How were you introduced to Narnia

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")

How where you introduced to Narnia?

Written Order
74%
Cronological Order
22%
other
4%

Total votes: 23

Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Hm. That's really interesting. I still won't read them in chronological order because they make a whole lot more sense to me in written order. But I won't feel so indignant about it anymore. :-$

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

STRYPER wrote:Yeah, I remember that C.S. Lewis wanted them to be read in chronological order but I humbly disagree with him :-#
Haha, I understand :). My only point was that if people are going to read the books the "way the author intended"... then they have been reading them incorrectly ;).
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

My dad bought and read them to me when I was seven, and they were in chronological order.

I don't have a preference. Either way is fine with me.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I read TLWTW first in grade 4 for school, and after that I read them in chronological order. To me, it makes more sense to do so, but other people can read them in whatever order they want to. :) Maybe one time I'll try to read them all in the written order, since it seems to be highly recommended! \:D/
map
Found

Post by map »

I read them in written order when I was younger. I think I will introduce them to my son in written order as well. I was surprised the first time I saw the new order in the store.

I think there was something more enjoyable about have loose ends wrapped up later in the story line rather than sooner.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

the movies are being made in written order, since that 's the best way to introduce it to a new audience. I originally saw the BBC movies first, then read them in chronological order. The reason they're usually ordered chronologically is because C.S. Lewis prefered it that way.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Elrohir wrote:the movies are being made in written order
Are you sure???

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just wanted to release LWW because of its popularity, and the next one they plan on releasing is Magician's Nephew.

Why did Radio Theatre release them that way??
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

i read them in written order, however, i may have read The Last Battle beofre Magician's Nephew i don't remember. however i am glad i read magician's nephew later on intead of at the beginning. even though it happened first chronologically, i enjoy it more having read the rest of the series first. since lewis wrote Lion....first it has a more introductory feeling to it, it's like the classic "first". and when i read the magician's nephew, there is something about the fact that i know what's going on that makes the book special, and i think you can almost tell that it was written later without having been told.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

STRYPER wrote:
Are you sure???
That hasn't been confirmed yet. Apparently, if this first movie does well at the box office, they'll go ahead and continue with the rest of the Chronicles. The order in which they'd shoot the movies, however, has yet to be decided. :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Although it has been rumored that a script for Prince Caspian has been started.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Prince Caspian makes a much better sequel than Magician's Nephew so I would think that the studio would go there if they wanted to make another one.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Not to mention that the children need to remain consistently young unless they recast the children. Doing Magician's Nephew next would give the children too much time to age before they get around to filming Prince Caspian.

That's why I like how Focus on the Family recorded ALL 7 at the same time, so that the children remained the same age and didn't dramatically age in between the releases.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

poWerbOy wrote: and when i read the magician's nephew, there is something about the fact that i know what's going on that makes the book special, and i think you can almost tell that it was written later without having been told.
The same thing can happen if you read it in chronological order. I didn't know what Narnia was until I read that first book, and was still able to find it 'magical', special, whichever adjective you want to attach to it.

-Jonathan
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Shadowpaw wrote:Not to mention that the children need to remain consistently young unless they recast the children. Doing Magician's Nephew next would give the children too much time to age before they get around to filming Prince Caspian.

That's why I like how Focus on the Family recorded ALL 7 at the same time, so that the children remained the same age and didn't dramatically age in between the releases.
That's a good point, I never really thought of that. If they tried to do it in chronological order they would have a huge mess on their hands. But Writing order makes sense from a movie perspective :thumbsup:
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Whatever order the big one with all the books combined is.... :anxious:
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
STRYPER wrote:
Are you sure???
That hasn't been confirmed yet. Apparently, if this first movie does well at the box office, they'll go ahead and continue with the rest of the Chronicles. The order in which they'd shoot the movies, however, has yet to be decided. :-k
okay, maybe what I meant to say was that it's most likely that they'll make them in this order. when there's no official word of a sequel, then it's possible there won't even be one. But, that would be very unlikely.
It makes the most sense for them to make them in the order they were originally introduced to an audience. Although they haven't said this for sure, I would be very surprised if they didn't.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I think I read them in this order:

Lion, Witch, Wardrobe,
Magician's nephew
etc
etc

I like the Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe the very best...I just didn't want it to end. I am SO excited for the movies. The other books never excited me much.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

My Mom had the Hole set but i was little so i never read them, Mom read the first one a long time ago. We started watching the BBC movie versions those where "ok" but as soon as i saw that they were making a movie i started reading them. I on the 2nd one Prince Caspin, The Silver Chair was my favorite BBC movie, so i bet it'll be my favorite book.

-Robo
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
STRYPER wrote:
Are you sure???
I believe I heard from one of the websites that Prince Caspian IS the next one that they will do if this one turns out well.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

Arwen wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:
STRYPER wrote:
Are you sure???
I believe I heard from one of the websites that Prince Caspian IS the next one that they will do if this one turns out well.
i'm sure it will do good it looks good and the book is a classic so i'm sure people will want to see it

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can