Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Who has it?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Can we start a debate about HP on another thread? Because I got my post removed because I did not agree with other people on the ToO.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

dawningoftime wrote:Actually I'm still trying to sort out the ending. Everything happened so fast that even after reading it twice I'm still confused considering there's a MAJOR discrepency between the American and UK book.
What's the difference between the two (besides the design and a few words "translated" from British to American)?

By the way, Ray please warn people at the begining of your posts if you're going to post spoilers (though any HP fan should have the sence to stay away from topics discussing it until they've read the book)
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Here's are the text from both editions the difference is highlighted
"He told me to do it or he'll kill me. I've got not choice." "Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine. What is more, I can send members of the Order to your mother tonight to hide her likewise. Your father is safe at the moment in Azkaban...when the time comes we can protect him too...come over to the right side, Draco...you are not a killer..." Malfoy stared at Dumbledore. (UK 552)
"He told me to do it or he'll kill me. I've got no choice." "He cannot kill you if you are already dead. Come over to the right side Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine. What is more, I can send members of the Order to your mother tonight to hide her likewise. Nobody would be surprised that you had died in your attempt to kill me -- forgive me, but Lord Voldemort probably expects it. Nor would the Death Eaters be surprised that we had captured and killed your mother -- it is what they would do themselves, after all. Your father is safe at the moment in Azkaban...When the time comes we can protect him too. Come over to the right side, Draco...you are not a killer..." Malfoy stared at Dumbledore. (US 591)
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

woah that is confusing! I can't figure out what he means when he talks about capturing and killing his mother...
So do you actually own the US version? (because the text in my copy is just the same as the UK one)
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

yeah I own both. I liked the artwork on the US edition, so I picked it up.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Yay!! I finally finished today!! Now I can't wait for the next book again...... :-s
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I dislike Harry Potter, so I haven't read it.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I am very much anti-Harry Potter and, thus, have not read more than snippets of any of the books and will not be reading this one.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Captain Jack wrote:I dislike Harry Potter, so I haven't read it.
Mandy Straussberg wrote:I am very much anti-Harry Potter and, thus, have not read more than snippets of any of the books and will not be reading this one.

Mandy
Yes! At last, fellow dislikers!
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Neosha
OK

Post by Neosha »

I just got the Harry potter book for my birthday I read it last week and it really good. The ending is really sad I cried it a really good .