New Father Gilbert Mystery

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
New Father Gilbert Mystery

Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

I don't know if anyone else is a fan of the Radio Theatre mysteries featuring Father Gilbert, but I enjoyed them. I like his mysteries with a spiritual twist, kind of like a modern day Brother Cadfael.

I just found out today the Paul McCusker has published a book featuring a new Father Gilbert mystery. The book is called the Body Under the Bridge. According to Paul McCusker's facebook page this book is just as creepy as the audio dramas :anxious:
Amazon description wrote:A former Scotland Yard detective, Father Gilbert knows about death. But, now a priest of a modest Anglican church in the small town of Stonebridge, he didn't expect it to show up like this - in the suicide of a man who threw himself off the church tower, and in the discovery of a two-hundred-year-old body beneath an ancient bridge. The deaths are linked. The mummified corpse under the bridge, a murder victim, reignites a centuries-old battle between two local families - the Todds and the aristocratic Hayshams. Then both David Todd and Lord Haysham begin to act strangely. They are fearful for reasons they won't explain. When Lord Haysham is murdered, David Todd is the prime suspect. But Todd is acting maniacal, claiming great forces of evil are at work. An entire history of violence and depravity begins to emerge - interweaving the history of several local families with a secret occult society that engages in Black Masses. Has the Society emerged again?
The book is available on Amazon. I'll be checking it out!
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love the Father Gilbert stories! For some reason I thought the new book wasn't available yet. It looks like the Kindle version was available before the physical copy, so maybe that's why. I definitely want to read it. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Amazon has the paperback copy. CBD says the paperback will be available on 1-27. Books A Million has it in stock as well.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Oy, that sounds creepy...
Does anyone know if they plan on making a Radio Theatre version? That would be sooooo much better than just a book.
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Lizzy88 wrote:Oy, that sounds creepy...
Does anyone know if they plan on making a Radio Theatre version? That would be sooooo much better than just a book.
It would but are they even doing Radio Theatre any more? I don't think they are.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

I'm hoping that I'm wrong about this, but I think Radio Theatre died when Paul McCusker left.
:cry:
Last edited by Lizzy88 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I vaguely recall it ended before that but can't remember exactly when. The why was that it was too expensive.
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Really!? I don't think I've heard about that on the aio update or anything. In an interview with Paul McCusker last year, he talked about possible future FotFRT dramas. That was about when it was announced he was leaving, so it certainly didn't end before he left.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Like Laurie, I remember hearing that the cost was a significant factor. They have made a few things in recent years, but not much compared to what they previously had done. I don't think Radio Theatre is totally ended, but it is quite limited.