G.A. Henty

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

G.A. Henty

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Have Y'all ever heard of G.A. Henty?
He was an English writer who lived in the 1800's. He wrote about a hundred and forty or so books.
Anyway his books are great and I recommend them to all.
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've heard of him - Dr. Watson has many of his books. I personally haven't read any, though I might sometime.

By the way, this probably belongs in Harlequin Theatre. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I have heard of him.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I have definitely heard and read this brilliant author. I enjoy his books very much. Good literature like his is hard to find nowadays.

What books of his do you own, Cowboy?

Cheerio

Doctor Watson
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

The Henty books I have are:

The Cat of Bubastes, Beric the Briton,
The Young Carthaginian, For the Temple,

The Dragon and the Raven, Wulf the Saxon, Winning His Spurs, In Freedom's Cause , The Lion of St. Mark, Knight of the White Cross,

By Pike and Dyke, St. Bartholomew's Eve, Under Drake's Flag, By England's Aid, By Right of Conquest, The Lion of the North, Won by the Sword, A Jacobite Exile,

With Wolfe in Canada,
The Tiger of Mysore, With Moore at Corunna, Under Wellington's Command, Through Russian Snows,

To Herat and Cabul, With Lee in Virginia, For Name and Fame, The Dash for Khartoum

Plus I've read some on the net:

St. George for England, A March on London, Both Sides of the Border, At Agincourt, By England's aid,

Friends Though Divided, When London Burned, The Bravest of the Brave, Bonnie Prince Charlie, True to the Old Flag,

In the Reign of Terror, In Times of Peril, By Sheer Pluck,

(Ps: You can go to knowledgerush.com or classicreader.com and read his books.)

Please try to avoid double posting - you can use the "Edit" button instead. Thanks! - Catspaw
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

It was interesting to read one of his books about the British fighting the Rebel Americans during the War of 1812. [I wish I could remember the date of that war. :- ]

He is British and his writing in that book is totally slanted towards the British side of that whole thing. It was cool because I was used to a total American slant. [Since we were right.] Anyway, it's cool. I've also read books of his about cowboys and something in Israel. I can't remember the titles though.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Yeah, his books usually do have a British slant, but the're still good. For example, True to the Old Flag, one of his books about the American War for Independence, is totally for the British.

The books you were thinking of could be Redskin & Cowboy, and For the Temple.

"All that is nessessary for the thriumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I enjoy his "My Dear Lads" prefaces to each story.
spiderman
insert dash here

Post by spiderman »

i've never read any of his books but i know who he is.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

I like My Dear Lads too.

"All that is nessessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote: The books you were thinking of could be Redskin & Cowboy, and For the Temple.
It was For the Temple, but the other one was something like, "The Western Plains" or something...
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Maybe it was In The Heart of the Rockies?

Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I have about thirty of his books. Sometimes I find it interesting but they all have the same pattern.

A hero... a hero stickaround... a beautiful girl... Hero's conflict... Victory and Marriage.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've read maybe 8 or so of the books. I've liked all of them! :D
COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:Yeah, his books usually do have a British slant, but the're still good. For example, True to the Old Flag, one of his books about the American War for Independence, is totally for the British.
:lol: That'd be interesting to read his "British-slanted" books. I've read his book on the Civil War and he portrayed the South sympathetically but didn't have the main character be an avid proponent of slavery or anything. In fact, he had him move to England in the end. :) I just read "For Freedom's Cause" and in that book he was sympathetic to the Scottish saying that the English king was unnecessarily harsh as well as claiming a throne that wasn't his. Scotland is part of Great Britain now anyway. Also, I don't know for sure what nationality Henty was. He could very well have been of Scottish origin.... or maybe just an honest historian. :)
Ray wrote:I have about thirty of his books. Sometimes I find it interesting but they all have the same pattern.

A hero... a hero stickaround... a beautiful girl... Hero's conflict... Victory and Marriage.
Very true. But I don't read the books looking for a unique storyline... I read them for the history packaged in a nice form. Because the stories are all based on something different, each story is unique in setting and history. Since I love history, that's perfect for me. :)
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:Maybe it was In The Heart of the Rockies?
Nope. ](*,)
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I've read a couple Hentys...but lost interest, cause they're kinda written for adventure-seeking little boys... :D
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Frank wrote:I've read a couple Hentys...but lost interest, cause they're kinda written for adventure-seeking little boys... :D
They don't appeal to Miss Hillingdale Havens? :-k
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Frank wrote:I've read a couple Hentys...but lost interest, cause they're kinda written for adventure-seeking little boys... :D
Henty wrote girls books too ya'know.

Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Really? Hmmmm...I'll haf to look into that...
Dr. Watson wrote:They don't appeal to Miss Hillingdale Havens?
Quite frankly...even though my avvie depicts an adventure seeking little boy...I prefer the psychological struggle classics... :noway:
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Frank wrote:
COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Really? Hmmmm...I'll haf to look into that...
Dr. Watson wrote:They don't appeal to Miss Hillingdale Havens?
Quite frankly...even though my avvie depicts an adventure seeking little boy...I prefer the psychological struggle classics... :noway:
Then I'm sure you'll quite enjoy Jane Eyre.