis Taylor, excellent book! I highly recommend this author. Up next for me is The Baron's Honourable Daughter by Lynn Morris. She is the daughter of Gilbert Morris who has been a favorite of mine since 1991.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've been reading so much this weekend! :mad: I finished "A Beauty So Rare" by Tamera Alexander, which was excellent, then read "No Other Would Do" by Karen Witemeyer, one of my favourite authors. It was very good, and I'm looking forward to more in the series!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I'm in the midst of several books...for whatever reason it's hard for me to finish a book.

But they include:

A Crook in the Lot:Or, the Sovereignty and Wisdom of God Displayed in the Afflictions of Men, by Thomas Boston

The Flow of the Psalms, by O. Palmer Robertson

Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love, by Jerry Bridges
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Baron's Honourable Daughter, excellent book!! I can't wait to read the next one!! Up next for me is Beverly Lewis's newest book The Wish. Another one of my favorite authors.:D
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I borrowed "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" novelization from my local library and have barely started it. They had it on a display of newer books and I had a vague recollection of hearing that it was worth the read, so I took it out. It's good so far, though I'm not anticipating any really big surprises. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I've finished The Baron's Honourable Daughter by Lynn Morris, excellent book.
A Penny For Your Thoughts by Mindy Starns Clark, excellent as well.
I am currently reading The Wonder of You by Susan May Warren, just started it today. Also A. Lincoln by Ronald C. White, Jr. I think people are smart enough to figure out who this book is about!! :mrgreen: It is very good.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Have you read the whole Million Dollar Mystery series by Mindy Starns Clark? You're making me want to read them again - I read the series years ago, and I remember it being very good!

I'm reading "To Whisper Her Name" by Tamera Alexander. It's fantastic! I am really enjoying it. I'm going to have to read her older books again soon. I read them a few years ago, but I'm enjoying reading her books so much that I want more!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote:Have you read the whole Million Dollar Mystery series by Mindy Starns Clark? You're making me want to read them again - I read the series years ago, and I remember it being very good!

I'm reading "To Whisper Her Name" by Tamera Alexander. It's fantastic! I am really enjoying it. I'm going to have to read her older books again soon. I read them a few years ago, but I'm enjoying reading her books so much that I want more!

I enjoyed that book when I read it too. I bought the Million Dollar Mystery series when it first came out years ago. I think I read the first one but never got around to the rest of the series. Now that I've read the first one I'll get around to reading the other four, eventually.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Have you read the whole Million Dollar Mystery series by Mindy Starns Clark? You're making me want to read them again - I read the series years ago, and I remember it being very good!

I enjoyed that book when I read it too. I bought the Million Dollar Mystery series when it first came out years ago. I think I read the first one but never got around to the rest of the series. Now that I've read the first one I'll get around to reading the other four, eventually.
That happens to me sometimes too! I get distracted with another book that looks really good, or read something because I know I need to return it to the library instead of waiting forever to read it ;) and take a while to go back.

I'm reading "From a Distance" by Tamera Alexander. Reading her newer books reminded me of how great an author she is, so I went to the library to get more books! :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Wonder of You, very good. I am now reading On This Foundation by Lynn Austin. It is the final book of her Restoration Trilogy, excellent so far.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading more Tamera Alexander books! I stayed up late a couple of nights ago to finish "To Win Her Favor," since it was almost due at the library, and it was excellent. Now I'm back to some of her older ones that I've read before but want to enjoy again. I just started "Within My Heart." It's funny because at the end of "To Win Her Favor" the author's note mentions that a character from this book made an appearance but didn't say which one, and I was trying to think who it could be. I couldn't remember exactly what happened in this book, but I knew that I would have remembered if it was one of the main characters. Then I was a few lines into the prologue of "Within My Heart" and was like, "Oh yeah, this is totally the minor character who also was in the one I just read!" :lol: Here I thought I would be trying to figure it out the whole way through, and it was the very first thing!