Anne of Green Gables (And other works by L.M. Montgomery)

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Anne
OK

Anne of Green Gables (And other works by L.M. Montgomery)

Post by Anne »

As my user name and avator suggests, I love Anne of Green Gables. I've read all the books, watched the movies, and listened to the radio theatre.
Anne is such a lovable character, and while not considered "Christian fiction" the books show a subtle Christian message.
Of course, I also love Gilbert and his relationship with Anne.
Are there other Anne fans out there?
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Yes, there are! http://lmmontgomery.proboards34.com/ind ... ion=login2

Not very many people there though. ^
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am a HUGE L.M. Montgomery fan. Have been for years. I am so glad to see other fans around. :D
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Oh, yes yes yes! The woman who used to be our... nanny type person, would always bring the books and movies. He he, we'd watch them all the time. And I mean all the time. :D

I was thinking about this...
Are the "Road to Avonlea" books, the same as the "Anne of Green Gables" books? I used to think they were, but now I'm not so sure. :P

Sarah
Anne
OK

Post by Anne »

No, Road to Avonlea and Anne of Green Gables are different. Anne of Green Gables takes place in Avonlea, but Anne is not in Road to Avonlea.
I believe that Road to Avonlea is only a TV series and is not actually written by L.M. Montgomery, but based on her book "The Story Girl"
Many of the characters in Road to Avonlea and AGG are the same however, such as Rachel Lynde.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I really enjoyed both the Anne of Green Gables books and movies. Really nice!
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

I love all the Anne books, and her other series that I've read! Some of the greatset books ever written!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love all things L.M. Montgomery! The Anne books are great, and I like the movies too. I resisted seeing them for a long time, because the second two veer away from the books, especially the third one, but I discovered that I liked the movies, too, even though there are serious discrepencies.

The Blue Castle is my favourite non-Anne LMM book, I think. I also like all 3 Emily books.

I am a member of Monday's LMM board, but it's close to dead - all you LMM fans who aren't already members should join, and those of us who are members should start posting more! ;)
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Catspaw wrote:
I am a member of Monday's LMM board, but it's close to dead - all you LMM fans who aren't already members should join, and those of us who are members should start posting more! ;)
Hear! Hear! :D
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

"Anne of Green Gables" is a book that I love more every time I read it. I've sort of read some of the other books but I didn't like any of them nearly so well. Just recently I read "Anne of Windy Poplars." It was pretty good but not classic like the first book. I think my favorite scene from that book was when this ditzy girl comes to Anne complaining that she doesn't want to marry the guy she's engaged to so Anne interferes on both of their behalf because she believes they're too immature to marry. In the end, they both get mad at her. That may sound like an awful thing to enjoy but it's such a perfect caricature of certain people!
Catspaw wrote:I discovered that I liked the movies, too, even though there are serious discrepencies.
Don't all movies? ;)
Catspaw wrote:The Blue Castle is my favourite non-Anne LMM book, I think.
Whoa, I just read this book for the first time a couple months ago! :lol: After doing a search on Project Gutenberg I located this book and decided to d/l it. When I felt like reading something, I opened it up just to see what it was like. As the chapters progressed I was more and more hooked... I sat in front of my computer screen for hours wanting to know what happened next! Of course there are the typical criticisms that people can have of the story and it was plain as day to me that "Bernard" (aka Barney) was John Foster like as soon as the author first mentione "Bernard." But the Redfern revelation totally caught me off-guard. In conclusion, I confess to greatly enjoying the book.
Catspaw wrote:I am a member of Monday's LMM board, but it's close to dead - all you LMM fans who aren't already members should join, and those of us who are members should start posting more! ;)
Too many boards. :p

My favorite Montgomery book is "Jane of Lantern Hill." It's a very sweet story. :)
Anne
OK

Post by Anne »

Anne of Windy Poplars is my least favorite of the Anne books, I admit mostly because it has almost no references to Gil in it.
I love Blue Castle as well.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I love AOGG, (boy that makes for a strange acronym) Anne represents the girl (for I am a girl...) that I've always wished to be like: smart, dreamy, imaginative, romantic, spunky...most of these things I am not.

We just checked out AOGG Radio Theatre from our church library...it was wonderful. I listened to it for three hours straight the day that we got it. Dreams don't often come true, don't they...wouldn't it be nice if they did? Hmmm. To live a simple, fulfilling life in a beautiful place, with good friends and not have to worry about much...that's my unfulfilled dream. Prolly will never come true, but that's the way life is.

Here's a bit of trivia for all you AIO folks...AOGG is Torry Martin's favorite book.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

It's also Aubrey's and Regis Blackgaard's favorite book. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist...
Those Radio Theatre shows are nice aren't they? :) I didn't notice one error though... for some reason Anne says she's 13 when she comes to Green Gables but she's 11 in the book. At the end of the show she's 16 (just like the book) and she mentions that she's been there for 5 years. I would've loved it if the Radio Theatre version covered even more of the book rather than moving from one dramatic event to another but some people might get bored. Oh well, I still have the book. :)
drwhit73
Gold Member

Post by drwhit73 »

We have all of the movies and have watched them about half a million times a piece (slight exaggeration). They are good and something that I would actually let my daughter watch.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

I love the book. I just started to reread it the day before yesterday. As soon as my sister saw me reading it, she pulled out the screenplay books and began to read those... Yes, the movie is great as well.
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

I loved the books. i ead the whole series straight through they were so good. I can't stand the movies, they were so different from the books.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I haven't read any of the books but I seen al of the movies. There okay but I've never like them all the much. I do enjoy Road to Avonlea though.
Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle

Post by Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle »

I have read some of the books and I have never watched the movie. Is the movie good? I wonder what it is about. I naver saw a wink of it.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think that the first movie is good. It was made in 1985, so it's kind of old by now, but it's still classic! The second movie is good too, but they don't follow the storyline from the books as much. By the third and final movie, the books are totally left behind with regards to the plotline. While I kind of like the third movie, it really doesn't follow the books at all, and changes the timeline too.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

It annoys me so much that they did that with the third movie - why in the world was that neccesary??? Having Gilbert and Anne going to Europe for WWI instead of their son - it makes no sense.

That being said, I did enjoy the first video, and can watch the 2nd even though I'm mentally saying "That person is really this person, and this part came from that book, and that part from another...." and so on and so forth. :)

I love the books and have read the series through many times! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.