What Not to Read

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz, Part 2")

Re: What Not to Read

Postby Joy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Some of my least favourite books last year were:

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen: I really wanted to like it, especially since Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books of all time. I just didn't care for the romance or the characters, and found it to be really boring compared to her other books.

Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer: Really disrespectful to people who have suffered trauma, and just a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE ending.

Ruby Red by Kersten Gier: This was very childish and simply written for a book meant for teenagers. The characters were annoying, the love interest was chauvinistic in my opinion, and nothing much happened.

The Selection by Kiera Cass: The first book was okay, and a very easy and quick read. The second one was absolute poop, the love interests were uninspiring and the main character was wimpy.

Those are just a few of my most disappointing reads of the year. I definitely found myself much more critical when it came to reading in 2015.
I'm as fancy as Penguin!
Joy

*yawn* I like crackers.

Cash on hand: 63.52
Bank: 98.09

Re: What Not to Read

Postby Petrichor » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:23 pm

I would say that one of my most disappointing reads this year was The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick. I didn't buy the idea that Lizzie could be in grad school writing tons of papers and running her video diaries online AND writing hundreds of pages in a secret diary. The book had a couple little extras thrown in that were kind of fun, but mostly it had the same material as the The Lizzie Bennet Diaries videos. It was really stilted and awkward and I would really recommend leaving the book alone and just sticking with the videos.
I guess I'll stick around
Petrichor

The best is yet to come.

Cash on hand: 56.61
Bank: 500.00

Previous

Return to Holstein's Books