Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Who has it?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Shadowpaw wrote:
Frank wrote:Yay! I'm looking forward to my copy more than ever now!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes!
Well, to be fair, it is only my opinion... some people might absolutely hate this book :noway: . Though I like dark stories and this one is certainly the darkest Harry Potter and also the most mature.
Is it darker than say, RoTK
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I'm still looking forward to it...and am interested to know how deep the rabbit hole goes...
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

cutekitten13 wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:
Frank wrote:Yay! I'm looking forward to my copy more than ever now!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes!
Well, to be fair, it is only my opinion... some people might absolutely hate this book :noway: . Though I like dark stories and this one is certainly the darkest Harry Potter and also the most mature.
Is it darker than say, RoTK
They are both very dark stories... though there are many reasons why I feel HP6 is darker than RoTK, but I want people to read this book not knowing what to expect and providing even vague hints may in some small way spoil somebody's full enjoyment of this book.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Shadowpaw wrote:I haven't read as much as I would have liked yet, but I hope to finish it within the next couple of days. I'm also halfway (I think I'm exactly halfway actually). So far I think it's been great... I like it better than "Order of the Phoenix" (which seemed a bit slow), and depending on how the rest of the book is... it may even rank number one or two ("Goblet of Fire" is my favorite so far).
Exactly what he said.... \:D/
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I didn't realize most of you read HP. I assumed that anyone who frequented an AIO board would have parents who objected (like mine). Not saying you're wrong for reading it, or anything; the ones I read were really good. I was just surprised.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I think I started reading the books when I was 15. It was at the time number 4 came out, and my mom went out and bought the whole set. They were sitting in my television room for several weeks and I didn't think they looked all that great (and the artwork looked like they were fairly childish). A friend of mine told me he had heard book number 3 on tape and loved it, so I thought I would at least give it a shot since we owned them and no one in my family was going near them. So I read all 4 in a span of about a week and couldn't believe how great they were. It wasn't until several months later when I was speaking with a friend who told me about the controversy surrounding the books... I had never seen them as anything different than the Chronicles of Narnia or the Lord of the Rings (and I still don't)! O:)

Though, by sharing my feelings on the book, I cannot stress enough that I feel the decision a parent makes for their child regarding these books is one that is to be respected and obeyed. I was blessed that I was able to read these books without looking for something to find offensive or against my beliefs, and these books continue to amaze me at just how wonderful the storylines are (JK Rowling isn't the greatest writer by any stretch of the imagination, but her ability to tell a great story that appeals to millions of kids and adults is unparalleled).

I do hope many people who are against the books will one day at least give them an opportunity. But while many will find their claims were unfounded, I fear just as many will find points to support their claims. Why? Because people looking to find a reason to hate them, will always find a reason to condem them. Like any issue in this world, people will be divided... it's unfortuntate, but I've learned to accept that belief systems vary from person to person: Christian to Christian. That's what makes being human so interesting! :D
Master Kenobi
I've been here a bit

Post by Master Kenobi »

I purchased the book last Sunday and finished it earlier today. I discovered that most of which has been said about the book was right. It is without a doubt the darkest, which is not nessesarily a negative attribute, of the Harry Potter books. Yet even before I'd read what had been said, I had finished the book and loved it. Not only is the story one of the best I've ever seen, but many enlightening details were revealed about the whole Harry Potter storyline. I sometimes found myself unable to set the book down. In fact, the only thing bad about it is that now I have to wait many months, probably even a couple of years before the last chapter is released, and I already have a good idea of what must happen to complete the story. But in the meantime, I don't think I will have a problem reading it time and again in the future. :D
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Frank is now in the process of reading her much-anticipated book. Is half way through. Got it yesterday.
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

I gave up reading it, like always!! My sister is abbrieviating it for me so i don't have to read the whole thing. She said the only stuff important to the plot is in the last 50 pages!!Stinky!!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

ObiWan Kenobi Girl wrote:I gave up reading it, like always!! My sister is abbrieviating it for me so i don't have to read the whole thing. She said the only stuff important to the plot is in the last 50 pages!!Stinky!!
All of the books are that way. This one is the build up to the finale. so the author did it that way on purpose; have a big finale and make everybody crazy for the last book.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

ObiWan Kenobi Girl wrote:I gave up reading it, like always!! My sister is abbrieviating it for me so i don't have to read the whole thing. She said the only stuff important to the plot is in the last 50 pages!!Stinky!!
Actually that's not true (at least I don't see it that way)
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

dont let your sister do that! read the book!
Image [img]
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Frank just finished the Half-Blood Prince and was crying all through the last 50 pages. Wow, that was a good book.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

yeah it had to be the sadest ending out of all of them. :boohoo:
Image [img]
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Actually I'm still trying to sort out the ending. Everything happened so fast that even after reading it twice I'm still confused considering there's a MAJOR discrepency between the American and UK book.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Mr mellow wrote:yeah it had to be the sadest ending out of all of them. :boohoo:
I cry at the thought! :mecry: Oh the death and Harry's turmoil and seeing all that and you having to read him seeing all that...it's just too much! What a great writer! Yea JK Rowling!!! (Not your worldviews...just your writing abilities...)
Me
An original

Post by Me »

dawningoftime wrote:Actually I'm still trying to sort out the ending. Everything happened so fast that even after reading it twice I'm still confused considering there's a MAJOR discrepency between the American and UK book.
Eh? That's strange.
Disqualified
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Disqualified »

Shadowpaw wrote:
I tottaly agree...
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Disqualified wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:
I tottaly agree...
Ditto.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Never been interested in this series...I picked up the first one to see what the fuss was about and lost interest 2 chapters in. I did scan this latest book to find out who died and what the romance was so I could threaten to tell people I know. [At camp...]
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz