Left Behind

Any left behind fans out there?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
map
Found

Left Behind

Post by map »

Any Left Behind fans out there? The new prequel comes out on Nov 12th. That should be another excellent book.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I used to be a Left Behinder :-

But now...

Well, there just not biblically accurate. They're really nice stories and I kept reading them after I disagreed with them but...

Actually, I stopped reading when David was killed. He was my favorite character by far and then --- poof --- they killed him for no good reason. :x

Oh well
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
map
Found

Post by map »

What do you think in inaccurate about them?
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

yeah there just speculation
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have read all of the adult books and most of the kids series. I have not read the prequel yet.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

neither have i
map
Found

Post by map »

The books are based on Biblical scripture, but it is the authors interpretation of when the rapture will happen and what will happen after. God only knows when the rapture will happen.

I don't think that takes away from the books, it just makes me want to be ready for whenever God calls us home.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I liked them at first, and ended up reading the original adult series (not the prequels). But, by the end I really disliked it. The inaccuracy was part of it, but also the whole story could have been told in much fewer books, but they kept dragging things out and publishing in giant print and adding new characters that you didn't care about just to pad them out for numerous volumes--all this I assume to make more money. \:D/ Which is totally what I would do! \:D/ But now they used that idea and it will seem like I'm copying if I ever do it. :x So I don't like "Left Behind" anymore. :x
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I have never read the books, but I have seen the movies. :D
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I've read them all. For the most part I like them, but the prequels seem to be stretching it a bit. They're OK, though.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Brian wrote:I liked them at first, and ended up reading the original adult series (not the prequels). But, by the end I really disliked it. The inaccuracy was part of it, but also the whole story could have been told in much fewer books, but they kept dragging things out and publishing in giant print and adding new characters that you didn't care about just to pad them out for numerous volumes--all this I assume to make more money. \:D/ Which is totally what I would do! \:D/ But now they used that idea and it will seem like I'm copying if I ever do it. :x So I don't like "Left Behind" anymore. :x
It's true they were stretched out longer than necessary. That my only complaint. Other than that I loved them. I don't see what was so "inaccurate" about them. They just followed a literal interpretation of scripture.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

map wrote:What do you think in inaccurate about them?
If you want my personal opinion than you can PM me about it, but getting into a eschatology debate is not really the intent of this thread and would probably cause it to be moved somewhere else.

For now, Top's second reason (that it simply dragged on and on) is another main reason why I dropped out.

On a side note, the Left Behind forum was my first interaction with a forum of this or any kind and the first forum I joined and really got into. That was like 6 years ago though :-
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I'm just popping in on this thread to note a few things...

I think something to keep in mind is, you can't go the novels, the movies, or even music to get "religion." This isn't to say that you can't 'hear' about God and seek Him out, but I'm saying that you can't go the some movie and expect to see the actual, Biblical version of God and that's how you'll get your fill. Just don't expect the movies or books to give you the accurate side, because most of the time, it won't.

And... I stopped reading once David was killed. He was my favorite and I cried while reading the part about his death. :(
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

If we all believed that evil will take over and Jesus will come at the last possible moment, isn't that the way for apathy? We are to conquer the world for Christ. Now I do not wish to get into an escathalogical debate either.
Last edited by Samwise on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i have read all of them
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I actually enjoy the radio dramas better. They make the books (which seemed to drag on forever) bearable.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

dawningoftime wrote:I actually enjoy the radio dramas better. They make the books (which seemed to drag on forever) bearable.
Same here. They are also better than the movies.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I too was angered by David's death, but since I had read so much I did finish the series.

-Jonathan
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

THe only death that I was angry with was Buck's death. Rayford had been asking for it for the entire series because he's been more reckless then Buck.

Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Laurie wrote:
dawningoftime wrote:I actually enjoy the radio dramas better. They make the books (which seemed to drag on forever) bearable.
Same here. They are also better than the movies.
They are AWESOME. My cousin heard that I liked Radio Drama, so when he saw some Left Behind tapes for a dollar, he bought them for me. I was hooked!

Actually, I think that a lot of Left Behind IS accurate. I do agree that there are some errors, though.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless