Purpose Driven Life

by Rick Warren

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

mr. mellow wrote:
Snaggly Maggly wrote:
Mr mellow wrote:
MDB17 wrote:my church did the Purpuse driven life
same. I was about to die of boredom :-$
Is it a boring book? Did the pastor preach the book or just read it? Did you all think it was a good book, just boring?
well the paster gave a copy to each family in the church and we were spossed to read like a chapter a night at the dinner table...but it ended up taking us like a year to finish the stupid book cause we would read a lot less then one chapter... and the paster was way ahead of us anyway.... the funny thing is I cant remmber one thing about the sermens or the book exept that the writer would constantly use the phrase "Ought not" and it drove me crazy!
that all i remember too
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:Our family has it, although I have only read the first two chapters or so. It already seems very "dumbed down" to me... like surrounding the truth of the Bible with fluffy, cotton candy-ish content(can't think of analogies at the moment, my apologies) and making a whole book out of that. I already feel like even the first two chapters would be drastically shortened if all the extraneous stuff was taken out. I don't know- I just feel like reading the Bible itself and relying on God would be a much better way to discover God's purpose for my life and be reminded of how to live.
Well said, especially the last sentence.

-Jonathan
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Our church went through the books together and I found I got more out of the messages then I got out of the book itself. My main problem with the book was you could never tell when a translation or a paraphrase was being used and the reference were all in the back. Some of what Rick Warren had to say was good, but some of it wasn't. If you're a Christian and you want a really good book to read... The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus is really good. We just went through it as a small group for young adults and he had some really good insights.