A Series of Unfortunate Events

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
orangie
OK

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Post by orangie »

Has anyone read this series? I am on book number eight out of the thirteen in the series. So far, I have found them they have been enjoyable to read and I have a hard time putting it down.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I was obsessed with them back as they were being released.. I remember the long, anxious wait for boon number thirteen, and then crying after I finally read it. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
orangie
OK

Post by orangie »

I'm fortunuate. I don't have to wait at all. I heard Lemony Snicket (pseudonym) is going to write a book on his childhood experiences. I am looking forward to that.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

I regretted reading them because most of my questions were never answered, and I think he did that on purpose. I really love how he sinks you into the story with the mystery's and dark humor he adds in. Though I had to suspend disbelief that most grown ups in the series were either useless or a bunch of jerks.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I know, it was so frustrating. After the last book I was like- WHAT THE HECK DOES THE SUGAR BOWL CONTAIN :x I did read them all, but haven't read them since. They aren't really the books you can read over and over again IMO.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

What they said. I liked them at the time, but the ending is a colossal let-down.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Taps wrote:I know, it was so frustrating. After the last book I was like- WHAT THE HECK DOES THE SUGAR BOWL CONTAIN :x I did read them all, but haven't read them since. They aren't really the books you can read over and over again IMO.
AMEN. I was like, "So there's this sugar bowl thing... Ok, book 11, maybe I get to find out what's inside! Ok, book 12 This is it!! Book 13 I get to find out what it is now! I have to! It's "The End!"............. WHAT IS INSIDE OF IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)"
Even his, "Unauthorised Autobiography," didn't shed too much light into it... But still, a WONDERFUL series, because it drives me crazy. :D ](*,) ](*,)
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I so want to read this series again. The other night my sisters and I were sitting around the fire pit cooking marshmallows and talking about the series and how we loved reading it, and I got this nostalgic feeling. I hope he writes some more books someday.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

EvangelineWalker wrote:I so want to read this series again. The other night my sisters and I were sitting around the fire pit cooking marshmallows and talking about the series and how we loved reading it, and I got this nostalgic feeling. I hope he writes some more books someday.
Lemony Snicket actually is writing more book. Its called "All the Wrong Questions", kinda like a prequel to the "Series of Unfortunate Events" and it will further explain
VFD and the "Great Unknown" (some scary thing that Count Olaf was even afraid of)

I'm looking forward to it!
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I am still a believer in the "Volunteer Fire Department" :x
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Taps wrote:I am still a believer in the "Volunteer Fire Department" :x
I always hoped it was something.. more, though. :( I know it stood for lots of things, but I was hoping the very root of the acronym would be some huge revealing secret.

When I think about it, A Series of Unfortunate Events was kinda like Lost. :noway:
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

So, I am now re-reading (or listening, if you want to be picky; AUDIO BOOKS RULE!) this series, and it's even better the second time through. Some of the books are narrated by the author (who does a fantastic job making them terribly dismal), and some of them are narrated by Tim Curry (who does a fantastic job making them terribly entertaining \:D/), but each of them contains a corresponding song from The Tragic Treasury (by The Gothic Archies) which compliment the books better than I could have ever imagined. Once I re-finish the series, I'm planning on purchasing the entire album, simply because it's just fantastically dismal. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I have that album somewhere! It IS fantastically dismal. \:D/
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

So, I know most of the people posting in here are fans of the series, so I thought I'd make a proposition to you...
Would anyone of you be willing to purchase this T-shirt that I've designed?
The more people I get who want one, the cheaper they will be.
For example, if I buy 3 of them, they'd be $38.51 each, but if I were to buy 10 of them, they'd be $18.51 apiece.
If you're interested, please respond with your shirt size, and how much you'd be willing to pay for one. If enough people are interested, I'll order them.
Note: I would receive no profit from these shirts, I simply wish to buy one myself, and I'm required to order 3 t-shirts, at the very least. I would only charge you what I payed for the shirt, plus shipping costs.
They/Them
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

I really enjoyed reading the books series, although I still haven't read the prequel series yet, but I plan to at some point. I am also hoping that one of his other books explains what is in the sugar bowl.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bananareader wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:39 pm I really enjoyed reading the books series, although I still haven't read the prequel series yet, but I plan to at some point. I am also hoping that one of his other books explains what is in the sugar bowl.
There are definitely too many unanswered questions! I read somewhere (can't remember where online because it was a long time ago) that when the author was asked what was in the sugar bowl, he would sometimes answer something along the lines on, "Just what you'd expect to find in a sugar bowl." Sugar...but with a taste as bitter as wormwood maybe? :-k One thing I liked about the show is that they actually seemed to leave fewer unnecessary cliffhangers in the finale than the book.