How were you introduced to Narnia

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")

How where you introduced to Narnia?

Written Order
74%
Cronological Order
22%
other
4%

Total votes: 23

STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

How were you introduced to Narnia

Post by STRYPER »

As a side thread to the already existing Narnia thread, I was wondering....

How many people were introduced to Narnia via the written order:
1. Lion Witch Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. Voyage
4. Silver Chair
5. Horse and Boy
6. Magician's Nephew
7. Last Battle

or were you introduced to Narnia via the cronological order:
1. Magician's Nephew
2. Lion Witch Wardrobe
3. Horse and Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. Voyage
6. Silver Chair
7. Last Battle

I've often wondered who experiences the more pleasure out of the series. Do you think it makes a difference? Which one would you want to introduce someone to? Like, your kids maybe?
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I read them in a random order, but I like the written order the best.

It's one thing to read them in a different order if you want to, but it annoys me that now the publishers number them differently then originally intended...
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

cant remember but i know the lw and the w was first
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Gah!!!! It annoys me to no end when people put them in chronological order! :mad: When I received my Radio Theatre CD's they were like that and the first thing I did was put them in the correct order! :noway:

Why can't people leave them like the author intended?
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Written order.
...I hate marquees.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

I'm actually surprised that a lot of people did the written order first (I did). I was almost positive that most were used to the cronological
Laura Ingalls wrote:Gah!!!! It annoys me to no end when people put them in chronological order! When I received my Radio Theatre CD's they were like that and the first thing I did was put them in the correct order!

Why can't people leave them like the author intended?
My reaction exactly (except for the Gah!!! part). I am always annoyed with people who release these things in cornological order. I assumed it was because more people followed it this way and weren't as confused...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I first read them in written order, and then went back and re-read them in chronological.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I'm with the majority on this one. I read them (three times) in written order. I will never read them in chronological order and I will never introduce them in chronological order. Furthermore, as long as the real order is an option, I will never buy them in chronological order. The first time I saw the different numbering in the store, I got so mad, I walked out.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Momma read them to us in written order, but I went back and read them in chronological order, too.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I was "introduced" in Cronological Order, but read them in written order. :)
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I've always thought in chronological order. That's probably because of the order in which we discussed them in TPS Narnia class, though...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

i read them in written order i think
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Through the BBC videos.
When reading them though it was through the chronological order (though I think I read Wardrobe first)
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

i think it would have been more sutible in a cubourd
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

My mom read them to me when I was like 10 or so. She read them in the written order.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Ferder wrote:Through the BBC videos.
When reading them though it was through the chronological order (though I think I read Wardrobe first)
If I was going to read them in chronological order, I would have to start with LWW first. There's no way someone can read Magician's Nephew first and appreciate it as much.

That's why when Radio Theatre released Narnia, I wasn't as upset that they did them in chronological because they introduced the series with LWW.

I wonder what order Disney will demand if they decide to do a sequel...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

My parents read us TLTWTW at least once when me and my siblings were little, and I'm sure I saw at least one film. When I actually read the series several years ago I read them in chronological order. I saw no problem with that, as it helped me understand what Narnia was to a greater extent.

-Jonathan
Zeba
Still standing tall

Post by Zeba »

J-man wrote:Written order.
Same here
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I read Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe first (in grade 4) and read the rest in chronological order.

Though I'm not sure everyone is on the same page here... some people say that we should read them the way the author intended (written order) but CS Lewis himself believed the books should be read in chronological order (this fact is mentioned in the Radio Theatre series and encouraged by Douglas Gresham as the way to read the books). This is what CS Lewis said in a book "Letters to Children."
CS Lewis wrote:I think I agree with your order {i.e. chronological} for reading the books more than with your mother's. The series was not planned beforehand as she thinks. When I wrote The Lion I did not know I was going to write any more. Then I wrote P. Caspian as a sequel and still didn't think there would be any more, and when I had done The Voyage I felt quite sure it would be the last. But I found as I was wrong. So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them. I'm not even sure that all the others were written in the same order in which they were published.
The books were re-numbered the way they are today as a result of Douglas Gresham's wishes (acting on behalf of his step-father).

The bottom line is I don't think the order matters ;). And while CS Lewis certainly wrote the books in a particular order, the way he intended them to be read leans more towards the chronological order.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Yeah, I remember that C.S. Lewis wanted them to be read in chronological order but I humbly disagree with him :-#
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became