American Girls

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

American Girls

Post by Evil Chick »

Hey, you girls out there! Did any of you used to read the American Girls books? I started reading them when I was five, and I even got one of the dolls, and clothes and all of that. I loved those books! Just wondering, if any of you loved them, too.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Oh, they were quite the rage back in the day; many of my friends had the dolls and read all the books. I never got into them, however, and I'm not sure why. In our weekly library sessions at school, the librarian once forced me to check out an American Girl book, which I returned without reading the next week. Also, I remember once when our school got American Girl trading cards, and they were giving out Molly and Samantha for free. I chose Molly at random; I really didn't care about the card and was just taking it to take one. But I recall this one boy in my class saying he chose Samantha and that she was the best. Oh, that troubled soul, I wonder what became of him.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have a Kirsten doll and the books. I fell in love with her because of the time period.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I used to really love the books. I have a MOLLY doll and the series. But then they just started making one for every occassion and they didn't seem so special.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

me and my sister used to play with them. :) every christmas we got the new seasonal dress/outfit thing. i have felicity [whose hair is definetly not in perfect condition due to all the hair stuff i put in it. lol]..i also have the Kit doll..but i got her about one year before i stopped playing with them..so i didnt play with her much. :D i think at one point, my sister had all the american girl books. lol..i read a few of them.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Yes! Yes! My darling sister and I LOVE American Girl stuff! Or...we used to love it. When I was around 8 or so...my father dearest convinced me and Barbies were a waste of time and from the devil, :D and so had us sell our humongous collection (at least 40 Barbies...all in excellant condition...we took good care of our toys.) at a garage sale for around $50. The next birthday I recieved a Samantha doll! And my sister got Felicity for her birthday too! It was such jolly good fun! I have dresses and dresses and tons of food and accessories. My grandmother even made me a nightgown to match my doll's! Oh...and we had the complete collection of all the little mini dolls. Soo cute! My sister and I would play for days and days on one storyline. \:D/

But unfortunately, Frank has lost her taste for dolls. So sad. :sniff: Samantha is sleeping in a box up in Frank's closet. It's very sad when one looses interest in toys...and all the things that you used to hold ever so dear. :mecry: I've played with toys until the beginning of this summer...and then all of a sudden I just have no wish to play with them anymore! No! Frank must never grow up! *flies off to Neverland*
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

LovedbyGod wrote:But then they just started making one for every occassion and they didn't seem so special.
Yes, I remember as a young child the American Girl shelf in the library and noticed every time it changed and added one. Now, there are so many new girls.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

LovedbyGod wrote:I used to really love the books. I have a MOLLY doll and the series. But then they just started making one for every occassion and they didn't seem so special.
Haha...my name is...

I have Molly, and tons of other dolls. Me and my sister probably have 5-7 dolls!

I was also into Bitty Baby. Were any of you?

Oh, and about the books, we have a ton of them, but I haven't really read them...my sister has though. They are hers.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Yeah, I have the Molly doll, as well.

And, I have Bitty Baby, too! And a ton of clothes and stuff for her!!!
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Evil Chick wrote:Yeah, I have the Molly doll, as well.

And, I have Bitty Baby, too! And a ton of clothes and stuff for her!!!
Yeah, same here. I have tons and tons of stuff for Bitty Baby, and regular American Dolls. We loved them.
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Ah, yes....American Girls. I used to read those books over and over again. :)
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I have the Samantha, Addy, Molly, Kirsten, and Felecity books. My sister has the Josephia books. We don't have the Kit books, or that Indian, um, I mean Native American, ;) girl. I can't remember her name. But, we have that doll. A friend of ours won that doll in a contest, and since she only has boys, she gave it to us!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Evil Chick wrote:I have the Samantha, Addy, Molly, Kirsten, and Felecity books. My sister has the Josephia books. We don't have the Kit books, or that Indian, um, I mean Native American, ;) girl. I can't remember her name. But, we have that doll. A friend of ours won that doll in a contest, and since she only has boys, she gave it to us!
Uh...I think her name is Kaya...that Native American...I didn't read her books....waah.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Frank wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:I have the Samantha, Addy, Molly, Kirsten, and Felecity books. My sister has the Josephia books. We don't have the Kit books, or that Indian, um, I mean Native American, ;) girl. I can't remember her name. But, we have that doll. A friend of ours won that doll in a contest, and since she only has boys, she gave it to us!
Uh...I think her name is Kaya...that Native American...I didn't read her books....waah.
Ah, yes. Kaya. Well, we have the first one of her books (it came with the doll), but not the other ones.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Evil Chick wrote:Hey, you girls out there! Did any of you used to read the American Girls books? I started reading them when I was five, and I even got one of the dolls, and clothes and all of that. I loved those books! Just wondering, if any of you loved them, too.
I saw those thing before....they looked strange...
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Shaggy wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:Hey, you girls out there! Did any of you used to read the American Girls books? I started reading them when I was five, and I even got one of the dolls, and clothes and all of that. I loved those books! Just wondering, if any of you loved them, too.
You're a boy. This is a chick topic. Go away EK. :D
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Frank wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
:anxious: Nevaaaaaaar!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Shaggy wrote:
Frank wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
:anxious: Nevaaaaaaar!
No, no. She has a point, EK. Check out the bold writing.
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

:-s I haven't read any of the books based on the girls, bhut I have read the books that are just...there. Ex~ A Smart Girls guide To Starting Middle School, A smart Girls Guide To Friendship troubles, A Smart girls guide to boys. There's a lot of them, I have some, but most of them i read in the store or got from the library. They're kinda for little kids (younger than me, if you can imagine that).
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've read them all....we own all the Addy books, 1 Felicity, and 3 Josefina. Plus 3 of the cookbooks.

My least favorite was probably the Kaya books, because they kept putting in all this Indian religion stuff.

I also just saw at the library "American Girl Mysteries". They were okay too. I have to admit, I still read them just because I hate not to have read one of the American Girl books! So I've read the little tiny ones, and the mysteries, and all the regular books of course.

I never had the dolls, but I always loved to look through the magazine with all the outfits. :inlove: *sigh*
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.